pfSense Box

Hikaru12

I've been wanting to do a pfSense deployment for a while now. I'd argue that this isn't really "overkill", it has far more horsepower than using a re-purposed older computer and is going to be more power efficient. I might have gone for one of the low voltage I3's, but that's just me

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

You can definetly install it on a flash drive because thats how you boot it up. It's like a live Linux CD. You don't have to install it on a drive if you don't want to. Just speeds it up and gives you more space for packages.

Probably could have gone with a haswell for even less power consumption but it can be undervolted. Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

So a long standing update - I have since abandoned PfSense because quite frankly I'm still a network newbie :P. I have traded it for the Asus Rt-AC68U. Runs smooth and I get really good Wi-fi reception. So good in fact that I decided to convert the pfSense box to a Ubuntu machine and have it to play around with in the basement for web surfing and programming. I'll be adding my other 8GB stick of G.Skill and tidying up the wires and call this build officially done. I added a Noctua NF-12 to the front for silence. Will also be adding a Mac Mini down here so I'll get to play around with the 3 major OS'es. :D

308zigh.jpg

2llhjs9.jpg

30xhrbk.jpg

sligbr.jpg

25pq0ci.jpg