New GPU decision with AMD price hikes

RzarEater

So I have a EVGA 560 1GB Non-Ti.  I asked a few months ago about upgrading to a 280x or 760 and came out with the decision to get a 280x.  However since the price hikes of the AMD cards, and the price decreases of the NVidia Cards, I have begun to reevaluate my decision.  I should mention that I'm not opposed to AMD cards, just with their price hikes I wanted to get a new opinion of my options.  

For around the 300-400 USD mark, what would be the best GPU I can get? Also I'm reading that the 800 series is slated to be out Q1 of this year, and if that's the case, would waiting be a better option?

Energy efficiency is relatively important for me, but not a deciding factor.

I want to run in 5760x1080 or 3240x1920, 60 fps @ reasonably good graphic settings and playing games like:

Skyrim, heavily modded

Borderlands 2

Civ 4/5

Guild Wars 2

I will not be playing Battlefield 4 or Crysis 3.  So if we could avoid the flame war I had on my last thread about those 2 and Titans v 780Ti, that would be great.  

My Rig

CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.0Ghz | Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X OC | PSU: Seasonic SS-660P2 | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | WD Black 4TB x2 | CASE: NZXT H440  

F@H Stats:  http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=RzarEater

You would probably have to get the 4gb version of the 760 for 3 monitor, i assume you are running 3 monitor because you have 5760x1080

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

you could get a 770 for around 350 which performs pretty much the same as a 280x.

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

You would probably have to get the 4gb version of the 760 for 3 monitor, i assume you are running 3 monitor because you have 5760x1080

Indeed I have 3 monitors.  However, when I asked a few months back about the 760 4GB vs the 280x, it was overwhelmingly in favor of the 280x.

you could get a 770 for around 350 which performs pretty much the same as a 280x.

Would that be the 2GB or the 4GB version?

My Rig

CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.0Ghz | Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X OC | PSU: Seasonic SS-660P2 | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | WD Black 4TB x2 | CASE: NZXT H440  

F@H Stats:  http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=RzarEater

Would that be the 2GB or the 4GB version?

well usually the 4gb version is a bit of a waste but considering the resolution and the heavily modded skyrim you want to play it might be the better option. You can get the asus 4gb version for 379 on newegg

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

You're gonna need a GPU with more than 2 GB of VRAM. Especially at those resolutions. Something like a 780 might be best for you. The 770 with 4gb is iffy, a lot of people say it's not worth it because it can't fully utilize the full 4gb due to only having a 256bit memory bus.

Also, from what I've seen GW2 is not very well graphically optimized. I tried running it at 5760x1080 with my dual 670s (overclocked to all hell also). Some places I'd push 140 FPS on ultra even at those resolutions, and in others I could barley get 20. Even in different parts of a city.

You're gonna need a GPU with more than 2 GB of VRAM. Especially at those resolutions. Something like a 780 might be best for you. The 770 with 4gb is iffy, a lot of people say it's not worth it because it can't fully utilize the full 4gb due to only having a 256bit memory bus.

Also, from what I've seen GW2 is not very well graphically optimized. I tried running it at 5760x1080 with my dual 670s (overclocked to all hell also). Some places I'd push 140 FPS on ultra even at those resolutions, and in others I could barley get 20. Even in different parts of a city.

The trouble with a 780 is how to justify the added $100+ over the 770.  Unfortunately I know Guild Wars 2 is not well GPU optimized, as in things like WvWvW, my 3570k is the bottleneck, not my 560.

I should mention that I'm not opposed to AMD cards, just with their price hikes I wanted to get a new opinion of my options.  (added to first post as well)

My Rig

The trouble with a 780 is how to justify the added $100+ over the 770.  Unfortunately I know Guild Wars 2 is not well GPU optimized, as in things like WvWvW, my 3570k is the bottleneck, not my 560.

I should mention that I'm not opposed to AMD cards, just with their price hikes I wanted to get a new opinion of my options.  (added to first post as well)

I'd say the justification is the better performance. But, if you're willing to sacrifice a little bit on the graphic settings you should still be able to get away with those resolutions with a 770. If you can keep that card cool, you can overclock the hell out of it and that'll help quite a bit.

I'd say the justification is the better performance. But, if you're willing to sacrifice a little bit on the graphic settings you should still be able to get away with those resolutions with a 770. If you can keep that card cool, you can overclock the hell out of it and that'll help quite a bit.

I also added it to my first post, but I was reading that 800 series is slated to be out Q1 of this year, would be worth waiting a few months, as I have to save up a bit more cash to get a 770?

My Rig

The prices of the AMD cards should come down in just a little while, probably when the 800 series comes out the 280X or 290 will be very please on the pocket once again. They will drop in price and the 800 series will drop them even further, maybe lower then the released price tag, I'm optimistic. If not than the 760 4GB should be fine, c'mon its current gen technology, I wouldn't think the 770 is so bad too, though then again I haven't looked into the detailed analysis' or specs.

Wait til March or when the 800 series comes out, whichever comes later.

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I also added it to my first post, but I was reading that 800 series is slated to be out Q1 of this year, would be worth waiting a few months, as I have to save up a bit more cash to get a 770?

The prices of the AMD cards should come down in just a little while, probably when the 800 series comes out the 280X or 290 will be very please on the pocket once again. They will drop in price and the 800 series will drop them even further, maybe lower then the released price tag, I'm optimistic. If not than the 760 4GB should be fine, c'mon its current gen technology, I wouldn't think the 770 is so bad too, though then again I haven't looked into the detailed analysis' or specs.

Wait til March or when the 800 series comes out, whichever comes later.

Don't get me wrong, the 760 and 770 are awesome cards. Their only limitation is the 2gb VRAM, and the 256 memory bus. Especially at the resolutions you're looking to play at. If you're willing to wait, it might be worth it to see what the 800 series GPUs have to offer. It would make sense that most of them will come with at least three GB of ram considering the high demand for higher resolutions. I'm actually pretty excited for them and I'm considering selling one of my 670s and putting the other in a second build so I can upgrade to an 800 series GPU and liquid cool it when it comes out. I also play at 5760x1080, hence why I used SLI and why I want to upgrade. I am not one to sacrifice on graphics quality. :P

Whichever you choose, good luck and I hope you enjoy it because it'll be a MASSIVE upgrade over your current GPU. :)

EDIT: Not to mention if you do wait, and decide that you don't want an 800 series GPU, the prices will drop on 700 series GPUS (as well as AMD). Honestly, win win situation there lol.

GTX 760 - Good, but probably lower budget. Don't even opt for the 4GB version, the 760 can't even utilize all that VRAM.

GTX 770 - Probably the only thing reasonably within your budget. The only issue is that it will eventually hit the 2GB cap, especially on those resolutions. Don't get the 4GB, same reason.

GTX 780 - A bit above your budget, actually offers an effective amount of VRAM, and a bit stronger than the 770. The 770 is better price/performance in my opinion, but the VRAM is what would do you best with a triple monitor rig.

R9 290 - Doesn't VisionTek have it at MSRP? It's reference cooler, but it's almost on par with the 780 for $100 less. Worst case, you might as well spend the extra dough on the Kraken G10. That would be decent, maybe.

You could wait for Maxwell. Maybe the 870 will be available at $400 and with an effective amount of VRAM.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Don't get me wrong, the 760 and 770 are awesome cards. Their only limitation is the 2gb VRAM, and the 256 memory bus. Especially at the resolutions you're looking to play at. If you're willing to wait, it might be worth it to see what the 800 series GPUs have to offer. It would make sense that most of them will come with at least three GB of ram considering the high demand for higher resolutions. I'm actually pretty excited for them and I'm considering selling one of my 670s and putting the other in a second build so I can upgrade to an 800 series GPU and liquid cool it when it comes out. I also play at 5760x1080, hence why I used SLI and why I want to upgrade. I am not one to sacrifice on graphics quality. :P

Whichever you choose, good luck and I hope you enjoy it because it'll be a MASSIVE upgrade over your current GPU. :)

EDIT: Not to mention if you do wait, and decide that you don't want an 800 series GPU, the prices will drop on 700 series GPUS (as well as AMD). Honestly, win win situation there lol.

I think I'll wait to see what the upcoming generation brings, if Nvidia comes out with press that the 800 series will be delayed, then I'll get the best GPU I can afford at the time, which would hopefully be the the 780.

GTX 760 - Good, but probably lower budget. Don't even opt for the 4GB version, the 760 can't even utilize all that VRAM.

GTX 770 - Probably the only thing reasonably within your budget. The only issue is that it will eventually hit the 2GB cap, especially on those resolutions. Don't get the 4GB, same reason.

GTX 780 - A bit above your budget, actually offers an effective amount of VRAM, and a bit stronger than the 770. The 770 is better price/performance in my opinion, but the VRAM is what would do you best with a triple monitor rig.

R9 290 - Doesn't VisionTek have it at MSRP? It's reference cooler, but it's almost on par with the 780 for $100 less. Worst case, you might as well spend the extra dough on the Kraken G10. That would be decent, maybe.

You could wait for Maxwell. Maybe the 870 will be available at $400 and with an effective amount of VRAM.

Likely I'll be trying for the 780.  My concern with the 290 is that the VisionTek is a reference card, and I've heard very bad things about the 290 reference cooler (Noise is a major issue for me).  If the non-reference cards weren't over $100 over the msrp, I would consider the 290.

My Rig

I think I'll wait to see what the upcoming generation brings, if Nvidia comes out with press that the 800 series will be delayed, then I'll get the best GPU I can afford at the time, which would hopefully be the the 780.

Likely I'll be trying for the 780.  My concern with the 290 is that the VisionTek is a reference card, and I've heard very bad things about the 290 reference cooler (Noise is a major issue for me).  If the non-reference cards weren't over $100 over the msrp, I would consider the 290.

As I said, just wait. You wont need an 800 series card. The 780 is a lot more expensive than the R9 290 all the while with similar performance, and if the noise and heat bothers you than a non-ref design will be your answer. Obviously they are dearer but the price gap from the non-reference and reference 290 will close with the price drop. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

the 2GB / 760 is a great choice friend  ^_^

is not a 384 bits (or a 3GB card) but it will do the job well (the only green card i recommend)  :rolleyes:

As I said, just wait. You wont need an 800 series card. The 780 is a lot more expensive than the R9 290 all the while with similar performance, and if the noise and heat bothers you than a non-ref design will be your answer. Obviously they are dearer but the price gap from the non-reference and reference 290 will close with the price drop. 

Given the choice between 780 and a 290 both at msrp with non-reference coolers, I'd take the 290.  However the non-reference 290s have not been released yet and unless I jump on one before the miners get their grubby hands on them, before they've been fully tested.  I'll likely have to wait at least another 2 months before I can afford either the 290 or 780, so we'll see how that goes.

the 2GB / 760 is a great choice friend  ^_^

is not a 384 bits (or a 3GB card) but it will do the job well (the only green card i recommend)  :rolleyes:

The reason I resist the idea of going with a 760 2GB is that I bought the mid-range card last time, in the 560 I currently have.  Is it falls behind in sheer horsepower or extra features rather quickly.  Like the fact that my 560 does not support more than 2 displays at a time, which I didn't know until I had a third screen.

My Rig

Given the choice between 780 and a 290 both at msrp with non-reference coolers, I'd take the 290.  However the non-reference 290s have not been released yet and unless I jump on one before the miners get their grubby hands on them, before they've been fully tested.  I'll likely have to wait at least another 2 months before I can afford either the 290 or 780, so we'll see how that goes.

The reason I resist the idea of going with a 760 2GB is that I bought the mid-range card last time, in the 560 I currently have.  Is it falls behind in sheer horsepower or extra features rather quickly.  Like the fact that my 560 does not support more than 2 displays at a time, which I didn't know until I had a third screen.

i see your point now, yes friend, you are right, is the R9 280x time now :wub:

if it help, i will give you a small table to compare the green cards  ^_^ (brb in 5m)

192sp - GeForce GTX 550 Ti (1GB)

336sp - GeForce GTX 560 (1GB)

384sp - GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1GB)

352sp - GeForce GTX 560 Ti oem (1.2GB)

448sp - GeForce GTX 560 Ti le (1.2GB)

(256 bits)

1152sp - GeForce GTX 760 (GK104, 2GB)

1344sp - GeForce GTX 670 (GK104, 2GB)

1536sp - GeForce GTX 680 (GK104, 2GB)

1536sp - GeForce GTX 770 (GK104, 2GB)

(384 bits)

2304sp - GeForce GTX 780 (GK110, 3GB)

2688sp - GeForce GTX TITAN (GK110, 6GB)

2880sp - GeForce GTX 780 Ti (GK110, 3GB)

(for more info check mi 1s link down here)

Nvidia is better for skyrim. When I went from geforce to radeon I noticed heavy stutterings and the game became less enjoyable.

Nvidia is better for skyrim. When I went from geforce to radeon I noticed heavy stutterings and the game became less enjoyable.

Not necessarily. I'm using an ENB and Skyrim has weird display issues with the sun on my 770. And it's not limited to the 770, either. Logan, who also uses the ENB, has said he switched out his 780 for a 7970 because of that issue.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

192sp - GeForce GTX 550 Ti (1GB)
336sp - GeForce GTX 560 (1GB)
384sp - GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1GB)
352sp - GeForce GTX 560 Ti oem (1.2GB)
448sp - GeForce GTX 560 Ti le (1.2GB)

(256 bits)
1152sp - GeForce GTX 760 (GK104, 2GB)
1344sp - GeForce GTX 670 (GK104, 2GB)
1536sp - GeForce GTX 680 (GK104, 2GB)
1536sp - GeForce GTX 770 (GK104, 2GB)

(384 bits)
2304sp - GeForce GTX 780 (GK110, 3GB)
2688sp - GeForce GTX TITAN (GK110, 6GB)
2880sp - GeForce GTX 780 Ti (GK110, 3GB)

(for more info check mi 1s link down here)

So likely at the beginning of march, I'll take yet another look into this, when I can afford a ~$400-500 card, I'll get a 780 if the 280x and 290 are still hiked up/reference cooled.  As of right now, I think between a 780 and a 290, if the price were the same, I'd go with the 780 for the better efficiency and non-reference coolers, but if the AMDs are down closer to msrp with non-reference coolers, then the 290 or 280X will be my choice.

My Rig

@RzarEater In a few months the non-ref 290 cards should be down in price, along with the GTX 700 range because of the 800 series being out.

Fixed. Must of deleted the end quote lol.

OMG u guys are just looking at the big sites that just want to profeit from all of this crypto currency if u go to the REAL warehouses you can get insane prices, you have to wait longer for shipping but all of the prices are the same from release. Im basing this off of my experience with http://www.shopblt.com/