Finally think I got it

Ravendarat

Ok so I have been racking my brain trying to decide what to build for a tower. I was dead set on doing a I9 9900 and a overkill motherboard like the GODLIKE but the more I research the more I just don't think I can justify it. I just game (usually newer titles like BF5 and probably Division 2 when it comes out and then some older stuff like LOL and StarCraft 2), and then use it for standard web browsing and youtube and watching videos and stuff like that. Im all for overbuilding my system but at the end of the day I think the AMD set up makes more sense as the processor and the board combined are just slightly more than just the I9 by itself, and if I decide I REALLY need to go faster I can always move to a 3000 series when they launch and use the same board. From what I have heard it seems like the stock air cooler that comes with the 2700x is good and it should hold me over till I start the custom loop I have planned. Is there anything on this list I am missing and need to address? I have all the peripherals I need as well as a copy of windows 10 already to use on a new build, and as the list shows I already have the power supply and the GPU, figured Id ask you experts about the rest.

Any chance you can find a good deal on a 8700k? It would do a good bit better than the 2700x, especially with a heavy hitting 2080ti........... Or even a 9700k.

Both would be better for gaming, and can overclock to 5 GHz without issue. I was able to get a 8700k with a decent Z390 mobo 2 weeks ago for 450 total at microcenter.... Slapped my old hyper 212 on it and am 5 GHz stable at high 60's low 70's. If you can find a deal like that, or even just a 9700k, I think that would work better.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, mortino said:

Both good points. Less RAM sticks can lead to higher CPU overclocks as the memory controller has to work less hard, also less voltage going less places. <- super scientific term right there lol

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

7 minutes ago, mortino said:

Also the 2x16gb trident Z's are 50 bucks cheaper and generally 2 sticks are better than 4 for stability.

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Both good points. Less RAM sticks can lead to higher CPU overclocks as the memory controller has to work less hard, also less voltage going less places. <- super scientific term right there lol

I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense. Thanks

I am just going to ask questions here. 

Do you know what benefits you get from that 300 $ motherboard compared to a 180 $ mobo? 

Do you know why you need 2x m.2 ssds? 

Do you know why you take a 2700x over a 2700?

Do you know why you need a 2080ti and 2080 won't fulfill your needs? (but I suppose you already bought that one?) 

Also the 4 ram stick issue, but it has been addressed. 

If you have good answers for those questions, I would say, go for it. But if not I would happily answer those for you and help you save a couple of bucks