GTX 1080 TI high idle temp and gpu clock speed

Mike87

Hi all,

I was wondering why my GPU has on idle 60-65C. I know that the fans start at 61C but still its way to high for having nothing open..

So I researched and found this solution, which actually worked!:

#1 Download NVIDIA Inspector and run it.
#2 Right click on the button that says "Show overclocking" and select "Multi Display Power Saver"
#3 Under the Target GPUs section check mark both GPUs.
#4 Check mark run multi display power saver at startup.
#5 Check mark activate full 3d by gpu usage and adjust the threshold to 30%.
#6 Close NVIDIA Inspector. 
#7 Reboot PC.

my temp went down to 30C and my GPU clock speed went from about 1300mhz to 600mhz!

My question is, why is the GPU "overclocked" at default and do I get any performance loose while gaming?? I didn't turn any power settings to performance, at least I don't know of it.

The answer to that is:

It will still boost normally with the settings. You won't have to keep toggling it on & off as it will do it automatically for you. 

So can I keep this setting or should I redo it?

Thanks!

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

Not sure about the settings you mentioned, but that is certainly high for an idle temp. Have you considered the air flow of your enclosure to be partly at fault? The GPU should idle at whatever the base clock it was shipping with (add-in board partners will have GPU's that will run faster/hotter as they have a "factory-overclock" already set). I would look into improving the airflow in your case via better fans, fan orientation, opening up case panels/dust filters that restrict air flow...etc. Also you can set a much more aggressive fan curve on the GPU itself so that it stays cooler all the time, but that will sacrifice noise at idle as those fans will be ramping up constantly.

Hope this helps!

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

Just now, FUR1AN said:

Not sure about the settings you mentioned, but that is certainly high for an idle temp. Have you considered the air flow of your enclosure to be partly at fault? The GPU should idle at whatever the base clock it was shipping with (add-in board partners will have GPU's that will run faster/hotter as they have a "factory-overclock" already set). I would look into improving the airflow in your case via better fans, fan orientation, opening up case panels/dust filters that restrict air flow...etc. Also you can set a much more aggressive fan curve on the GPU itself so that it stays cooler all the time, but that will sacrifice noise at idle as those fans will be ramping up constantly.

Hope this helps!

I already optimized my fan flow and all that. my cpu is on idle at 35C so it can't be the air flow. 

I also set the gpu fan to 30% but with that I still don't manage to get below 55C

as soon as I activated the power save mode, my temp instantly dropped to about 30C 

maybe there is still a hidden power management setting I didn't find ?

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

2 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

I already optimized my fan flow and all that. my cpu is on idle at 35C so it can't be the air flow. 

I also set the gpu fan to 30% but with that I still don't manage to get below 55C

as soon as I activated the power save mode, my temp instantly dropped to about 30C 

30% fan speed is quite low under load, did you ever take the card apart?

2 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

There may be power settings in the BIOS related to the GPU at idle or startup, I am not sure. But that is interesting. Maybe try looking into what has access upon startup, i.e. are there a bunch of programs all trying to access your GPU as soon as the PC turns on, and it gets overwhelmed. Also, I had issues with temps/fans on my GPU when I first built my PC. I'd have random temp spikes and the fans would try to play catch up based on my fan curve. Turned out to be a driver issue in the end as I haven't had that problem in a long time and have done nothing but update to the latest graphics drivers.

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

1 minute ago, JanMan said:

30% fan speed is quite low under load, did you ever take the card apart?

I was talking about idle temp, just looking at my desktop, nothing open ?. Of course while on load it reaches up to about 75C

My Setup: 

1 minute ago, FUR1AN said:

There may be power settings in the BIOS related to the GPU at idle or startup, I am not sure. But that is interesting. Maybe try looking into what has access upon startup, i.e. are there a bunch of programs all trying to access your GPU as soon as the PC turns on, and it gets overwhelmed. Also, I had issues with temps/fans on my GPU when I first built my PC. I'd have random temp spikes and the fans would try to play catch up based on my fan curve. Turned out to be a driver issue in the end as I haven't had that problem in a long time and have done nothing but update to the latest graphics drivers.

My system is cleaned up regarding the auto starts. Only the AV and msi afterburner are activated. 

No its not like the cpu at the startup, nothing is accessing my gpu on startup. Looking at the msi afterburner, my gpu usage is from 0-4%... basically nothing.

It's just strange that my GPU clock speed is at ~1600 all the time, doing nothing. Seems to be a bug with using multi monitors (I have 2)

My Setup: