Vega VII Naming

Billy Pilgrim

A lot of people have been talking about the Radeon VII and its name's meaning. 7nm or Vega II are the most popular explanations. Does anyone else think that it is sort refering to the rx 7xx sieries, like vega 56 and 64 were rx 6xx, or is it just me?

I believe it's actually called Radeon VII, I don't believe Lisa Su actually called it Vega during the keynote. It's pretty obvious that it is Vega, given the compute unit structure and the architecture is called "Vega 20" (I think, unless that's exclusively the name of the data center GPU) but Radeon VII might be a way to get away from the Vega name since it was such a bad launch. Graphics cards too hot and expensive, probably want to avoid some stigma.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Vega is different than Radeon.

The last two GPU lines from AMD, RX 4xx and 5xx, use the Polaris architecture.

Vega uses Vega architecture.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

It's probably a combination of it being 7nm and being the second iteration of the Vega architecture (i.e., Vega II)

And it's coming out on February 7th

Wow even another coincidence/plan

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Vega is different than Radeon.

The last two GPU lines from AMD, RX 4xx and 5xx, use the Polaris architecture.

Vega uses Vega architecture.

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I believe it's actually called Radeon VII, I don't believe Lisa Su actually called it Vega during the keynote. It's pretty obvious that it is Vega, given the compute unit structure and the architecture is called "Vega 20" (I think, unless that's exclusively the name of the data center GPU) but Radeon VII might be a way to get away from the Vega name since it was such a bad launch. Graphics cards too hot and expensive, probably want to avoid some stigma.

I updated the post

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I updated the post

What I mean by my post is that the Vega 56/64 is not RX 6xx series. If RX 6xx launched, we'd have the RX 680, 670, 660, 650, etc.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

What I mean by my post is that the Vega 56/64 is not RX 6xx series. If RX 6xx launched, we'd have the RX 680, 670, 660, 650, etc.

Thats true, however it may be there in place of it.

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

Thats true, however it may be there in place of it.

No, it's not. Vega was designed to compete with Nvidia's higher end.

It's more likely we'll get the next generation of Vega to compete with the higher end cards(2070, 2080, etc) and the RX 6xx series will follow later this year to compete against the midrange cards such as the 2060.

No, it's not. Vega was designed to compete with Nvidia's higher end.

So kind of how Volta never had a consumer level card?

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

So kind of how Volta never had a consumer level card?

Kind of like that.

Volta was designed for workstation tasks, that's why the Titan V has NVLink instead of SLI, and other various things.

Vega was designed for gaming, but at a higher level than the previous Radeon cards were. Keep in mind, the RX 580 is about equal in performance to the GTX 1060. Prior to Vega, AMD had nothing to compete with Nvidia's higher end cards.

That's why Vega exists in the first place. It exists separately from the RX 5xx series, and is not intended to "replace" any newer series, otherwise there would be more Vega cards on the market to replace the 580 and its Polaris-based brethren.

that's why the Titan V has NVLink instead of SLI

Correction, higher end 20-series cards also support NVLink. SLI as the nomenclature is gone, moving forward.

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Correction, higher end 20-series cards also support NVLink. SLI as the nomenclature is gone, moving forward.

I was going by timeline, Turing wasn't out when the Titan V released. But you are correct, the higher end 20xx cards do support NVLink.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I was going by timeline, Turing wasn't out when the Titan V released. But you are correct, the higher end 20xx cards do support NVLink.

That would make sense why you worded it like that.

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

really? did i miss something?

The architecture supports it, but the actual card doesn't. This has been more or less confirmed on https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/7wyrbg/titan_v_nvlink_nonfunctional/

EDIT: Also to add: https://www.techpowerup.com/239519/nvidia-titan-v-lacks-sli-or-nvlink-support

The fingers on the Titan V were because the card was originally based off the Tesla V100, which does support NVLink.