Researching upgrade for my PC

RiskyBomberPT

Hello,

The problem here is simple: I'm looking to upgrade my PC, I think I'm gonna get the most by upgrading the graphics card at this moment, because I believe my CPU should still be decent for the time being, however I'm open for discussion and suggestions on this!

My biggest concern right now is (if I do upgrade the GPU) the power draw. My PSU is only 520w and I'm afraid that any significant upgrade at this moment would increase my GPU's power draw by a significant amount.

On top of that, I'm not sure if I have any available connectors in case of an upgrade to a GPU with more pins than my current GPU, however if you're more informed about the available connections on my PSU let me know (I have no clue how the PSU cables work really).

Other issue is the clearance in my case, for a comparison, the Hyper 212x cooler is about 1mm from touching the side panel! A very tight fit. However I don't think GPUs are too tall but should take that in mind too

My budget right now would be about 350 euros, not very tight so I can go up or down a bit, I'm looking around the RTX2060 which has models at around 380euros on preorder right now. The 1070ti are out of stock in the shops I'm looking at, and they come at about 480 euros, making it a bit too expensive. The biggest concern is if I have to upgrade the PSU then my budget wouldn't allow me to upgrade, that's why I'm looking for opinions.

The Current PC:

CPU: Intel i5 7600k

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x

GPU: ASUS GTX1060 DUAL OC 3GB

MOBO: MSI Z270-A PRO SKT1151

RAM: GSkill PC4-19200 2400MHz 16GB (2x8gb) AEGIS CL15 DDR4

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO ULTRASLIM 250GB SSD

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD 7200RPM

PSU: Seasonic S12ii GB 520W 80plus Bronze

Case: Cooler Master CM590 iii Window

edit: I'm running dual 1080p monitor setup, for reference... Both via HDMI (one of the monitors does have DVI though, the other doesnt) 

2 minutes ago, RiskyBomberPT said:

My budget right now would be about 350 euros, not very tight so I can go up or down a bit, I'm looking around the RTX2060 which has models at around 380euros on preorder right now. The 1070ti are out of stock in the shops I'm looking at, and they come at about 480 euros, making it a bit too expensive. The biggest concern is if I have to upgrade the PSU then my budget wouldn't allow me to upgrade, that's why I'm looking for opinions.

The Current PC:

if you would change it to a 2060, 1070 ti or something equivelent or even higher than that would still work pretty well on 520 watts, but I would still change it. that seasonic uses a design that's over 10 years old, and lacks some important functions that you can find on about any good psu these days. I would consider changing it to at least a tier c from the list down my signature. for the gpu I would look around on the second hand market at high end pascal cards too, who knows what you can find

7 minutes ago, RiskyBomberPT said:

Hello,

The problem here is simple: I'm looking to upgrade my PC, I think I'm gonna get the most by upgrading the graphics card at this moment, because I believe my CPU should still be decent for the time being, however I'm open for discussion and suggestions on this!

My biggest concern right now is (if I do upgrade the GPU) the power draw. My PSU is only 520w and I'm afraid that any significant upgrade at this moment would increase my GPU's power draw by a significant amount.

On top of that, I'm not sure if I have any available connectors in case of an upgrade to a GPU with more pins than my current GPU, however if you're more informed about the available connections on my PSU let me know (I have no clue how the PSU cables work really).

Other issue is the clearance in my case, for a comparison, the Hyper 212x cooler is about 1mm from touching the side panel! A very tight fit. However I don't think GPUs are too tall but should take that in mind too

The Current PC:

edit: I'm running dual 1080p monitor setup, for reference... Both via HDMI (one of the monitors does have DVI though, the other doesnt) 

Buy a used 1070 or 1070ti or wait for nvidia to release the gtx1160(or whatever its gonna be called)  your psu will do the job and since its a seasonic it can run at higher loads without breaking. There arent many games that support rtx and the performance is basically like a 1070. 

2 minutes ago, RiskyBomberPT said:

Hello,

The Current PC:

The RTX2060 has a Recommended System Power of 500W, so you should be fine. Also the models I have seen have the same connecter have an 8 pins power connector, I assume your GPU has that as well (since my 1060 6GB has an 8 pin). Although I would advice you to get a new PSU, in theory you should be fine to just plug in a 2060. The same goes for the 1070Ti, but with those prices a 1070Ti makes absolutely no sense at all.

So basically if you are in a hurry you can go and buy a new GPU and just plug it in, but it would be wise to at least start saving up for a new PSU and change it soon. Oh and I would definitely wait overclocking your CPU and GPU until you have a new PSU. 

You can find details on the recommended system power on Nvidia's website in the specifications tab of the products.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

1 minute ago, cashan said:

Buy a used 1070 or 1070ti or wait for nvidia to release the gtx1160(or whatever its gonna be called)  your psu will do the job and since its a seasonic it can run at higher loads without breaking. There arent many games that support rtx and the performance is basically like a 1070. 

a 10 year old outdated seasonic... NEVER judge on brand or effecienty

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

a 10 year old outdated seasonic... NEVER judge on brand or effecienty

dude chill, i will in the future. 

1 minute ago, cashan said:

dude chill, i will in the future. 

I'm chill... I'm kinda like Jon Gerow, harsh but really clear

So if I do save up the extra for the new PSU and I get a TierC PSU should I still aim for the 500~550 W range, or should I get a bit more like 650W?

The PSUs on Tier C are already pretty expensive (compared to what my current one costed me about 2 years ago), so if I should buy one I want to do the right purchase

EDIT: Also, aren't the RT cores useful for more than just Raytracing? I heard about something like better streaming on the RTX cards and so on with newer NVidia drivers, not sure if it has anything to do with that

1 minute ago, RiskyBomberPT said:

So if I do save up the extra for the new PSU and I get a TierC PSU should I still aim for the 500~550 W range, or should I get a bit more like 650W?

The PSUs on Tier C are already pretty expensive (compared to what my current one costed me about 2 years ago), so if I should buy one I want to do the right purchase

500-550 is enough. I personally run my own system on a cx550m and nothing ever happened exept for some whining

That's the price of a good quality psu, you could look in germany or something too tho, you only pay shipping and there are some really good cheap psus in Europe