RX 590 Core clock drop after reaching 84 degrees Celsius

MaxTGG

Hello, i was looking at my RX 590 in MSI after burner to check out over clocking when i realized that after reaching 84 degrees Celsius the core clock when from 1500 to 1200 And i do not understand why. I have 16 GB of 3200 DDR4 ram, an I5 8600K and an xfx RX 590 and my mother board is a Z390 A-PRO. If you could help i would appreciate that.

Increase fan speed, replace thermal paste, even undervolting, do anything to cool it down then.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Is airflow choked?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Above 84C is too hot, so it's throttling down freq to lower temps. What case is your system in? Case fans? Pic of layout?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

3 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

84C is too hot, so it's throttling down freq to lower temps. What case is your system in? Case fans? Pic of layout?

it is the aerocool cylon rgb gaming case. default case fan

27 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Is airflow choked?

it might be, as far as i can tell there are only 2 (main) vents which are right next (one is on the ceiling right above the other) to each other and one is blowing out air (the one that is not on the ceiling). And i think only one of them are meant to have a fan on it (the one that has one on aready)

15 minutes ago, MaxTGG said:

it is the aerocool cylon rgb gaming case. default case fan

If the default one is still placed at rear, that could be the reason. That case supports 3 front fans, though the front panel is fairly closed off and also doesn't include any fans besides the rear one. If you have an extra 120mm fan, try adding one at the front bottom/middle position. If not, try moving the rear fan.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

29 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

If the default one is still placed at rear, that could be the reason. That case supports 3 front fans, though the front panel is fairly closed off and also doesn't include any fans besides the rear one. If you have an extra 120mm fan, try adding one at the front bottom/middle position. If not, try moving the rear fan.

I have the front panel on it and i have a double fan radiator already in that spot, so i only have one spot to fit a fan, would the fans till be useful with the front panel on, and since my other fan is exhaust this one should be intake right? There are also no screw holes on the vent on the top of the case. The case i have is an ibuypower edition one and appears that the fan on the top of the case does not have screw holes to add a fan

26 minutes ago, MaxTGG said:

I have the front panel on it and i have a double fan radiator already in that spot, so i only have one spot to fit a fan, would the fans till be useful with the front panel on, and since my other fan is exhaust this one should be intake right?

Ahh ok so you do have front airflow but most is being used for an AIO for the CPU. If the radiator is using same size fans as the rear default (120mm) you could possibly arrange for the radiator fans to be mounted at the two higher spots with the radiator being closer to the CPU (called push configuration) and then the extra default fan on the bottom slot. Theoretically this should work, but also I don't have first hand experience with that case.

Another option is to adjust the fan curve for the GPU fans. You can do this with MSI Afterburner software.

2 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Ahh ok so you do have front airflow but most is being used for an AIO for the CPU. If the radiator is using same size fans as the rear default (120mm) you could possibly arrange for the radiator fans to be mounted at the two higher spots with the radiator being closer to the CPU (called push configuration) and then the extra default fan on the bottom slot. Theoretically this should work, but also I don't have first hand experience with that case.

Another option is to adjust the fan curve for the GPU fans. You can do this with MSI Afterburner software.

There are also no screw holes on the vent on the top of the case. The case i have is an ibuypower edition one and appears that the fan on the top of the case does not have screw holes to add a fan. And the Radiator is already on the top of the 3 in the front, would i have to remove the front panel for it to be able to intake better

Front could be starved a little.

Main issue is the heat from those radiators is feeding warm air to the GPU.

Increasing temps.

Can remove front or side panel and likely see decent improvements. Can force radiator up Top if you can ghetto mount it. Or change cases..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 minutes ago, MaxTGG said:

There are also no screw holes on the vent on the top of the case. The case i have is an ibuypower edition one and appears that the fan on the top of the case does not have screw holes to add a fan. And the Radiator is already on the top of the 3 in the front, would i have to remove the front panel for it to be able to intake better

I didn't mean mounting on the top of the case, meant on the higher spots of the front. Should be possible to fit 3 total fans with radiator mounted to 2. If that's too much hassle though, the custom GPU fan curve with Afterburner should also help, though will add some noise depending how high the fans are sped up to keep temperatures down. That does also require some manual tweaking, but it's just sliding a couple points on a graph.

2 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

I didn't mean mounting on the top of the case, meant on the higher spots of the front. Should be possible to fit 3 total fans with radiator mounted to 2. If that's too much hassle though, the custom GPU fan curve with Afterburner should also help, though will add some noise depending how high the fans are sped up to keep temperatures down. That does also require some manual tweaking, but it's just sliding a couple points on a graph.

I have already messed with MSI after burner and i put the fans as power and as i am aloud to go and it didnt help much help much.

What if i put 2 fans directly under the GPU blowing at it (they would be right above the power supply) but they would be blowing towards the gpu's fans.

30 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Front could be starved a little.

Main issue is the heat from those radiators is feeding warm air to the GPU.

Increasing temps.

Can remove front or side panel and likely see decent improvements. Can force radiator up Top if you can ghetto mount it. Or change cases..

What if i put 2 fans directly under the GPU blowing at it (they would be right above the power supply) but they would be blowing towards the gpu's fans.

36 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

With my fans on 100 all the time it still doesnt stop it from reaching 84. i even lowered the volts.

2 hours ago, MaxTGG said:

If that case has holes in the bottom it'll do something, but without it, there is no cooler air being blown around doing so.

Are you able to take the side panel off, take a picture ? from the side perspective looking onto it filling the frame of the shot.. And uploading it into a post.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Are you able to take the side panel off, take a picture ? from the side perspective looking onto it filling the frame of the shot.. And uploading it into a post.

The case seems to have like 2" of perforation close to the front right below the hard drive cage, which is under a PSU shroud. Not much cool air getting in through the shroud other than what the front fan is able to push under the shroud.

https://www.aerocool.com.tw/en/chssis/pgs-v/cylon

3 hours ago, MaxTGG said:

With my fans on 100 all the time it still doesnt stop it from reaching 84. i even lowered the volts.

Sounds like the case is just too air starved then, unless there's something severely wrong with the card itself. If removing the side panel or front panel and doing a test run gives you significantly better temps, you know it's just the case.

8 hours ago, MaxTGG said:

it might be, as far as i can tell there are only 2 (main) vents which are right next (one is on the ceiling right above the other) to each other and one is blowing out air (the one that is not on the ceiling). And i think only one of them are meant to have a fan on it (the one that has one on aready)

I don't suppose you have the XFX RX 590 Fatboy card?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't suppose you have the XFX RX 590 Fatboy card?

That is what I have

10 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

The case seems to have like 2" of perforation close to the front right below the hard drive cage, which is under a PSU shroud. Not much cool air getting in through the shroud other than what the front fan is able to push under the shroud.

https://www.aerocool.com.tw/en/chssis/pgs-v/cylon

Sounds like the case is just too air starved then, unless there's something severely wrong with the card itself. If removing the side panel or front panel and doing a test run gives you significantly better temps, you know it's just the case.

12 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If that case has holes in the bottom it'll do something, but without it, there is no cooler air being blown around doing so.

I’ll try to take he side panel off later and see what results I get

1 hour ago, MaxTGG said:

That is what I have

The XFX RX 590 Fatboy is well known for being a lower quality cooler design and naturally runs very hot.

For it to be really cool you'd need to run the fans on it at a very high speed.

It's probably just overheating and thus thermal throttling with the default fan profile.

Using something like MSI Afterburner or Radeon Software, you can make the fans run a lot faster. Alternatively you could try to undervolt your 590.

At any rate, so long as you're happy with 60fps, I would enable Radeon chill (link to my guide on how to enable it in my signature below) as running Chill should reduce how hot your 590 gets if all else fails.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

The XFX 590 Fatboy is a ridiculously hot card, combined with the lack of cool air getting through the csse and I can see why it's thermal throttling.

11 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

While initially I had said this wouldn't do much,.. in the OP situation.. I'd just do this, hope it shaves enough off the top of temps to be comfortable..
Consider changing cases if it still bothers you.

5-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 5:55 PM, SkilledRebuilds said:

While initially I had said this wouldn't do much,.. in the OP situation.. I'd just do this, hope it shaves enough off the top of temps to be comfortable..
Consider changing cases if it still bothers you.

5-1.jpg

Issue is on the left in that box is the PSU so those fans wont fit