Why the hate?

Debeant

First off, I'm putting this in this section because I don't know where else to put it. If I'm wrong, please move it.

Now, onto what I want to sort of rant about: one thing I don't understand is the hate for RGB. I mean, I get that it's something that not everyone enjoys, but there are people who are violently opposed to RGB like they're Inigo Montoya and RGB has six fingers.

Glass sides are a fairly common and acceptable feature on cases these days, and that used to be a bit contentious. Part of what makes this hobby fun is the sheer variety of what you can do with cases. (backstory: I shared a pic of my rig on a social media site and a few people were calling it a POS because of the lights)

But eh, whatever. Rant over, I guess.

because some colors end up awful and unicorn puke everywhere is tasteless, tacky and looks crap.

RGB adds costs and manufacturers increase the price of their products to add it, those that dont want unicorn puke backlightning but like the rest of the keyboard still need to pay the RGB tax

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I don't get the hate either. Sure, some people really overdo it and it ends up looking crappy. But I don't mind some subtle lighting for the rig that I paid some serious money for.

And @Bananasplit_00 I don't really think that the "RGB tax" is as noticeable as you make it out to be. The components themselves are so expencive, a few bucks more for lights that you may or may not use don't really end up making a difference. Besides, there usually are a lot of RGB-free alternatives, so just get them instead.

It all ends up comming down to personal preference I think, but why some people can get so worked up about it I don't understand either. But that's the internet for you I guess

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

7 minutes ago, Debeant said:

First off, I'm putting this in this section because I don't know where else to put it. If I'm wrong, please move it.

Now, onto what I want to sort of rant about: one thing I don't understand is the hate for RGB. I mean, I get that it's something that not everyone enjoys, but there are people who are violently opposed to RGB like they're Inigo Montoya and RGB has six fingers.

Glass sides are a fairly common and acceptable feature on cases these days, and that used to be a bit contentious. Part of what makes this hobby fun is the sheer variety of what you can do with cases. (backstory: I shared a pic of my rig on a social media site and a few people were calling it a POS because of the lights)

But eh, whatever. Rant over, I guess.

Most of the time it's just too much, rgb fans, rgb aio, then some underglow with rgb peripherals.

That looks just bad I'd rather see all white lights than disco lights.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

People like it and that's cool, my main objection doesn't come from today, but growing up. flashy rgb on kids shoes and that stupid flashing yoyo phase people had. Looks immature and childish in a lot of ways. Doesn't mean it can't be done tastefully, just not for me. 

Also most rgb arguments I heard before when cold cathodes were popular...didnt stop anyone back then either. 

Oh and I'm a hipotric anyway because I have an rgb keyboard that changes key backlight colour depending on the set of macros and settings active

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 minute ago, EG! said:

Most of the time it's just too much, rgb fans, rgb aio, then some underglow with rgb peripherals.

Yeah, but what about the people that want neither disco lights nor just plain white lights? I have all my stuff set to a green-ish color at the moment, but I change it frequently...

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

1 minute ago, EG! said:

You can set RGB to be white, you know. 

Just now, it_dont_work said:

People like it and that's cool, my main objection doesn't come from today, but growing up. flashy rgb on kids shoes and that stupid flashing yoyo phase people had. Looks immature and childish in a lot of ways. Doesn't mean it can't be done tastefully, just not for me. 

Also most rgb arguments I heard before when cold cathodes were popular...didnt stop anyone back then either. 

Oh and I'm a hipotric anyway because I have an rgb keyboard that changes key backlight colour depending on the set of macros and settings active

Yeah, they can be tacky. I don't really like the effects, but It's cool to change the colors to match up with holidays. Red/Green for xmas, Orange for Haloween, Red, White, and Blue for patriotic holidays, right now It's kind of a light blue because of the season, being ice/snow season and whatnot.

I personally am not a fan of RGB. I think it makes a build look noisy and people pay a massive premium for the same kit with different coloured lighting. 

I think RGB can be a good thing and useful but IF i was to get it, i would want full control so i could set it to change to a different colour when a certain load or temp is reached. 

A lot of people don't like my rig because i have gone with Red / Black colours which has become cliche. In all honesty i don't really care what other people do or how their build looks because at the end of the day it's not sat on my desk so i dont have to look at it. ?

I have attached some images of my daily driver rig that i use for my photo editing. Like i say. this is what i like and i don't really care if others don't like it. I know the ammount of time, research and effort i have put in that people won't realise ( for example: repinning the power button as it uses proprietary connections).85018855f4e61a67a8175ac05a34b6d9.0.thumb.jpg.11e477c34d4d75df1c24529599e73fd2.jpg2f4b38ce7296f6a79066020e30dbebb3.0.thumb.jpg.66faa32209e40b4271506071063ac07a.jpg

4 minutes ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

I personally am not a fan of RGB. I think it makes a build look noisy and people pay a massive premium for the same kit with different coloured lighting. 

I think RGB can be a good thing and useful but IF i was to get it, i would want full control so i could set it to change to a different colour when a certain load or temp is reached. 

A lot of people don't like my rig because i have gone with Red / Black colours which has become cliche. In all honesty i don't really care what other people do or how their build looks because at the end of the day it's not sat on my desk so i dont have to look at it. ?

I have attached some images of my daily driver rig that i use for my photo editing. Like i say. this is what i like and i don't really care if others don't like it. I know the ammount of time, research and effort i have put in that people won't realise ( for example: repinning the power button as it uses proprietary connections).

I don't know about your motherboard, but the one I have can change the colors of the LEDs based on CPU loading and temps. It is an option.

Edit: not saying it's a requirement, though. You do you--that's what makes this a fun hobby.

Edited by Debeant

1 minute ago, Debeant said:

I don't know about your motherboard, but the one I have can change the colors of the LEDs based on CPU loading and temps. It is an option.

yeah mine is just red LED, don't even think i can turn it off, No LED fans or anything else. Just the light from the motherboard but i wouldn't buy a more expensive one for the control feature.

9 minutes ago, Debeant said:

You can set RGB to be white, you know. 

Why would you buy rgb leds to set them white and just buy white leds? :) 

10 minutes ago, Debeant said:

Yeah, they can be tacky. I don't really like the effects, but It's cool to change the colors to match up with holidays. Red/Green for xmas, Orange for Haloween, Red, White, and Blue for patriotic holidays, right now It's kind of a light blue because of the season, being ice/snow season and whatnot.

My mouse breathes colors too and I have 3 Hue lights and an Ikea rgb light so I got nothing against rgb.

I do want philips Hue ledstrips and if the price lowers a bit I might buy a strip or two.

Don't use Hue with Razer tho, Hue Sync is way more fun then your light breathing like your headset, Hue sync takes colors from your screen and changes the lights to those colors.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

1 minute ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

yeah mine is just red LED, don't even think i can turn it off, No LED fans or anything else. Just the light from the motherboard but i wouldn't buy a more expensive one for the control feature.

There are LED controllers out there that offer the same capabilities, though I'd be the first to advise against using it for your case. It's not really built with an eye towards RGB, like some of the showcase cases are out there. The only reason I swung for RGB this time was because I got tired of using this old chinese steel case I had. It was decent, and temps were under control even with a Phenom II 1045T and Radeon 4850 (later upgraded to a 460 GTX), but I felt I needed a new case when I built a new computer. 

I agree, the plan with mine was to be non-eye-catching so it looks stock outside and inside it again is stock looking but if looked at closely things start popping out. It's very much a workhorse not a show horse ? (i mean that with no offence to those that like to show!)

Like i say it's each to their own but i like my setup the way i have (although i would like to change my CPU cooler)

My only problem with RGB, is the inability to do any good lighting effects across eco-systems.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Every build with RGB I have seen looks the same. A true masterpiece build uses something not mainstream, like wood, or a unlikely item, such as a plane wing. If you like it, remember that lighting isn't everything, especially with boxy cases and aggressive looking componets.

Rgb is akin to a honda civic with a fart can and huge spoiler. It has no tact, no elegance, and takes no skill to install. It also tends to appeal to a younger audience. It just makes your build look "cheap".

I had light up shoes as a kid. That was enough. 

Rbg tends to appeal to the fidget spinnging generation. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz