Modding ?

Go to solution Solved by Scheer,

SFX Power supply maybe?

SFX on the left, typical ATX on the right.

16155848146s.jpg

I am building a custom pc case out of a waste bin and the psu does not fit. Can I remove the casing to the psu and have it function fine?

I mean I guess, but then the air flow won't be channeled as well.

why not just mod the case instead? 

Error: 410

As long as it gets enough cooling, yes.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

As long as it doesn't move and gets enough airflow, its fine..

I taped a PSU to the top of a case once because it didn't fit: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/92350-mega-ghetto-build-log/

cnlyp9q.jpg

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

If it exposes the internals, I wouldn't recommend doing so unless you know what you're doing. That's just my opinion. CRTs and PSUs store nasty amounts of electricity even when turned off and unplugged. The last thing you want is shocking yourself or creating a fire hazard.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Yeah can do, Might short stuff out if it comes into contact with metal though.

Plus working around the inside of a psu can give you abit of a zap if the psu isn't drained and you aren't careful, Could end in a minor case of deadness

I really don't want to give you advice on this. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole, but that might just be me...

Why not look at a smaller PSU? Something like the FSP300, perhaps? It's a better option than voiding warranty and risking a fire / component short out.

Pew Pew Helicopters

I really don't want to give you advice on this. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole, but that might just be me...

Why not look at a smaller PSU? Something like the FSP300, perhaps? It's a better option than voiding warranty and risking a fire / component short out.

I could try but I don't have much room I want it to be flush with the I o panel under it but at that length it would have to be higher than the mobo or facing down. Unless I cut off my PCI slots. I'm using a app so that shouldn't matter. The issues is I pretty much cut up a case and stuck it in a container and space is tight

I mean I guess, but then the air flow won't be channeled as well.

why not just mod the case instead?

It's a metal circular container.

I wouldn't know how to star modding that

All I've done is cut out a square and a circle in the bottom

I actually have a PC ghetto-screwed to my wall, The PSU just hangs above it.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

As long as it doesn't move and gets enough airflow, its fine..

I taped a PSU to the top of a case once because it didn't fit: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/92350-mega-ghetto-build-log/

cnlyp9q.jpg

WHAT A SEXY BUILD!!!

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

It's risky. I would only recommend doing that if you have enough experience with electricals.