Extra 4pin EPS running off Molex Adaper

Hello all :)

In my system I have an ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z, still rocking a FX 6300 ;) (although I do plan to upgrade to a 9590 later just for kicks and giggles)

Since I "upgraded" to a R9 280, which needs one 8-pin and one 6-pin PCIe power connections, overclocking my CPU has been a bit of an issue.

So my question is: since my PSU (the old blue corsair HX850) only comes with one 8pin CPU power lead, and I got it used so some of the cables are missing, would I be able to get away with/should it be mostly safe to use a molex cable off the PSU with a 4-pin eps adapter to populate the extra CPU power slot my board has?

Thank you for any reply :)

--Gas_Mask_

Safe? kinda. Recommended? no. These cables have different power delivery parameters, there is a 3.3v, 5v, and 12v rail inside the PSU for power delivery so mixing and matching is usually a bad idea, especially when EPS is involved. I think you should seek out appropriate cables to accommodate the PSU instead, since you're only missing the one then maybe even a cablemod cable would do.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Safe? kinda. Recommended? no. These cables have different power delivery parameters, there is a 3.3v, 5v, and 12v rail inside the PSU for power delivery so mixing and matching is usually a bad idea, especially when EPS is involved. I think you should seek out appropriate cables to accommodate the PSU instead, since you're only missing the one then maybe even a cablemod cable would do.

Well, I have already poked around, at least on amazon, and I can't find a CPU power only cable that will work for my PSU without shilling out $60-70.... I would check Ebay, but that's what got me into this situation with the used psu to begin with...

--Gas_Mask_

Just now, Gas_Mask_ said:

Well, I have already poked around, at least on amazon, and I can't find a CPU power only cable that will work for my PSU without shilling out $60-70.... I would check Ebay, but that's what got me into this situation with the used psu to begin with...

That's part of why I never recommend used PSUs. Still, if the system is more of a playground than a main rig, feel free to route cable concoctions any which way you like.

If not, an investment into a $40 PSU that has the appropriate cables would go a long way. The corsair CX550M comes to mind (which is starting to make me feel like a broken record with how many recommendations of it I've given)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Gas_Mask_ said:

im not understanding you correctly, do you already have the 8pin CPU power?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

im not understanding you correctly, do you already have the 8pin CPU power?

Yes, I do. On the HX850 it happens to be one of the attached cables, as the psu is semi-modular. But my mobo has two eps connectors, one 8-pin and an additional secondary 4-pin. I just want to populate both

--Gas_Mask_

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

That's part of why I never recommend used PSUs. Still, if the system is more of a playground than a main rig, feel free to route cable concoctions any which way you like.

If not, an investment into a $40 PSU that has the appropriate cables would go a long way. The corsair CX550M comes to mind (which is starting to make me feel like a broken record with how many recommendations of it I've given)

The unit works fine other than a few cables weren't included by the seller, and one small piece of plastic had broken off one of the extra/modular PCIe power cables and fallen inside the unit. I just took it apart and voided the non-exsistant warranty to fish it out. And don't worry, I've taken a few PSUs apart in my time ;)

The only other thing the unit needs is some dusting as the fan has been rattling for a while now, but that only started after having it for years, and it still does its job

--Gas_Mask_

Yes, I do. On the HX850 it happens to be one of the attached cables, as the psu is semi-modular. But my mobo has two eps connectors, one 8-pin and an additional secondary 4-pin. I just want to populate both

oh okay, then you don't need the second 4pin, that's all just marketing bullshit, the 8pin EPS cable provides PLENTY of power before it can even cause an issue.

If the fan is rattling I'd suspect the bearings are going rather than it simply being dust.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

The unit works fine other than a few cables weren't included by the seller, and one small piece of plastic had broken off one of the extra/modular PCIe power cables and fallen inside the unit. I just took it apart and voided the non-exsistant warranty to fish it out. And don't worry, I've taken a few PSUs apart in my time ;)

The only other thing the unit needs is some dusting as the fan has been rattling for a while now, but that only started after having it for years, and it still does its job

acceptable functionality being fine is one thing, and even though I'm glad it works for you, lack of appropriate connectors is its own animal.

I also think I've misread your original post, how are your cables currently being distributed?

Primary PC:

Honestly you are potentially contradicting yourself here by saying you are having overclocking problems but the PSU works fine.

How old is the PSU?  Maybe its simply unable to output enough power any more due to age.  Being used, you have no idea what kind of abuse it had before, the capacitors could simply by drying out so at the higher end of its current capacity its becoming unstable.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

oh okay, then you don't need the second 4pin, that's all just marketing bullshit, the 8pin EPS cable provides PLENTY of power before it can even cause an issue.

I would rather have it as pulling some more juice from an extra rail would help I think

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If the fan is rattling I'd suspect the bearings are going rather than it simply being dust.

I have to agree with you, which is why I've put off messing with it bc I really don't want to have to hassle with replacing a PSU fan until I take the whole system apart for something ?

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

acceptable functionality being fine is one thing, and even though I'm glad it works for you, lack of appropriate connectors is its own animal.

I also think I've misread your original post, how are your cables currently being distributed?

I have the 20+4-pin, the 8-pin cpu, two 8-pin PCIe running off another rail, not the included connectors, and one SATA cable with all four slots populated

--Gas_Mask_

I have the 20+4-pin, the 8-pin cpu, two 8-pin PCIe running off another rail, not the included connectors, and one SATA cable with all four slots populated

From this breakdown it sounds like you have all the power cables you need, I'm still missing something aren't I.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Honestly you are potentially contradicting yourself here by saying you are having overclocking problems but the PSU works fine.

How old is the PSU?  Maybe its simply unable to output enough power any more due to age.  Being used, you have no idea what kind of abuse it had before, the capacitors could simply by drying out so at the higher end of its current capacity its becoming unstable.

I think it's just not possible for me to get enough power anymore from the 8-pin alone for the OC I used to be running (5ghz on a fx6300 that is) with everything else plugged in and overclocked as well. I just want to try and distribute it along the rails more evenly

--Gas_Mask_

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

From this breakdown it sounds like you have all the power cables you need, I'm still missing something aren't I.

I just want the extra 4-pin eps on my mobo populated is all

--Gas_Mask_

I just want the extra 4-pin eps on my mobo populated is all

Ah so you have 12 CPU power pins? Then yeah, you don't need to put anything in there.

I probably should have googled your mobo first lol

Primary PC:

so the eggheads will say hehe your psu sucks!!! replace it nao!!!

But you mentioned you've took apart some power supplies so here's what I'd do, get those molex adapters BUT do this instead since the molex or peripheral rail is usually weaker and the cables are thinner

1- grab an unused pci-e power cable and cut the male connector that goes to the graphics card

2- cut the molex terminals from the adapters so you only end up with the EPS

3- solder the wires together (properly of course) and use that to power the CPU

ain't risky if you know how to solder and have proper tools (literally an iron, tin, shrink, a lighter a zip tie)

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I think it's just not possible for me to get enough power anymore from the 8-pin alone for the OC I used to be running (5ghz on a fx6300 that is) with everything else plugged in and overclocked as well. I just want to try and distribute it along the rails more evenly

then sounds like your CPU is degrading and requires more voltage to achieve the same OC, having another 4 Pin doesn't do anything, especially for an FX6300.

there's extreme overclockers that are still using an 8pin to overclock, and i'm talking Liquid Nitrogen overclocking.

8 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

If you want another EPS connector, adapter off PCIE not molex:

something like this:

https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Adapter-6-pin-PCIe-to-8-pin-CPU-connector-black-10cm_57212.html

I saw one on Amazon earlier but the description led me to believe it was just an adapter for 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin PCIe? I know that even if you can fit or jam an eps into a pcie or vice/versa, you'll probably fry something. Clarify for me?

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Ah so you have 12 CPU power pins? Then yeah, you don't need to put anything in there.

I probably should have googled your mobo first lol

Yeah, one 8-pin main, and a secondary 4-pin

7 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

so the eggheads will say hehe your psu sucks!!! replace it nao!!!

But you mentioned you've took apart some power supplies so here's what I'd do, get those molex adapters BUT do this instead since the molex or peripheral rail is usually weaker and the cables are thinner

1- grab an unused pci-e power cable and cut the male connector that goes to the graphics card

2- cut the molex terminals from the adapters so you only end up with the EPS

3- solder the wires together (properly of course) and use that to power the CPU

ain't risky if you know how to solder and have proper tools (literally an iron, tin, shrink, a lighter a zip tie)

I could do that, if I felt like it, but honestly I'm just looking for something plug and play if I can find it ?

4 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

then sounds like your CPU is degrading and requires more voltage to achieve the same OC, having another 4 Pin doesn't do anything, especially for an FX6300.

there's extreme overclockers that are still using an 8pin to overclock, and i'm talking Liquid Nitrogen overclocking.

Probably tbh. But I'm gonna run it until I fry it ?‍♂️

--Gas_Mask_

2 minutes ago, Gas_Mask_ said:

I saw one on Amazon earlier but the description led me to believe it was just an adapter for 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin PCIe? I know that even if you can fit or jam an eps into a pcie or vice/versa, you'll probably fry something. Clarify for me?

You can, its just not a direct wiring since the pin out and the plastic connector are different. Just make sure its 6 or 8 pin female on one end and 4+4 eps on the other.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163239744092/

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

You can, its just not a direct wiring since the pin out and the plastic connector are different. Just make sure its 6 or 8 pin female on one end and 4+4 eps on the other.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163239744092/

Found the same one on Amazon (I'm a prime member, so I save some $ that way): https://www.amazon.com/inch-6PIN-PCIE-P4-12V-Adapter/dp/B01EEOW3CA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547339395&sr=8-2&keywords=pcie+to+eps

So would this be better than a molex adapter? As in, it would be closer to the correct voltage and power draw of a real eps connector?

--Gas_Mask_

So would this be better than a molex adapter? As in, it would be closer to the correct voltage and power draw of a real eps connector?

Its better than a molex adapter because pcie is actually designed to draw more power.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Its better than a molex adapter because pcie is actually designed to draw more power.

Cool beans, ordered. Cheers ?

--Gas_Mask_

Do not get the 9590. Do not get any AM3+ CPU, especially if it's for gaming. It's completely obselete. A current gen $100-150 CPU will outperform it, draw less power, and have an upgrade path. 

Why do you think that the overclocking is limited by something that CANNOT limit the overclocking? 

:)