Extra 4pin EPS running off Molex Adaper

I wouldn't risk it but your probably more likely to try your psu, not the motherboard in my experience. Your cpu and mobo are still ok, I wouldn't risk it.

The 8pin EPS connector on the motherboard can receive up to around 300 watts.

You have 4 pairs of wires, each pin is capable of taking 9A of current, so 4 pairs x 9A x 12v = 432 watts. However, for safety reasons, the standards recommend not exceeding a value of 7A of current on each pair, so your limit is 4 pairs x 7A x 12v = 336 watts.

Your FX-6300 consumes up to around 120 watts at stock frequencies, so unless you're trying sub zero temperatures overclocking, nitrogen cooling, ridiculous overclocking, you're not going to get even close to 300 watts with the power consumption of your cpu. At most you're probably gonna get close to 200 watts. 

You can look here : https://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/6

They calculated the  system total power consumption at  idle at 72 watts - idle means what the whole computer uses, motherboard, video card, and cpu just sitting in windows doing nothing. Out of those 72 watts, the cpu uses probably 10-15 watts.

When doing a video encoding (because only CPU encodes the video, so the rest of the components don't consume more power than how much they consumed in the "idle" test) the cpu got up to 145 watts, so at the default frequency, your FX-6300 consumes 145 watts - 72 watts = 73 watts.   You still have around 200 watts of reserve in that EPS connector.

If you overclock the CPU significantly, you're not going to get near the 300w limit, it's practically impossible.  Look in the same article on the Overclocking page, where they benched a FX-8350 at 4.8 Ghz - that's an 8 core cpu, yours is only 6.

So the FX-8350 idled at 75w, at stock frequency the system power peaked at 195w (so the cpu consumed 120 watts), and when overclocked to 4.8 ghz the total system power peaked at 295 watts, so the cpu was using  295w - 75w = 220 watts which is still below your EPS connector's 300w-ish limit.

And again, that's an 8 core cpu, so your 6 core cpu won't get near the 200w limit, and also has to be mentioned that those numbers also include the VRM's efficiency (but this doesn't matter and it's a subject for another day)

You don't NEED additional power connectors.

A molex connector has a single 12v and ground pair of wires, and the connector is designed with pins that are rated to safely carry only up to 5A of current, so an adapter cable with two molex connectors at one end and one 4 pin cpu connector on the other end would only be able to carry 10A of 12v, or 120 watts.

That's basically a THIRD of what you already have on the EPS 8 pin connector, so it's POINTLESS to use such a thing.

ps. you would probably need it for a 9590, that would probably get close to 250 watts, which is close enough to the limits of that connector. It would be safer to add an extra cable, just so that you have less current through each pin.

But buying such a stupid processor would be... stupid. Don't waste your money on one... and if you do, keep in mind you would need water cooling or some heavy duty air cooler to keep that cooled. 

2 hours ago, Gas_Mask_ said:

my question is: since my PSU (the old blue corsair HX850) only comes with one 8pin CPU power lead, and I got it used so some of the cables are missing, would I be able to get away with/should it be mostly safe to use a molex cable off the PSU with a 4-pin eps adapter to populate the extra CPU power slot my board has?

Why so risky and complicated when you can get the easy way?!

And that's asking Corsair for a cable...

@Corsair Joseph or @Corsair Nick might be able to help. Or just use the contact form on their website...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Do not get the 9590. Do not get any AM3+ CPU, especially if it's for gaming. It's completely obselete. A current gen $100-150 CPU will outperform it, draw less power, and have an upgrade path. 

Why do you think that the overclocking is limited by something that CANNOT limit the overclocking? 

For "PSU Testing" or dicking around it might make sense...

But for other stuff, not so much...

Problem however are the prices for the 9590...

That thing has a "Collectors Value", so its rediculously expensive...

And that's the Problem.

From the performance point of view, a Ryzen 1700 makes way more sense. As its way cheaper, more efficient and offers more performance, while the 9590 is rarer...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Do not get the 9590. Do not get any AM3+ CPU, especially if it's for gaming. It's completely obselete. A current gen $100-150 CPU will outperform it, draw less power, and have an upgrade path. 

Why do you think that the overclocking is limited by something that CANNOT limit the overclocking? 

A current gen $150 CPU plus a $100 board and $200 memory ?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

12 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

$100 for a 2200G, $60 for a B450 Pro4, and $96 for 2x8GB 3000MHz RAM, for a total of about $250. Prices from PCPP. 

Compare that to the $236 that a 9590 currently costs on PCPP. 

:)

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

When I was younger, a watercooled 290x rig was my dream. And damnit if I'm not stubborn. I really just want to do it because I want to do it. Ya feel?

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

The 8pin EPS connector on the motherboard can receive up to around 300 watts.

You have 4 pairs of wires, each pin is capable of taking 9A of current, so 4 pairs x 9A x 12v = 432 watts. However, for safety reasons, the standards recommend not exceeding a value of 7A of current on each pair, so your limit is 4 pairs x 7A x 12v = 336 watts.

Your FX-6300 consumes up to around 120 watts at stock frequencies, so unless you're trying sub zero temperatures overclocking, nitrogen cooling, ridiculous overclocking, you're not going to get even close to 300 watts with the power consumption of your cpu. At most you're probably gonna get close to 200 watts. 

You can look here : https://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/6

They calculated the  system total power consumption at  idle at 72 watts - idle means what the whole computer uses, motherboard, video card, and cpu just sitting in windows doing nothing. Out of those 72 watts, the cpu uses probably 10-15 watts.

When doing a video encoding (because only CPU encodes the video, so the rest of the components don't consume more power than how much they consumed in the "idle" test) the cpu got up to 145 watts, so at the default frequency, your FX-6300 consumes 145 watts - 72 watts = 73 watts.   You still have around 200 watts of reserve in that EPS connector.

If you overclock the CPU significantly, you're not going to get near the 300w limit, it's practically impossible.  Look in the same article on the Overclocking page, where they benched a FX-8350 at 4.8 Ghz - that's an 8 core cpu, yours is only 6.

So the FX-8350 idled at 75w, at stock frequency the system power peaked at 195w (so the cpu consumed 120 watts), and when overclocked to 4.8 ghz the total system power peaked at 295 watts, so the cpu was using  295w - 75w = 220 watts which is still below your EPS connector's 300w-ish limit.

And again, that's an 8 core cpu, so your 6 core cpu won't get near the 200w limit, and also has to be mentioned that those numbers also include the VRM's efficiency (but this doesn't matter and it's a subject for another day)

You don't NEED additional power connectors.

A molex connector has a single 12v and ground pair of wires, and the connector is designed with pins that are rated to safely carry only up to 5A of current, so an adapter cable with two molex connectors at one end and one 4 pin cpu connector on the other end would only be able to carry 10A of 12v, or 120 watts.

That's basically a THIRD of what you already have on the EPS 8 pin connector, so it's POINTLESS to use such a thing.

ps. you would probably need it for a 9590, that would probably get close to 250 watts, which is close enough to the limits of that connector. It would be safer to add an extra cable, just so that you have less current through each pin.

But buying such a stupid processor would be... stupid. Don't waste your money on one... and if you do, keep in mind you would need water cooling or some heavy duty air cooler to keep that cooled. 

Thank you, thank you, for such a detailed reply. Truly, this is why I love forums. I understand what you said, but I have been pushing 230+ watts running linpack with just a single 8-pin, so I'd like the headroom. Plus I plan on watercooling the VRMs and northbridge of my mobo when I get one

55 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why so risky and complicated when you can get the easy way?!

And that's asking Corsair for a cable...

@Corsair Joseph or @Corsair Nick might be able to help. Or just use the contact form on their website...

That would be great actually! nothing would delight me more that getting ahold of some proper cables, or a PSU that actually matched my red/black system theme ? I just peeled off the blue HX850 sticker from the out-facing side...

52 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

For "PSU Testing" or dicking around it might make sense...

But for other stuff, not so much...

Problem however are the prices for the 9590...

That thing has a "Collectors Value", so its rediculously expensive...

And that's the Problem.

From the performance point of view, a Ryzen 1700 makes way more sense. As its way cheaper, more efficient and offers more performance, while the 9590 is rarer...

I'll probably pick one up lightly used, I do just want one for at least a little while. If not a high-binned 8750. And my next build will definitely be a Ryzen or Threadripper one, don't worry ;)

21 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Exactly! I got 16gb of 1866mhz DDR3 for $60 back when I built this

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

$100 for a 2200G, $60 for a B450 Pro4, and $96 for 2x8GB 3000MHz RAM, for a total of about $250. Prices from PCPP. 

Compare that to the $236 that a 9590 currently costs on PCPP. 

I'm helping a friend build a new system and that almost exactly what I had suggested. But for me, and my rig codenamed "Diezel," I'll stick with what I've got

Thank you all :D

--Gas_Mask_

I have done it, it works, but that seems like a poor upgrade path and you should probably spend that money on a chip that actiually performs. AKA not anything labled Athlon or FX or Pentium or I3. Im not sure a Molex cable would hold up to the kind of load that chip will put on it to be entirely honest

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 1/12/2019 at 7:15 PM, Gas_Mask_ said:

That would be great actually! nothing would delight me more that getting ahold of some proper cables, or a PSU that actually matched my red/black system theme ? I just peeled off the blue HX850 sticker from the out-facing side...

I can cross reference the PSU and see which cables are compatible.  We offered two different models with blue labels, so I want to make sure I suggest the correct one.  If you can, provide the Part Number off the top label.  Should start with a "CP."

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

On 1/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, Corsair Nick said:

I can cross reference the PSU and see which cables are compatible.  We offered two different models with blue labels, so I want to make sure I suggest the correct one.  If you can, provide the Part Number off the top label.  Should start with a "CP."

Hey, thanks for the help! I can't exactly get to the label easily, as it's mounted with the fan up inside my daily driver ? but it's the original HX850 Blue (80+ Gold) model if that helps. I'm planning on taking it completely apart to dust/clean once I decide to put my new cables in, so I could get it then. I also got some new Molex and SATA power cables, I already have them but haven't installed yet. If I link them would you mind telling me if they're compatible? everything I could find online was misleading... ?

Molex: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRM7MRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SATA: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7HEVM7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PCIe to EPS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EEOW3CA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Don't have that last one yet, should arrive Tuesday)

Thanks again :)

--Gas_Mask_

This should be the correct cable for your PSU to use on the EPS connection on the motherboard.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-3-Sleeved-Black-EPS-12V-CPU-Cable/p/CP-8920115

The SATA cable you linked will work also.  Can't confirm about the molex as they are not manufactured by us.

If you plan to go all individually sleeved like the SATA cable you linked, we also offer full kits.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Professional-Individually-sleeved-DC-Cable-Kit%2C-Type-3-(Generation-2)%2C-BLACK/p/CP-8920045

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

2 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

This should be the correct cable for your PSU to use on the EPS connection on the motherboard.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-3-Sleeved-Black-EPS-12V-CPU-Cable/p/CP-8920115

The SATA cable you linked will work also.  Can't confirm about the molex as they are not manufactured by us.

If you plan to go all individually sleeved like the SATA cable you linked, we also offer full kits.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Professional-Individually-sleeved-DC-Cable-Kit%2C-Type-3-(Generation-2)%2C-BLACK/p/CP-8920045

Thank you for your reply!

The manufacturer of the molex cable claimed it would work with my model, so we'll see.

But may I ask if you could confirm that the PCIe to EPS adapter I ordered and linked in my last reply will work/be safe?

I already have it, so just want to make sure I shouldn't return it.

Thanks again :)

--Gas_Mask_

No worries.  Honestly, never used an adapter like that for PCIe to EPS, so I can't really give you any feedback on it.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:20 PM, Corsair Nick said:

No worries.  Honestly, never used an adapter like that for PCIe to EPS, so I can't really give you any feedback on it.

Gotcha. Guess I'll just be careful then and test the pin-outs

--Gas_Mask_

Why not just use the EPS cable that @Corsair Nick linked to? Costs $5.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Why not just use the EPS cable that @Corsair Nick linked to? Costs $5.

'Cause I already bought the adapter ?‍♂️ I may as well try it I guess. I'll probably buy the one he linked if I end up needing the extra PCIe cables I have of actual PCIe cards lol

--Gas_Mask_