Planning on Buying PC Parts in Japan. Will I Need to Pay Customs?

avrona

So I am going to Japan soon and though it would be a good place to potentially buy a few PC parts as I am planning on upgrading my PC. So will I need to pay customs for bringing back electronics, such as a CPU, a motherboard, or RAM, back to the UK from Japan?

You have an allowance of £390 for a single good when bringing it in from a country outside the EU. Anything over that, you have to pay duties on the full cost of the item. 

Customs charge is 2.5% up to £630. Over that, it depends on the item. You may have to pay import VAT, which is the standard rate for the UK (20%)

EDIT: Also, you need to declare items over the £390 allowance. If you don't they can be seized. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You have an allowance of £390 for a single good when bringing it in from a country outside the EU. Anything over that, you have to pay duties on the full cost of the item. 

Customs charge is 2.5% up to £630. Over that, it depends on the item. You may have to pay import VAT, which is the standard rate for the UK (20%)

So I bought something like a CPU under £390, then I won't have to pay for bringing it in then?

2 minutes ago, avrona said:

So I bought something like a CPU under £390, then I won't have to pay for bringing it in then?

Yep. You don't have to declare it either. 

Just to clarity, the limit is per item. So a £300 CPU and a £300 motherboard would not be subject to import duties, even though the combined value is over £390. 

EDIT: It's worth giving HMRC a call if you have any questions though, just to be certain.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yep. You don't have to declare it either. 

Just to clarity, the limit is per item. So a £300 CPU and a £300 motherboard would not be subject to import duties, even though the combined value is over £390. 

That's good, because I don't think I'll be buying any computer part over £390.

13 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Just remember to claim bad the tax on what you buy before leaving the country

What's the VAT rate over there? Is it just the standard 20% or do they do it differently?

5 minutes ago, avrona said:

What's the VAT rate over there? Is it just the standard 20% or do they do it differently?

It was 8% last I've been but that was 7 years ago now

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige