Hammering and Torturing Old Servers?

Hello, I have 2 very old servers:

- Sun Microsystems Sun Fire X4100 with 2x AMD Opteron 254

- HP ProLiant DL360 G4 with 2x Intel Xeon 3.60 GHz (Nocona)

Both of these systems had very bad problems, from turning off and power cycling randomly, to not turning on at all and just a bunch of weird issues.

I spent an entire day stripping them down completely, cleaning everything, and heat-cycling them with a hairdryer (I was really out of ideas), anyway, one of these methods worked and both servers came back to life. I then updated both servers' BIOS and Firmwares. I then created a fresh RAID array and installed Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 on them (just for testing purposes).

I needed a way to stress test them to make sure that they are actually fixed, and that they are not going to just fail on me again. I loaded AIDA64, IntelBurnTest and Prime95 on them (only running 1 at a time though), and proceeded to run the tests. I noticed that they didn't get that hot and even though all CPUs were pinned at 100%, the systems still felt responsive as if there was no load on them at all.

Basically, I would like to know if there is a way to stress them extremely hard and really torture the hardware to tell if it is going to be stable. I will run the tests for a week or two to make sure. So far, they have passed a night of AIDA64, but as I said, they don't really seem to be breaking a sweat. I want to push the hardware to it's absolute limits. CPU, Memory, Cache, FPU, Disks, Network etc... really rev them out and take them to their breaking point.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

PS. I know these things are extremely old and almost useless by today's standards, and use a lot of power, but I like them and they are still very useful to me.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

38 minutes ago, Husky said:

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Run prime95, and all the other stress tests at the same time.

Run them for a week straight. If no issues, then you solved the problem.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.