Pc starts up but no boot.

EtoyaMak
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
5 hours ago, EtoyaMak said:

Umm I left 1 standoff out. The pre-installed one has no hole for a screw. So I skipped 1 screw in the motherboard.

One too little is no problem (unless that corner has excessive force put onto it, which can flex and break solder joints) usually, but one too many is as it shorts the board.

I'm still betting on a faulty board if a CPU reseat does nothing.

I changed cases and now my pc starts up but doesnt boot. I have no display signal, nor does the power led light up and my kb n mouse aren't powering up either.

When I first powered it up after the case change. It had the same issue, but I waited 5 mins and then plugged in the kb n mouse that somehow made it boot up and everything lit up.

I have a b350 gaming pro motherboard and with 4 ez debug leds. Only the top and bottom ones are lit up I have no idea what those are telling me.

2019-01-09 16.00.25.jpg

2019-01-09 16.00.51.jpg

2019-01-09 16.01.12.jpg

2019-01-09 16.04.00.jpg

Can you get into your Bios before it tries to boot? also what are you booting from?

1 minute ago, Indiana Cones said:

Can you get into your Bios before it tries to boot? also what are you booting from?

If it doesn't POST, there is no BIOS to access.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, Indiana Cones said:

I have no display signal. I'm booting from my SSD.

13 minutes ago, EtoyaMak said:

I changed cases and now my pc starts up but doesnt boot. I have no display signal, nor does the power led light up and my kb n mouse aren't powering up either.

When I first powered it up after the case change. It had the same issue, but I waited 5 mins and then plugged in the kb n mouse that somehow made it boot up and everything lit up.

I have a b350 gaming pro motherboard and with 4 ez debug leds. Only the top and bottom ones are lit up I have no idea what those are telling me.

Top and bottom indicate (according to the motherboard manual) CPU and Boot fail. I'd try reseating the 8-pin CPU power connector first.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

If it doesn't POST, there is no BIOS to access.

I removed every other hdd only the boot drive is connected

11 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Top and bottom indicate (according to the motherboard manual) CPU and Boot fail. I'd try reseating the 8-pin CPU power connector first.

Okay replugging the 8pin cpu made 1 light turn off

IMG_20190109_162808.jpg

2019-01-09 16.31.18.jpg

2 minutes ago, EtoyaMak said:

Okay replugging the 8pin cpu made 1 light turn off

So the CPU LED is still on. Hmm. Does it POST now by any chance?

If not, then I'm afraid it's time to take the board out of the case and start testing individual components. Worst case, your CPU has kicked the bucket.

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

So the CPU LED is still on. Hmm. Does it POST now by any chance?

If not, then I'm afraid it's time to take the board out of the case and start testing individual components. Worst case, your CPU has kicked the bucket.

No post, I'll leave it on for 15mins+. Unlikely the cpu has died this early. I had an i3 for 6 years and had done cleans n rebuilds and had no issue. I'll try to reset the cpu. Although the cpu cooler is really cold. Compared to the gpu which is above room temp

yeah might be old paste and cooler for CPU could have gotten loose?

1 minute ago, Indiana Cones said:

yeah might be old paste and cooler for CPU could have gotten loose?

All recently installed and applied but I'll still check.

What I don't get is why don't the kb, mouse and case power led light up?

So I checked the cpu without the cooler,it did get warm within 2mins. I reapplied paste and cooler.

Still no boot. Again the cpu and boot  Leds are on

3 hours ago, EtoyaMak said:

What I don't get is why don't the kb, mouse and case power led light up?

The case power LED doesn't light up because it's probably not connected properly (reversed the + and - pins?). keyboard and mouse not lighting up is normal if a PC doesn't POST. That means the PC fails in a very early stage of the POST, which figures if the CPU LED stays on.

1 hour ago, EtoyaMak said:

So I checked the cpu without the cooler,it did get warm within 2mins. I reapplied paste and cooler.

Still no boot. Again the cpu and boot  Leds are on

Sounds like your board is dead then. If the CPU stays ice cold then it's dead, if it warms up it's likely still good.

By the way, did you check the case standoffs before building? If there's one where there's no hole in the board, that might explain everything as well.

10 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

By the way, did you check the case standoffs before building? If there's one where there's no hole in the board, that might explain everything as well.

Umm I left 1 standoff out. The pre-installed one has no hole for a screw. So I skipped 1 screw in the motherboard.

5 hours ago, EtoyaMak said:

One too little is no problem (unless that corner has excessive force put onto it, which can flex and break solder joints) usually, but one too many is as it shorts the board.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 11:32 AM, NelizMastr said:

I took it to a computer shop, the dude said its the board... ordered a new one.

Thank you all for the help anyways !