Project Shield

brandon
They played back a 4k video, on a 4k TV.

How is that not 4k output?

HDMI 1.4a can carry 4K, it's decoding the 4K, exporting the stream over HDMI. It downscales for Shield's display, but not the television's.

there is no possible way it could be doing that

Why not? That's why the framerates were low on the Android games.

Think about what kind of hardware we need in tower PC's in order to drive 4K monitors and play real time games

Now, does that really translate into a handheld console? Not really, there's simply no way it could have that much power

Even if it's Android games which are I guess less intensive, it's still not possible

Think about it realistically for a second

Honestly i couldn't careless about 4k right now seeing as it's $20k for a 4k TV. I'm more excited about having (FINALLY) hardware buttons to play my damn android games, as well as being able to stream my PC games to a handheld, cos there's times I just wanna lay down on the couch (I have bad eyes so looking/playing on a TV doesn't help) and play my PC games, but obviously I can't.

Surely ppl would just use there desktop rather than this?
How would this help if u work abroad allthatremains?

Honestly i couldn't careless about 4k right now seeing as it's $20k for a 4k TV. I'm more excited about having (FINALLY) hardware buttons to play my damn android games, as well as being able to stream my PC games to a handheld, cos there's times I just wanna lay down on the couch (I have bad eyes so looking/playing on a TV doesn't help) and play my PC games, but obviously I can't.
Hardware buttons on Android have existed for a loooonnnggggg time my friend

That picture doesn't show much' date=' and the reason Anand thought it wasn't 4K is that the projector was only 1080p.[/quote'] The projector is irrelevant The projector is showing camera footage of the 4K display, the quality of the projector doesn't matter

The projector is showing camera footage of the 4K display, the quality of the projector doesn't matter

Yes it does, you see a high-resolution image if you take a picture of it and display it at 1080p.

You clearly lack the technical knowledge to discuss this in an intelligent manner and you lack the humility to admit so you force yourself into arguments in hopes that the other person will just give up so you can feel superior. This is not flame-central like post-2009 /g/, there is supposed to be some form of camaraderie here. This is a place to learn from each other, so you can leave your uninformed arguments back on 4chan. Go back to /g/, douchecanoe, you're shitting up the forum.

Sincerely, another tripfag from /g/.

My gaming PC would be at home, since it can't always move with me, so I can just sit on my merry hind-end when I have free time, connect to a network (Tegra 4 has LTE, CDMA, and GSM capabilities, so that shouldn't be too hard), and play away as if I were at home with a smaller screen and a controller. Plus I can play all of the Android games that I already have and the Tegra zone games if I deem them good.

Xperia Play.

I know what you mean though.

Ok i was maybe giving this device a hard time.

It is certainly a gd thing to be innovating and i like the fact they are taking on the other crap on the market.

Unfortunately its just not for me. I cant think of a scenario i would use it personally

I understand, this is not relevant to the majority.

You clearly lack the technical knowledge to discuss this in an intelligent manner and you lack the humility to admit so you force yourself into arguments in hopes that the other person will just give up so you can feel superior. This is not flame-central like post-2009 /g/, there is supposed to be some form of camaraderie here. This is a place to learn from each other, so you can leave your uninformed arguments back on 4chan. Go back to /g/, douchecanoe, you're shitting up the forum.

Are you telling me you realistically think that this handheld device with a Tegra 4 processor can render Android games at 4K and ouput it over HDMI?

Seriously? You believe this?

If there was any chance at all it could be doing this they would have done more than just touched on it once or twice. You can't be this dense

Also, noticed how I didn't make a remark towards the poster, but rather a counter argument to the post? Yeah, that's not flaming, it's called a discussion, debate, or argument, whatever you want to call it. I'm not being uninformed, I'm being reasonable.

The projector is still irrelevant

Yes it does, you see a high-resolution image if you take a picture of it and display it at 1080p.

This literally means nothing, you didn't make a productive post in the slightest

I work offshore but we have a terrible network obviously. Cant even watch a youtube vid. So as far as i can see this would be useless to me

That picture doesn't show much' date=' and the reason Anand thought it wasn't 4K is that the projector was only 1080p.[/quote'] The projector is irrelevant The projector is showing camera footage of the 4K display, the quality of the projector doesn't matter

The projector is showing camera footage of the 4K display, the quality of the projector doesn't matter

Sincerely, another tripfag from /g/.

We can still have a discussion here guys. No need to make it into a fight

there is no possible way it could be doing that

Why not? That's why the framerates were low on the Android games.

If an Intel CPU with HD 4000 can play Source games at minimum settings at 4K, Tegra 4 (almost as powerful as HD 4000), can play Android games (much less demanding than even Source games) at 4K at 10-15 fps, which it was doing in the demo.

Are you that narrow minded you can't see outside your little box of "this device is crap and has no use"?

It's the fact that it's all in one device, it's android open source, can play all android games, can play tegrazone games, and I can stream my damn PC games to it with what looked like (I was watching the shields screen very closely because this is what was going to break it for me) close to instant response time to him hitting the buttons.

Just because you don't like it, not gonna use it, not gonna buy it, doesn't mean that other people have no use for it.

Are you telling me you realistically think that this handheld device with a Tegra 4 processor can render Android games at 4K and ouput it over HDMI?

Seriously? You believe this?

If there was any chance at all it could be doing this they would have done more than just touched on it once or twice. You can't be this dense

Also, noticed how I didn't make a remark towards the poster, but rather a counter argument to the post? Yeah, that's not flaming, it's called a discussion, debate, or argument, whatever you want to call it. I'm not being uninformed, I'm being reasonable.

The projector is still irrelevant

This literally means nothing, you didn't make a productive post in the slightest

Yeah, I really don't see any future in it playing anything in 4k other than videos that are already 4K. Games on Tegra 4 are far from being in 4K, no matter how bad the quality is just to get it to that .

There is no point arguing about it now. The answers will come in time.

Just cool off a bit and get back to enjoying the discussion

Are you that narrow minded you can't see outside your little box of "this device is crap and has no use"?

It's the fact that it's all in one device, it's android open source, can play all android games, can play tegrazone games, and I can stream my damn PC games to it with what looked like (I was watching the shields screen very closely because this is what was going to break it for me) close to instant response time to him hitting the buttons.

Just because you don't like it, not gonna use it, not gonna buy it, doesn't mean that other people have no use for it.

Uh, that's not what I'm saying

For the large majority of my post I was discussing the 4K video output because people seemed confused

Sure, it can play Android games (Tegrazone are the same games....), but the streaming part is all software (any tablet should theoretically be able to do it, however Nvidia probably won't release the decoding software for them)

The main highlight of the whole thing is the Tegra 4, which is interesting, but honestly it's all going to come up to real world benchmarks. It's going to be fast, but can anyone justify that bulk or how uncomfortable it looks?

EDIT: Or justify it crashing when receiving chat requests?

If there was any chance at all it could be doing this they would have done more than just touched on it once or twice.

Jen-Hsun was mentioning it every two minutes. He did dedicate a segment to it - that was the 4K video and gaming demonstration. The reason he didn't do much actual talking about it as a vital part of the feature set is that he knows 4K is not going to be in consumers' homes en masse for at least two years and the journalists don't want to hear more about it than the fact that Tegra 4 is powerful enough to do something like that.

Explain to me how you can see pixels of a 4K display in a 1080p video. You wouldn't even be able to see the pixels of a 720p at that angle and zoom level, especially considering that *if* it were 720p it would be upscaled at a ratio that is not pixel-for-pixel. Were it at 720p, Tegra 4 could have handled those games at 60 fps.

It's a pre-alpha product, I'm sure. At an early stage it should be expected to crash. Despite the bugs, it still made a connection successfully and streamed gameplay from a PC over a local network.

AWWW SHIIIIIT
I have not heard that one in a while. I have to admit it made me giggle. :D

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

If there was any chance at all it could be doing this they would have done more than just touched on it once or twice.

Jen-Hsun was mentioning it every two minutes. He did dedicate a segment to it - that was the 4K video and gaming demonstration. The reason he didn't do much actual talking about it as a vital part of the feature set is that he knows 4K is not going to be in consumers' homes en masse for at least two years and the journalists don't want to hear more about it than the fact that Tegra 4 is powerful enough to do something like that.

Explain to me how you can see pixels of a 4K display in a 1080p video. You wouldn't even be able to see the pixels of a 720p at that angle and zoom level, especially considering that *if* it were 720p it would be upscaled at a ratio that is not pixel-for-pixel. Were it at 720p, Tegra 4 could have handled those games at 60 fps.

You can't see the pixels of 4K in a 1080p video, but you can just look at the UI for a second. It totally looks like it's putting out 720p content, there's no doubt about it. And higher resolutions are basically meant for more screen real estate (as well as higher image quality) but it's simply not present there

I mean, they didn't even output 1080p. At one point during the keynote (as I already mentioned) the TV's OSD showed up and said "720 x 1280 @ 60hz"

Not to mention every blog right now is talking about how it's upscaled 720p, or not mentioning the 4K aspect at all

I'm considering the screen real estate argument void, as Android has resolution-independent UI element scaling. Though the OSD part is valid. When during the stream did it show that on the display? I believe that at least during the 4K video and the first game the display output was 4K, as Jen-Hsun said during those two demos very specifically that it was rendering and outputting 4K, not just on a 4K television as he said most of the time. Perhaps the screen was switching to 720p after displaying 4K content? My television flashes the OSD like that when changing between 480p and 1080p content my primary HDMI input connected to my cable box.

It better fail

or I will have alot of banning to do

it is mobile/console gaming on freaking pc

It is a disease of a horde of bad silver spoon kids

You know you saw counter strike

I don't want pubs to be filled with this

or any steam game for that matter (has steam)

*facepalm*

This isn't turning it into console gaming, this is giving it potential to replace console gaming.

Also I don't get why people say it looks uncomfortable? It looks almost 100% like an xbox controller which (referring the wired version) is probably the most comfortable controller I've used.

Either way, I'm excited for it, and if it's around $300 i'm probably going to grab one.