Project Shield

brandon
I'm actually really pissed about this

They wasted valuable money for R&D on this portable gaming crap, and expect people to eat it all up

It's bulky, looks like crap, and they want everyone to have multiple per household. They never demonstrated it over WiFi, did they? I assume the framerates would be atrocious, and even when on ethernet it wasn't quite right.

They talked about how they were using a 4K TV, but at one point it flashed on the screen something about 720p output, so what's the point?

Also, the damn thing crashed when people sent it emails....

What a waste, just give us the GTX 700 series already

Im with u mate.

Actually shocked at how many ppl like it

I'm actually really pissed about this

They wasted valuable money for R&D on this portable gaming crap, and expect people to eat it all up

It's bulky, looks like crap, and they want everyone to have multiple per household. They never demonstrated it over WiFi, did they? I assume the framerates would be atrocious, and even when on ethernet it wasn't quite right.

They talked about how they were using a 4K TV, but at one point it flashed on the screen something about 720p output, so what's the point?

Also, the damn thing crashed when people sent it emails....

What a waste, just give us the GTX 700 series already

Calm down, a 680 ran the Samaritan demo; the 700 series will probably announced at Computex but it is not a pressing matter at all.

The 4K output *was* 4K for the video and Android games, but of course it wasn't so for the PC games. Can your PC max AAA games at 4K?

It better fail

or I will have alot of banning to do

it is mobile/console gaming on freaking pc

It is a disease of a horde of bad silver spoon kids

You know you saw counter strike

I don't want pubs to be filled with this

or any steam game for that matter (has steam)

*facepalm*

Why don't you want PC gaming to succeed? We're not hipsters here' date=' we want the mainstream to be attracted to our platform. This is a device marketed toward teens and young adults, and it will appeal to those demographics very well.[/quote']

I don't want pc gaming to turn into console

it wont fail, it is just getting better

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

nvidia thoroughly deserves the crown as it single handedly ultra slapped the ps3, 360, vita, 3ds, wii u, ouya, ipad 4, every android phone, the iphone, every tablet, and most laptops in the face at the same time
They have the advantage of having their own CPU/GPU now, so they do have the upper hand, but I expected more

72 gpu cores? Really? And it's pumping out that crap? It looked like it was running at 16fps on a local Android game

And then they talked about the remote game thing where you connect to your PC with it. Alright, that's cool, but it's not really innovation, and it's not competition at all to any PC or even any other game console. Not to mention the LAG you would get with that thing, could you imagine? Don't even think about using it when you're not on local network.

It's bulky and ugly too, doesn't look comfortable at all

Nothing worth noting here, just a waste in general

Dav, you're still missing the whole point of it. Obviously one can just use their desktop, but what if my ass hurts from sitting in the chair for so long but I still wanna play my PC Games? Oh look at that I can jump on the couch, whip it out and continue playing.

Not to mention a proper hardware buttons for android games (and roms) on a nice small compact handheld device, also the TegraZone which is going to have it's own games, Hawken runs natively on it, what else could be run natively on it?

Calm down, a 680 ran the Samaritan demo; the 700 series will probably announced at Computex but it is not a pressing matter at all. The 4K output *was* 4K for the video and Android games, but of course it wasn't so for the PC games. Can your PC max AAA games at 4K?

There was no 4K output at all

There is no way that thing can run Android apps at 4K

Did you see them browsing through the marketplace and the Android homescreen? Definitely 720p

At least the damn thing wasn't held together with woodscrews

EDIT: It can decode 4K video, how about that, that's what they said at least

Look here, this is definitely not 4K

Nvidia2013CES-882_575px.jpg

Even Anandtech agrees, scroll down to 9:50

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6548/nvidia-ces-2013-press-event-live-blog

Surely ppl would just use there desktop rather than this?
You're forgetting Grid and Big Picture. Think of how much easier this will be at small LAN parties with friends: No need to bring my peripherals and monitor. Connect to my PC with Shield, launch Big Picture or Grid, then play on my friend's living room television. Or what if someone in my house or dorm wants to borrow my PC for something while I'm playing a game? I alt-tab away and keep playing my game with this.

this topic alone would make for an awesome linustech weekly I can't wait to see what else is coming from the rest of CES

Calm down, a 680 ran the Samaritan demo; the 700 series will probably announced at Computex but it is not a pressing matter at all. The 4K output *was* 4K for the video and Android games, but of course it wasn't so for the PC games. Can your PC max AAA games at 4K?

There was no 4K output at all

There is no way that thing can run Android apps at 4K

Did you see them browsing through the marketplace and the Android homescreen? Definitely 720p

At least the damn thing wasn't held together with woodscrews

EDIT: It can decode 4K video, how about that, that's what they said at least

Look here, this is definitely not 4K

Nvidia2013CES-882_575px.jpg

Even Anandtech agrees, scroll down to 9:50

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6548/nvidia-ces-2013-press-event-live-blog

Jen-Hsun said it was explicitly "rendering 4K" during one of the games, and the video was in 4K. As for the Marketplace, Android has resolution-independent scaling so the UI elements were kept at a scale that was readable on the Shield's integrated display.

That picture doesn't show much, and the reason Anand thought it wasn't 4K is that the projector was only 1080p.

Im not against portability but when it comes to my ultra gaming rig im not gonna connect a bloody handheld to it just so i can play it in a different room of my house.

They played back a 4k video, on a 4k TV.

How is that not 4k output?

nvidia thoroughly deserves the crown as it single handedly ultra slapped the ps3, 360, vita, 3ds, wii u, ouya, ipad 4, every android phone, the iphone, every tablet, and most laptops in the face at the same time
you must be an AMD fanboy

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

At was running at 16 fps because it was rendering fucking 4K.

Jen-Hsun said it was explicitly "rendering 4K" during one of the games, and the video was in 4K.

Then he lied, there is no possible way it could be doing that

If so, they would have made a bigger deal about it when they were explaining the Tegra 4

He only made little side references to it, like when the thing failed (lol)

Dav, you're still missing the whole point of it. Obviously one can just use their desktop, but what if my ass hurts from sitting in the chair for so long but I still wanna play my PC Games? Oh look at that I can jump on the couch, whip it out and continue playing.

Not to mention a proper hardware buttons for android games (and roms) on a nice small compact handheld device, also the TegraZone which is going to have it's own games, Hawken runs natively on it, what else could be run natively on it?

Im honestly tryin to get my head round it. Not trying to be narrow minded but i guess it just isnt for me.

Ill wait to see more extensive testing at a later date to see if im just bein ignorant to the idea

yeah seriously, can any other mobile device in the world even handle 4K? no, no one has 4k anyway, this would play beautifully at 1080

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Well in my profession, I'd be playing in a different country, such as Kuwait, Germany, Afghanistan, Taiwan, or South Africa, just to name a few.

there is no possible way it could be doing that

Why not? That's why the framerates were low on the Android games.

Ok those ideas seem to make sense brandon.

I think it just doesnt apply to my needs unfortunately

when my scoliosis kicks in after a few hours of gaming on my rig it would be awesome to go and lay down on the couch and keep going

They played back a 4k video, on a 4k TV.

How is that not 4k output?

Just because it's a 4K TV doesn't mean the device is sending out 4K signals, there could be upscaling

You could connect a laptop to a 4K TV but have the output only be 1080p, and set the TV to upscale the signal to fit the display

And yes, it can decode 4K (supposedly, they said it but who can confirm it), but then it's downsampling it to send it out over the 720p output

That picture doesn't show much, and the reason Anand thought it wasn't 4K is that the projector was only 1080p.

The projector is irrelevant

The projector is showing camera footage of the 4K display, the quality of the projector doesn't matter

Ok i was maybe giving this device a hard time.

It is certainly a gd thing to be innovating and i like the fact they are taking on the other crap on the market.

Unfortunately its just not for me. I cant think of a scenario i would use it personally