Looking For Server Rack, Need Recomendations

ionbasa

So, I'm starting to accumulate more and more rack mountable equipments and I'll be adding more to it in the next few months with a new switch for my house plus Pfsense router. 

I'm looking for a rack that is full depth 1000mm (~39in)  but has casters to move around. I unfortunately cannot put it in a closet or something similar, so I am looking for something that is around 25U in height.
Sound dampening is a plus but not required. It will go into my home office. 

Thoughts?
What are other racks the LTT community is using?

I'll be filling it was my UPS, network gear, and a few servers (HP+Dell)

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

In general you can find basic four post racks that have no panels. Enclosed racks with side panels and doors, and sound isolated racks that are designed to put servers in close proximity to people. New 25U four post racks can come from amazon or ebay and are pretty inexpensive. New ones are under $200, and there is likely plenty used ones for sale locally. Enclosed racks are a lot nicer and generally are able to support more equipment and offer a minimal level of sound deadening. New models will be very expensive, but usually used racks like a Dell 2410 or 2510 can be found locally for cheap from data centers replacing their older cabinets. I would expect used half height racks like this to sell for under $100 especially in Socal. Finding a sound isolation rack is very challenging used typically. I have seen a couple sell used in the ~$2000 range and occasionally people find one for very cheap on craigslist or similar, but it seems very uncommon. New prices for a quality sound isolating rack would likely be many thousands of dollars. 

Also remember that casters aren't useful once you have a rack full of equipment and you should probably lower the stabilizing legs once you have the rack in position- I cannot imagine trying to roll around a loaded server rack anywhere. 

I would also consider looking into racks that arent the full 1000mm, because finding one will likely cost a great deal more than a half height that is shorter (and your servers and cables can always just hang out the back if you have anything exceptionally long. I have my C7000 and 5108 chassis hang out the back of the rack slightly. I use a fairly basic 4 post 45U rack myself. 

APC makes like 90% of the racks on the market and they get re-branded. if you want to fully spec one out i would start with them. the dell half racks are sweet. Post racks are cringe to myself but thats because they  are always half assed and cables always suffer. 

29 minutes ago, Minbari said:

In general you can find basic four post racks that have no panels. Enclosed racks with side panels and doors, and sound isolated racks that are designed to put servers in close proximity to people. New 25U four post racks can come from amazon or ebay and are pretty inexpensive. New ones are under $200, and there is likely plenty used ones for sale locally. Enclosed racks are a lot nicer and generally are able to support more equipment and offer a minimal level of sound deadening. New models will be very expensive, but usually used racks like a Dell 2410 or 2510 can be found locally for cheap from data centers replacing their older cabinets. I would expect used half height racks like this to sell for under $100 especially in Socal. Finding a sound isolation rack is very challenging used typically. I have seen a couple sell used in the ~$2000 range and occasionally people find one for very cheap on craigslist or similar, but it seems very uncommon. New prices for a quality sound isolating rack would likely be many thousands of dollars. 

Also remember that casters aren't useful once you have a rack full of equipment and you should probably lower the stabilizing legs once you have the rack in position- I cannot imagine trying to roll around a loaded server rack anywhere. 

I would also consider looking into racks that arent the full 1000mm, because finding one will likely cost a great deal more than a half height that is shorter (and your servers and cables can always just hang out the back if you have anything exceptionally long. I have my C7000 and 5108 chassis hang out the back of the rack slightly. I use a fairly basic 4 post 45U rack myself. 

3 minutes ago, Smite said:

APC makes like 90% of the racks on the market and they get re-branded. if you want to fully spec one out i would start with them. the dell half racks are sweet. Post racks are cringe to myself but thats because they  are always half assed and cables always suffer. 

Open four post racks are out of the question. This is going in the middle of the office due to not having closet space for it, so it will be relatively close to three desks and a workbench. Is it possible to add sound dampening material to fully enclosed racks?

McMaster Carr sells sound dampening foam that has adhesive so it can be sticked on to any surface: https://www.mcmaster.com/#foam/=c89c11bbfdd541b4a16b7ec133bb2e86jqld8ge0

I'm thinking I could install that on the side panels of the fully enclosed half rack? As for craigslist, it's been a bust this past few weeks. Nothing really exceptional that I have found in the socal area. Most of everything I am finding is in the approximately $300 to $600 which is not bad IMO, but they're all either near LAX or San Diego. I'm right in the middle of the two ?

I did find this Dell Half rack for $350: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/d/chino-dell-network-server-rack/6776691451.html Might be worth it?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

For the dell rack it's not bad the split back is my preference. Sound dampening will help minimally depending on your servers. if its in an office environment might look at filtering\extra meshing front and back to add more sound damping again depending on server and loads and ambients.

1 minute ago, ionbasa said:

Open four post racks are out of the question. This is going in the middle of the office due to not having closet space for it, so it will be relatively close to three desks and a workbench. Is it possible to add sound dampening material to fully enclosed racks?

McMaster Carr sells sound dampening foam that has adhesive so it can be sticked on to any surface: https://www.mcmaster.com/#foam/=c89c11bbfdd541b4a16b7ec133bb2e86jqld8ge0

I'm thinking I could install that on the side panels of the fully enclosed half rack? As for craigslist, it's been a bust this past few weeks. Nothing really exceptional that I have found in the socal area. Most of everything I am finding is in the approximately $300 to $600 which is not bad IMO, but they're all either near LAX or San Diego. I'm right in the middle of the two ?

I did find this Dell Half rack for $350: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/d/chino-dell-network-server-rack/6776691451.html Might be worth it?

$350 for a Dell 2420 is a great deal but I am from Canada so I suspect prices are typically much lower for racks where you live. From personal experience the front and back of server racks is where the best noise isolation needs to be added since very little noise comes from the sides of server equipment unless you have many side blower switches or routers. 

The "best" diy route to isolate server noise is constructing a baffle of sorts on the front/back/both of the rack. This thread has some very simplistic models to illustrate the concept of air channels to let the servers breathe but line the air channels with acoustic dampening. I can't imagine a 24U installation would be cheap or small, but I have seen it done by a few people online who need to keep servers in their bedroom closets or similar. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-traps-acoustic-panels-foam-etc/538696-soundproof-computer-cabinet.html 

My best technique to quieten my server rack is to just turn off as much equipment as I can, perform fan mods on obnoxious servers and routers, and generally remove all switch fans. All my switches run just fine with reasonable temps with passive cooling in the room. 

The least time intensive (but not very effective) solution would be to use an enclosed rack and add some basic baffling or foam to some parts of it to dampen a bit of the noise. Keep in mind the airflow restrictiveness of the front panel though, most server documentation will specify a required percentage of the front door to be perforated and open for airflow. I believe these are typically in the 80% range, and most rack doors are around there also. 

If the close proximity is absolutely required: 

1. try and reduce the overall noise output of all your equipment (and condense/reduce the amount of equipment in the rack at all

2. get it as far away as possible from the people as possible

3. add basic acoustic foam or dampening to a rack

4. If needed build some basic air baffle to shut noise out. 

31 minutes ago, Minbari said:

$350 for a Dell 2420 is a great deal but I am from Canada so I suspect prices are typically much lower for racks where you live. From personal experience the front and back of server racks is where the best noise isolation needs to be added since very little noise comes from the sides of server equipment unless you have many side blower switches or routers. 

It seems the Dell 2420 is missing the right side panel.

How easy is it to find replacement parts for these?

Just now, ionbasa said:

It seems the Dell 2420 is missing the right side panel.

How easy is it to find replacement parts for these?

If you need the right side panel and it doesn't have one then don't buy it. Unless you find one locally for cheap (almost impossible) then you are left trying to find one on ebay and ship a massive panel that rarely exists without the entire rack. I can't imagine what it would cost to source one of those. You would be better off making your own or buying a different rack. 

10 hours ago, Minbari said:

If you need the right side panel and it doesn't have one then don't buy it. Unless you find one locally for cheap (almost impossible) then you are left trying to find one on ebay and ship a massive panel that rarely exists without the entire rack. I can't imagine what it would cost to source one of those. You would be better off making your own or buying a different rack. 

I found an older Dell 2410 on eBay within driving distance for fairly cheap. Haven't contacted the seller yet buy I'm worried about 1 thing:
It looks as if the panels are misaligned judging from the pictures. That tells me that the case is probably damaged somehow or is not completely perpendicular?

Note how the doors and panels don't line up correctly:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Would that be caused due to it being on an uneven surface or angled surface? Or is the case just not square/perpendicular due to some other damage? Will filling it with equipment help as it increases the rigidity?

9 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Would that be caused due to it being on an uneven surface or angled surface? Or is the case just not square/perpendicular due to some other damage? Will filling it with equipment help as it increases the rigidity?

Its never 100% possible to tell from pictures. from personal experience the rack is probably just fine, especially since the doors and panels have zero impact on the vertical racking rails or the ability to mount hardware. Lots of used racks have dings and dented panels and I'm sure much of the damage is easily fixable, and potentially the doors could be straightened too. I would be happy to buy that rack for a decent price. Minor misalignments and stuff on cosmetic panels that you only require for sound dampening shouldn't deter you unless there is something structurally wrong with the cabinet (very unlikely).