Designing a Case from scratch

hsxcix

Hello, I am a mechanical engineering student in the first semester. We recently got introduced to cad (Siemens Solid Edge), it is designed to create small machine parts like bolds and so on, so not the ideal software but for now, it will make do.

With this post, I just want to ask, if someone has specific requests for the case, improvement ideas and so on.

I might produce one when I am satisfied with the design. Produce prototypes on the universities 3d printers and then go over to fabrication to produce it with "real" materials.

Does anybody have a collection of standardized dimensions? Like a Cheatsheet 

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, hsxcix said:

This is a great collection of standard motherboard form factors with all kinds of useful info.

https://grabcad.com/library/generic-atx-matx-mitx-thinitx-motherboards-1

Often the way I get the PCI-e slots on the back of the case right is by finding a model for the size of GPU that I want, and mating it to the inside of the slot on the motherboard with all the proper constraints.

24 minutes ago, hsxcix said:

As Enderman suggested Protocase is a good resource, not to mention their CAD software they've develop for case design is quite good espically if you want to physically produce this as a product which they can do. 

2 minutes ago, Alec M said:

Love that website, its brilliant for almost anything you need but can't be arsed to make yourself as you have more stupid parts to make 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

Thanks for all the recommendations.

First order of business: move to another cad software.

Solid edge is good for what its designed for but not for developing something bigger IMO. I just might be too inexperienced with this software. 

16 hours ago, hsxcix said:

Thanks for all the recommendations.

First order of business: move to another cad software.

Solid edge is good for what its designed for but not for developing something bigger IMO. I just might be too inexperienced with this software. 

I recommend Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor, or Fusion 360.

Inventor and Fusion are free if you're a student.