Lost power cord, need help asap

So I lost the power cord to my EVGA 550 G3 PSU.  You know, the one that goes from the wall to your power supply and I need a new one.  Is there anything important I need to note about the cable?  Is it special in anyway, such as being specific to the power supply or would some thing like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/ONN-6-Foot-AC-Power-Cord-Black-with-Universal-Design-to-Fit-Any-AC-Unit/359954984 work fine?  I need to know quickly so I can get it this weekend before my friend leaves.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

thats a regular power supply cord that all desktops use for decades.

if you have an old computer or monitor in a closet just use the cord from that

See I'd agree but I just tried the power cord from my Acer Monitor and the supply wouldn't even turn on.  I will try again.  I might've done something wrong.

7 minutes ago, GuyWhoGamesOnA2011Laptop said:

So I lost the power cord to my EVGA 550 G3 PSU.  You know, the one that goes from the wall to your power supply and I need a new one.  Is there anything important I need to note about the cable?  Is it special in anyway, such as being specific to the power supply or would some thing like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/ONN-6-Foot-AC-Power-Cord-Black-with-Universal-Design-to-Fit-Any-AC-Unit/359954984 work fine?  I need to know quickly so I can get it this weekend before my friend leaves.

Look's right

1 minute ago, GuyWhoGamesOnA2011Laptop said:

See I'd agree but I just tried the power cord from my Acer Monitor and the supply wouldn't even turn on.  I will try again.  I might've done something wrong.

is the power supply..... installed in a computer or just loose?

3 minutes ago, GuyWhoGamesOnA2011Laptop said:

Uhm.. what? So you plugged your power cord to the back of the PSU, plugged it into the wall socket and then have you tried turning the PSU safety switch ON? Before turning on the PC? 

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

is the power supply..... installed in a computer or just loose?

Just loose but I could've swore I'd tested it before and the PSU's fan turned on.

2 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

So you plugged your power cord to the back of the PSU, plugged it into the wall socket and then have you tried turning the PSU safety switch ON? Before turning on the PC?

My supply just has a power switch and one called "Eco".  I tried it with both.

I think I see what you're both getting at.  I'll finish assembly then try.  If it doesn't work then, I'll just go and get the cable.

One , test the wall socket with a lamp , to see if you have power. Wild guest

16 minutes ago, GuyWhoGamesOnA2011Laptop said:

If by "wouldn't even turn on", are you going off of video output? If so, might wanna check the power to your monitor... :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

If by "wouldn't even turn on", are you going off of video output? If so, might wanna check the power to your monitor... :P

No, I'm going off the fan that neither the supply's fan nor the case fan I had plugged in via Molex would spin.

3 minutes ago, Zmax said:

One , test the wall socket with a lamp , to see if you have power. Wild guest

I did that.  I do.

3 minutes ago, GuyWhoGamesOnA2011Laptop said:

No, I'm going off the fan that neither the supply's fan nor the case fan I had plugged in via Molex would spin.

I did that.  I do.

Was the PSU connected to your motherboard, or being jumped?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Was the PSU connected to your motherboard, or being jumped?

Just plugged into the wall and into the case fan.  I was wanting to check the fan by itself thought now, thanks to everyone I realize I was probably being a idiot.

1 hour ago, GuyWhoGamesOnA2011Laptop said:

Just loose but I could've swore I'd tested it before and the PSU's fan turned on.

My supply just has a power switch and one called "Eco".  I tried it with both.

I think I see what you're both getting at.  I'll finish assembly then try.  If it doesn't work then, I'll just go and get the cable.

Are you sure that wasn't the 120V > 220V button right? Because you may probably broke it

8 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Are you sure that wasn't the 120V > 220V button right? Because you may probably broke it

No modern/high quality PSU has that button these days. They recognize the voltage automatically.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

1 hour ago, GuyWhoGamesOnA2011Laptop said:

Just plugged into the wall and into the case fan.  I was wanting to check the fan by itself thought now, thanks to everyone I realize I was probably being a idiot.

If you were just testing it by bridging the pins the fan probably didn't start spinning because you hit the Eco mode switch. It's a weird name for a semi-fanless mode, where the fan doesn't spin under low loads to make the PSU quieter.

Also, don't be alarmed if you turn Eco mode off, start the PSU with a jumper and it turns off after a while. Modern PSUs have a protection system that turns them off when no load is present. That's why if you want to use a modern PSU as a 12V power source for DIY projects you need a dummy load.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

@DJ46 All I did was plug the cord into the wall, then into my PSU, then plugged the fan in via molex, flipped eco off, and flipped the power switch.  When that didn't work, I tried all possible combinations of the two switches.

8 hours ago, GuyWhoGamesOnA2011Laptop said:

That PSU comes with a turn around jumper for the 24 pin. Did you plug that into it?

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Just now, Psybadek said:

That PSU comes with a turn around jumper for the 24 pin. Did you plug that into it?

All I did was what I typed.  The only things plugged into the PSU was the power cord from the wall and the perif cord into the fan.  Nothing was connected.

Just now, GuyWhoGamesOnA2011Laptop said:

All I did was what I typed.  The only things plugged into the PSU was the power cord from the wall and the perif cord into the fan.  Nothing was connected.

If you still have that turn around plug I'd plug it in and give it a try.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

1 minute ago, Psybadek said:

If you still have that turn around plug I'd plug it in and give it a try.

I've been putting it all together and then I'm going to try.  I've just got to connect my SSD and front panel stuff.

Well, I guess I was just doing something wrong.  Put the whole thing together and I managed to get her turned on and into the BIOS.  Just gotta install Win 10 and my new gaming machine is up and running.  Thanks to all who helped me to realize I was just being a idiot.

2 hours ago, GuyWhoGamesOnA2011Laptop said:

@DJ46 All I did was plug the cord into the wall, then into my PSU, then plugged the fan in via molex, flipped eco off, and flipped the power switch.  When that didn't work, I tried all possible combinations of the two switches.

The power switch on the back of the power supply doesn't "turn on" the power supply. The COMPUTER is what turns on the power supply. Specifically, the power button on your case bridges two pins in the 24pin connector when you press it.

If you expected the PSU fan, and the molex fan, to spin when you flipped the power switch, then everyone with a computer would have to duck under their desk and flip the PSU switch to "off" every time after shutting down Windows, otherwise all their case fans would still spin.

The power switch on the back of the PSU is only there to prevent the PSU from turning on by anything.

46 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

The power switch on the back of the power supply doesn't "turn on" the power supply. The COMPUTER is what turns on the power supply. Specifically, the power button on your case bridges two pins in the 24pin connector when you press it.

If you expected the PSU fan, and the molex fan, to spin when you flipped the power switch, then everyone with a computer would have to duck under their desk and flip the PSU switch to "off" every time after shutting down Windows, otherwise all their case fans would still spin.

The power switch on the back of the PSU is only there to prevent the PSU from turning on by anything.

I understand that now, as I said in my previous post.