High ping because of ISP?

JeI2emy
Go to solution Solved by NEXUS2345,
On 1/4/2019 at 11:54 AM, mynameisjuan said:

So much wrong information in this thread.

First, forget about DNS, thats not the issue plain and simple. You can use what ever DNS you like with no side effects. Please stop listening to people saying its DNS.

Second, notice hop 5-->6. This jump is from one ISP to the next. This is from Colombia to Miami Florida, thats 2,400Km. This is 10ms absolute minimum before equipment is even involved over fiber. A 30ms jump over a congested undersea cable is 100% fine. This is also seen again from 8 to final destination because its then going up to virginia then all the way to california. Again, normal.

There is nothing wrong with your ping and there is nothing on your end or even your ISP's end that can fix it unless they can make light go faster than the speed of light 

Internal routers. Completely normal. 

Nope, internal IPs have nothing to do with this problem nor is the "problem" even on this ISP. ISPs can have 10's to 100's of internal routers. 

I agree with most of your points here, but I do still think it is something to do with the ISP.

DNS is most definitely not a cause, mainly because after the first DNS request the local machine would cache it. The only problem there would then be if the TTL was very short, which is unlikely unless they are doing load balancing at DNS which is just absurd, so this is a non-issue for sure.

I am in agreement with the fact that the ISP transition is about right with ping, although the cable being used is ARCOS-1 from the look of it, which is a ring network stopping in 24 locations, one of them being Puerto Limon in Costa Rica which is more likely to be the source as opposed to Columbia. The ping looks about right for a ring style network.

The issue lies here in the transition from ARCOS to the next ISP, PCCW Global. For some reason, instead of diverting from Miami to Chicago via Dallas, they are instead sending his traffic on the path Miami -> Seattle -> Chicago (Locale of Riot's DC). This would explain the unusually high ping. This is probably just a routing error in one of the carriers dynamic routing protocols sending him on a roundabout path. It may be fixed eventually. 

So in truth here the issue doesn't lie with the ISPs own network but it's peered networks that it relies on.

I swithed to a new ISP, everything has been going great recently until I started getting higher pings on most of my games(60ms->180ms on rainbow6 and 110-150ms on League of Legends). I made sure to block access to all devices on my network but nothing seems to be working, I heard the ISP COULD be the problem because of their routing so how should I talk to them to solve my problem I also heard that if I ask them to resset my IP my problem should be solved but as far as I can tell my IP is static.

19 minutes ago, JeI2emy said:

I swithed to a new ISP, everything has been going great recently until I started getting higher pings on most of my games(60ms->180ms on rainbow6 and 110-150ms on League of Legends). I made sure to block access to all devices on my network but nothing seems to be working, I heard the ISP COULD be the problem because of their routing so how should I talk to them to solve my problem I also heard that if I ask them to resset my IP my problem should be solved but as far as I can tell my IP is static.

Depending on if you can get into your router, you can change your DNS, that might help too.

Also, again, depending on your router, flashing to a newer firmware can help.

But I can't say these things for certain until we know more about your ISP, internet plan, router/modem model and connection type

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Do a tracert from Windows CLI for something like the google DNS, `tracert 8.8.8.8`

If you are from linux `tracepath 8.8.8.8`

You'll get the latency from each hop

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Depending on if you can get into your router, you can change your DNS, that might help too.

DNS has nothing to do with latency in gaming. DNS really only affects latency on high request web pages. 

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

DNS has nothing to do with latency in gaming. DNS really only affects latency on high request web pages. 

Fair enough, but if you set everything up right, then you can eliminate these things as possible issues.

Im just working from the ground up.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

30 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Fair enough, but if you set everything up right, then you can eliminate these things as possible issues.

Im just working from the ground up.

DNS is never an issue with it comes with latency in games. I  get you want to eliminate issues but its solving the wrong problem.

4 hours ago, JeI2emy said:

ISP COULD be the problem because of their routing so how should I talk to them to solve my problem

No, its no the routing. If it was at most you would see 2-3ms difference. 

The main cause is the type of connection. It sounds like you are on cable or maybe DSL which have higher latency just because the way the tech works. 

8 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Are you using a wired connection or a wireless one.

Also, location

I am on a wired connection, I'm from Costa Rica and my ISP is named 'Cabletica', 15mb down and 3mb up

8 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Also, again, depending on your router, flashing to a newer firmware can help.

But I can't say these things for certain until we know more about your ISP, internet plan, router/modem model and connection type

I use google's public DNS on my computer's IPV4 configuration. My ISP plan is 15mb down and 3mb up.My router is a tp-link  TL-WR940N, and my modem is a SB6183. I'm on a wired connection.

1 hour ago, JeI2emy said:

I use google's public DNS on my computer's IPV4 configuration

That'sa kinda pointless if the router uses your ISP's DNS.

11 hours ago, Lukyp said:

Do a tracert from Windows CLI for something like the google DNS, `tracert 8.8.8.8`

If you are from linux `tracepath 8.8.8.8`

You'll get the latency from each hop

Here´s a trace route to riotgames´ NA server it matches my current ping. Notice the hop number 8.

tracert.JPG

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

That'sa kinda pointless if the router uses your ISP's DNS.

really?? I´ve had DNS problems in the past so I just ose Google´s public DNS. Thanks tho

24 minutes ago, JeI2emy said:

Here´s a trace route to riotgames´ NA server it matches my current ping. Notice the hop number 8.

tracert.JPG

10.x.x.x and 172.16.x.x are private range addresses, internal to your ISP location, probably, and the ones after are definitely also part of your ISP so they are the issue, I would say the things are a bit strange even on hop 5 since 13, 34 and 7 are a lot different.
Nothing strange on your local router, you are not the problem there

The whois at hop 5 is "Columbus Networks de Colombia Limitada" which is your ISP probably?

Anyway why trying the riot US servers if you are from spain? Try the west EU ones

EDIT: the second hop is a bit strange too... Needs further testing, other traceroutes for other locations possibly near you would be useful 

Edited by Guest

Just now, Lukyp said:

10.x.x.x and 172.16.x.x are private range addresses, internal to your ISP location, probably, and the ones after are definitely also part of your ISP so they are the issue, I would say the things are a bit strange even on hop 5 since 13, 34 and 7 are a lot different.

The whois at hop 5 is "Columbus Networks de Colombia Limitada" which is your ISP probably?

Anyway why trying the riot US servers if you are from spain? Try the west EU ones

Beat me to the punch,

If you are running DSL, check with your ISP, there may be congestion at one of the points in your network, unfortunately there probably isn't anything they can do about it short of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars upgrading the infrastructure 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

3 hours ago, Lukyp said:

EDIT: the second hop is a bit strange too... Needs further testing, other traceroutes for other locations possibly near you would be useful 

Hello, thanks for the response. I´m from Latin America, so I play on the LAN Servers but I smurf on NA too, with my last ISP my ping was at about 110ms which is playable but now I´m playing on 150ms. I´ll provide other trace routes if you wish to.

@Lukyp Here are some other trace routes to google´s public DNS, Bing and Facebook. 

bing tracert.JPG

facebook tracert.JPG

tracert google.JPG

7 hours ago, Lukyp said:

10.x.x.x and 172.16.x.x are private range addresses

A negative side-effect of CGN maybe? In my case it dropped a 100/10 connection to 2/0,2....

9 hours ago, JeI2emy said:

@Lukyp Here are some other trace routes to google´s public DNS, Bing and Facebook. 

bing tracert.JPG

facebook tracert.JPG

tracert google.JPG

Definitely your ISP, the ping is a bit excessive

13 hours ago, JeI2emy said:

tracert.JPG

So much wrong information in this thread.

First, forget about DNS, thats not the issue plain and simple. You can use what ever DNS you like with no side effects. Please stop listening to people saying its DNS.

Second, notice hop 5-->6. This jump is from one ISP to the next. This is from Colombia to Miami Florida, thats 2,400Km. This is 10ms absolute minimum before equipment is even involved over fiber. A 30ms jump over a congested undersea cable is 100% fine. This is also seen again from 8 to final destination because its then going up to virginia then all the way to california. Again, normal.

There is nothing wrong with your ping and there is nothing on your end or even your ISP's end that can fix it unless they can make light go faster than the speed of light 

13 hours ago, Lukyp said:

10.x.x.x and 172.16.x.x are private range addresses, internal to your ISP location

13 hours ago, Lukyp said:

ISP so they are the issue

Nope, internal IPs have nothing to do with this problem nor is the "problem" even on this ISP. ISPs can have 10's to 100's of internal routers. 

35 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Definitely your ISP, the ping is a bit excessive

Seeing how from his location to Google's DNS is 8,000km away which light takes 30ms to travel, no, its far from excessive 

34 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Seeing how from his location to Google's DNS is 8,000km away which light takes 30ms to travel, no, its far from excessive 

I am 10,000km far from google's DNS, in Europe, using a DSL connection, and I have 27ms in total, excluding that also because they probably got better bandwidth in there across the sea, seeing how much delay he gets on the first 3 hops I would definitely part of the problem is also with is ISP other than distance and I would definitely contact them, clearly if he had another ISP in the past which had better latency there is something wrong with them

On the tests he made 2 times the delay was of 29 and 33ms, and the third hop again 48ms only in his ISP network, and only with ICMP, imagine an UDP flow 

I won't be surprised to get that much ping and fluctuations in games

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

I am 10,000km far from google's DNS, in Europe, using a DSL connection, and I have 27ms in total, excluding that also because they probably got better bandwidth in there across the sea, seeing how much delay he gets on the first 3 hops I would definitely part of the problem is also with is ISP other than distance and I would definitely contact them, clearly if he had another ISP in the past which had better latency there is something wrong with them

On the tests he made 2 times the delay was of 29 and 33ms, and the third hop again 48ms only in his ISP network, and only with ICMP, imagine an UDP flow 

I won't be surprised to get that much ping and fluctuations in games

I mean sure, its cool that you think your can travel faster than the speed of light on top of interleaved DSL which has a minimum delay of 20ms.

Or the more likely is you are hitting a cached server in your ISPs NOC. But sure, I will 100% believe that you have 27ms ping over DSL 10,000kms away, its not like I am a network engineer for an ISP where our main platform is DSL and fiber. I understand and see the limitations. Not just look at tracerts and pings and say its not normal. 

Also his UDP flow will be better than ICMP so yeah.

52 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:
14 hours ago, Lukyp said:

10.x.x.x and 172.16.x.x are private range addresses, internal to your ISP location

What passes for completely normal in your part of the world is odd, if I passed through private network IP'd routers outside of my network there would be some awkward questioned fielded by my IPS's technical sales department.

As far as I'm concerned someone has added ~36ms of bad infrastructure planning between OP and his OWN public IP, along with extra latency added by anything manufactured by TP link.

6 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

What passes for completely normal in your part of the world is odd, if I passed through private network IP'd routers outside of my network there would be some awkward questioned fielded by my IPS's technical sales department.

As far as I'm concerned someone has added ~36ms of bad infrastructure planning between OP and his OWN public IP, along with extra latency added by anything manufactured by TP link.

Ok so here is the most basic path of traffic out a typical home connection to out side the ISP

image.png.8eb7acae8793870a465b747ef82e6c3a.png

This is the most basic path a customer takes to reach the edge of the ISP. Typically there are many more switches involved between the switches/routers above. Each of those devices needs their own management IP and interface IP when routing. 

Now he shouldnt be getting private IP responses, it should be responding over it public interface or have ACLs preventing a response.

13 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

its not like I am a network engineer for an ISP where our main platform is DSL and fiber. 

Cool, I would like to know where you got your degree