How can i get a better signal in this scenario?

Luke

I'll start by saying thanks for your time if you decide to help. So i helped fixed someones computer recently and they live in a campground with where the WIFI is shared from one main signal. Some of their devices pick up a good signal (phones) some are extremely weak (laptop) and others can't connect at all for some reason (PS4). Apparently, they can't get their own dedicated internet where they live so they have to work with what they have. I'm not good with networking etc at all so i was hoping someone here might have a suggestion. The signal itself seems to be okay but it's not strong enough for the small devices. I was thinking maybe hooking up a router with big antenna's inside the trailer to catch the signal and then have the small devices connect to that? If that's possible? I really don't know.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

wifi signal strength is depended on the range and obstacles.

the longer the range to the router the weaker the signal, same as if there some obstacles like walls.

you can use another router to distribute the signal, but it requires more advance settings.

what you can do is using a WIFI range extender, put it in a good distance between the main router and your devices.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

wifi signal strength is depended on the range and obstacles.

Weaker routers will also have worse signal strength.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

@Crunchy Dragon yeah, i assume he cannot replace the campground wifi router, so a range extender might be a good solution.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

If every device that wants to connect to the internet via the campground's WiFi has to make its own signed connection. Then that in itself is slowing the outbound connection via the campground gateway.

What you could do is use a Windows 10 computer as a mobile hotspot, and this could then be the distribution point for a single strong internet connection.

Depending on how much other traffic is within the campground and how stealth you would like this connection to be between the main router and your friend the end user.

A small machine such as a home media server that is running Windows 10 OS (or another desktop machine) that will always be switched on and, has a WiFi card with external antenna connectors (such as the SilverStone ECWA1 Wireless Mini PCIe Adapter) would be required.

• Maximum stealth; attach to the machine a 2.4GHz Indoor 5dBi Gain Omni-Directional Antenna (D-Link or similar) and open the window when you need that connection.
  • Medium stealth; attach to the machine a 2.4GHz WiFi External Antenna with extension cable outside the occupants' residence.
  • No stealth; attach to the machine a 2.4GHz Outdoor 18dBi High Gain Directional Panel Antenna which is big and, everyone else in the campground will see it and, they want their own. With more users doing this it will possibly degrade the signal strength from the main router to the internet and, you would be back at square one!

Links:

SilverStone ECWA1 Wireless Mini PCIe Adapter

D-Link 2.4GHz Indoor 5dBi Gain Omni-Directional Antenna

2.4GHz WiFi External Antenna (eBay)

3 metre WiFi Antenna RP-SMA Extension Cable Cord (eBay)

D-Link 2.4GHz Outdoor 18dBi High Gain Directional Panel Antenna

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).