ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming - Random Black screen / lockups

Around Thanksgiving I built a new rig.  Bought new:  MB, RAM, CPU, Cooler, and then used some parts from my previous build.
Since building the system I have been having random black screen lockup and reboots.  The lockups are so strange....the system locks (black screen), but hitting the power button on the case does nothing.  I have to kill power to the machine either by killing the surge protector it is plugged into or unplugging the power cord from the PSU.  The machine will run fine for hours (usually 8 or more) before another lockup.  So, because of the complete lockups I am thinking hardware so I started swapping parts out to figure out what is the issue (below is a list of the parts swapped).

What I have tried:
Verified temps are hitting around 100 degrees F at max normally around 90F
I have ran memory tests overnight with no problem.  
Swapped out memory.  
Bought a new power supply (listed below).  
Swapped out the MB with another of the same model (swapped last week).

Still the machine randomly locks.  I have reloaded the OS from ground zero, twice.  Has anyone seen this before?  I am a Network Engineer and I have built systems in the past.  I would say I am not a complete idiot, but after this not even sure I can attest to that statement.  What am I missing?

System componenets:
Corsair Obsidian 700D
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming (Latest BIOS 12/17/2018)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
EVGA Supernova 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W
(2) EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming, 4GB GDDR5
CORSAIR HYDRO Series H115i PRO RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Drives
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB - boot 
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB - game storage mostly
WDC ED30EZRZ-00GXC80 - mass storage
ST1000DM003-9YN162 - archival storage - stuff I am moving to my server soon
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 - DVD drive

I didn't buy one it is a hold over from an old system.  I work in IT and sometimes I need to rip ISO images for software installation.

Just now, MonzaSed said:

I didn't buy one it is a hold over from an old system.  I work in IT and sometimes I need to rip ISO images for software installation.

oh ok

Bonzilink

• 1 month later...

Seeing the same problem here, machine spec is:

ASUS ROG Strix X470-F

ASUS Cerberus GeForce 1050TI 4GB
Samsung 970 evo 500GB SSD
Western Digital Gold 4 TB HD
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2666
Corsair HX850i 850W PSU
Corsair CC-9011117-WW Carbide Series Case

When it happens I have to turn off the PSU using the rocker switch on the back and then it's fine straight away.  The machine is set up to mine when it's idle and it's normally after a few hours of that, that the black screen occurs, for general usage it seems to be OK.

Temps seem to be fine even when under load, updating everything to the latest driver seems to reduce the occurrence of it, but it still happens (So I'm thinking it's some driver issue).

Shout if you find a solution.

• 4 weeks later...

Uhmm this is an old problem :) have the same board and used to have those problem, there was a thread about this a few weeks the board came out.

1.Set power to High performance
2. Use only Msi after burner &/or HWInfo as temp sensing aps, if you have other multiple temp sensing apps it'll cause random reboot &/or Black screen in my case its the NZXT CAM so i just set the fan to a locked speed and closed CAM and disabled auto open on start up
3.uninstall Ai suite by asus 

4.Update Bios

On 1/3/2019 at 7:48 AM, MonzaSed said:
On 1/3/2019 at 7:48 AM, MonzaSed said:

Around Thanksgiving I built a new rig.  Bought new:  MB, RAM, CPU, Cooler, and then used some parts from my previous build.
Since building the system I have been having random black screen lockup and reboots.  The lockups are so strange....the system locks (black screen), but hitting the power button on the case does nothing.  I have to kill power to the machine either by killing the surge protector it is plugged into or unplugging the power cord from the PSU.  The machine will run fine for hours (usually 8 or more) before another lockup.  So, because of the complete lockups I am thinking hardware so I started swapping parts out to figure out what is the issue (below is a list of the parts swapped).

What I have tried:
Verified temps are hitting around 100 degrees F at max normally around 90F
I have ran memory tests overnight with no problem.  
Swapped out memory.  
Bought a new power supply (listed below).  
Swapped out the MB with another of the same model (swapped last week).

Still the machine randomly locks.  I have reloaded the OS from ground zero, twice.  Has anyone seen this before?  I am a Network Engineer and I have built systems in the past.  I would say I am not a complete idiot, but after this not even sure I can attest to that statement.  What am I missing?

System componenets:
Corsair Obsidian 700D
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming (Latest BIOS 12/17/2018)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
EVGA Supernova 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W
(2) EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming, 4GB GDDR5
CORSAIR HYDRO Series H115i PRO RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Drives
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB - boot 
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB - game storage mostly
WDC ED30EZRZ-00GXC80 - mass storage
ST1000DM003-9YN162 - archival storage - stuff I am moving to my server soon
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 - DVD drive

Here i found it from an old thread

1.total black screen but PC still on yet you wont be able to restart using the power button
2.whole pc restarts out of nowhere

Experienced them myself and I thought I had a busted part.

Don't fret cos its happening also to the Rog Crosshair VII X470
those two are the really annoying stuff but there are solutions that the
community has found and actually works.

1.Turn off all CPU temp sensing apps that run at startup (leave just one you trust, I left my MSI afterburner to be the only one to start at boot)
2.Do not run multiple temp sensing apps at once. Take time on each of them and only use them when needing to edit something.
3.Avoid using the cpu temp feature in aura sync.

4.CAM (NZXT app software) <--- this, use it only for lighting options and nzxt fan (if you are using nzxt fans) and on your stuff that runs only on cam then close it afterwards.
5.AI Suite <--- this app is hell, causes a lot black magic hell on your pc, I personally uninstalled it along with the others in the community.

Asus said that its a bug between them and the windows 10 but they still aren't really showing signs to address these though.

been 3 weeks now since I did what the community suggested and all is fine now, I'm  leaving a link so you can read if you want.
 https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102858-Asus-Strix-X470-F-Gaming-owners-thread

on page 8 there's a video but I do suggest to skim through from the beginning.

@MonzaSed here's a reply from another dude that fixed this issue

"Right what has fixed it for me is removing ASUS AISuite and Corsair iCUE.  It would appear there is a BIOS bug that locks the machine if multiple programs access sensor data at the same time."