Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old Motherboard Increasing Value?!

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forums and figured what better way to start than posing a question:

Recently I was curious to see how the parts in my now 3 year old budget PC were holding up. At first, everything seemed normal for the price histories. My FX-6350 Vishera AMD processor was worth less, same for my DDR3 16 GB 1600 MHz GSkill RAM, 1 TB HDD, 120 GB SSD, and Chassis. My graphics card's price history was another story, but we all know about the price spasms of the crypto-currency surges, so I ignored that outright. My power supply stayed about the same, but that was also expected. What was NOT expected wad the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard I purchased for ~$90 is now being purchased for ~$400 new. Used is almost $210. 

I simply don't understand this jump. Looking at camelcamelcamel.com for price history, I saw the price spiked slightly after February 2017, right around the release of AMD's Ryzen series processors. However, this still makes little sense to me. My motherboard does not accommodate the AM4 socket, or DDR4 RAM for that matter, so why would its price shoot so high when it is not compatible with new technology? Am I missing something? Any reply would be great; I am curious to know why this happened.

I couldn't find a better place to post this than in General, so if there is a better place to post it please let me know!

Hope everyone's computers run as smoothly as they desire :)

-Darkroe

usually those new inflated prices are because the motherboard is end of life, and is no longer being produced. so just because it is no longer being produced the prices jump.

also, refurbished motherboards like yours are selling for about 150, and used is about 100. where are you finding these 210 prices?

I used camelcamelcamel.com for the 3rd party new and 3rd party used prices. I am new to price tracking, but saw amazon was selling new at $390 ish so I figured camelcamelcamel.com was on the right track. Is there a better set of websites to follow for this kind of info?

2 minutes ago, Darkroe said:

I used camelcamelcamel.com for the 3rd party new and 3rd party used prices. I am new to price tracking, but saw amazon was selling new at $390 ish so I figured camelcamelcamel.com was on the right track. Is there a better set of websites to follow for this kind of info?

Dont look at the price things are sold at, because of scammers. You see plenty of listings on amazon for Note 9's at 50000$, but that doesnt make that it's price. It is still a 900$ phone.

One way to counter this is to only look at the prices of units that actually sold. You can do it on ebay, but i dont know about amazon marketplace-

I only see your reply if you @ me.

Not worth anywhere near what you've quoted. If it's store stock, some stores inflate their values massively, hoping to cash in on those who are stupid enough to pay that to replace something that has died in their system, thinking it makes more sense than replacing the whole lot.

Your system is worth maybe a few hundred dollars.

Once AMD releases their next batch of hardware? You'd be lucky to see $200.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: AMD Radeon 6700XT 12GB PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Some sellers put listings up for various products but rather than deleting the listing, they'll simply raise the sell price substantially.

For example, a seller may have received a pallet of computers with that particular motherboard, and made a listing for this motherboard at a store and paid the listing price. Let's say he sold almost all his boards.

He knows he's going to receive 5-10 more pallets of used computers within 1-2 weeks and chances are some of those computers on those pallets will have the same motherboard model, so when he sold the last motherboard he actually had, rather than delete the listing, he'll mark up the price by a lot until he actually has the new pallets of computers in his warehouse and he can count the number of motherboards of same model.

This way, his listing remains online, it's scanned by search engines, it has views in the online store, people see the feedback he received from selling the original batch of motherboards, and the potential downside of having a ridiculous high price is extremely small..  and he doesn't have to pay a second time to list the new batch of motherboards, changing the price down is free or cheaper than making a new listing. 

If someone is stupid enough to order a board at that ridiculous price, he can go on eBay or somewhere and actually order a board at lower price and reship it to that buyer, or he can simply cancel the order of that buyer. No harm done.

So just because you see your board model at a high price, don't assume that's a valid seller and a valid listing, and always keep in mind that ONE listing doesn't mean a majority... if you see 10+ sellers selling your motherboard model at an inflated price, then you can safely say your motherboard is of that value.

It's because an+ is out of production, same thing with p965, p35, p45, x38, x48, x58, p55, p67, z68, z77, z87, and z97 boards. They are hoping your willing to overpay instead of replace the whole computer.

Ryzen 5 3600X

ASROCK B450 Steel Legend

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti 

32GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 3600

2TB WD Black NVME

ebay would be a better representative than an Etailer that runs an alogram which increases prices as stock goes down. and ofc we are talking used so why a retailer.

ATM i see two listed, one start $50 and sets at $51 (day and half left) the other started $40 and sits at $43. (three more days).

watching mobos (or whatever) will send an email when the item is close to ending w/the latest bid. watching several, more the better, will give you a better idea of its used market value at that time.