Does it NEED to run at 4K?

pstarlord

For RPG, open world games like Witcher III or Skyrim I like to play them in a more relaxed setting like, my living room.  My computer monitor is 144hz, 1080p, but I've got my 4K TV in my living room just kind of sitting there being neglected ever since I started gaming on my PC.  I know the input lag is one of the biggest down falls to most TVs, but for the games I'd want to play on it...it'll be fine.  So here's my questions.

1-Will using my TV make my GPU have to work that much harder to push a 4K signal into it, or will it be more like using an older console on it, like a PS3?  Obviously not a 4K system, but it has no problem being played on a 4K TV

2-Will the HDMI connection bottleneck the system?

I have a 1700X and a Vega 56 for my CPU and GPU. 

Because of your GPU, I'd honestly recommend just running at 1080p with a sharpening filter via reshade. 1080p scales fairly well on a 4k display so it shouldn't be much issue. Though if you have the horsepower to run native 4k, go for that instead.

In regards to the input lag, check to see if your TV has a PC or Game mode. Those modes usually eliminate most of the post processing that adds input lag. Also, no, HDMI should not bottleneck the system.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

First of all, if it's a 4k TV then its pretty recent, and most recent TVs have low input lag.

You just need to enable PC or game mode.

Second, 4k is a lot more intense than 1080p, but you can still run your game resolution at 1080 and it will be like playing on a 1080p monitor, just on a larger screen.

Third, I have no idea what you mean by "HDMI connection bottleneck the system"...

your display cable has nothing to do with your system performance.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

Third, I have no idea what you mean by "HDMI connection bottleneck the system"...

your display cable has nothing to do with your system performance.

HDMI 2.0 cannot support the same frame rates at 4k as Display Port.  Hence my concern about a bottleneck.

3 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

Because of your GPU, I'd honestly recommend just running at 1080p with a sharpening filter via reshade. 1080p scales fairly well on a 4k display so it shouldn't be much issue. Though if you have the horsepower to run native 4k, go for that instead.

In regards to the input lag, check to see if your TV has a PC or Game mode. Those modes usually eliminate most of the post processing that adds input lag. Also, no, HDMI should not bottleneck the system.

Thanks for the help!