Help me upgrade my AV Receiver for 4k

KaiAurora

Hi all,

I want to get a 4k TV but my AV Receiver doesn't support 4k passthrough with HDMI so I need to upgrade it. I want to keep the speakers I have and I am not sure what spec receiver I need to power the speakers.

The receiver is an STR-KS360S and the manual is attached, it has a specification page and I have also taken a capture of the page and attached it. If someone can provide some recommendations on what receiver to get that'd be great or what I need to look for!

Thanks!

4130031113.pdf

Capture.PNG

well for one thing for you to keep the speakers you will need a receiver that is able to power the sub (from what im reading about that set up the sub isnt self powered) ...........i will do some research to see what i can find

edit......hmmm after searching through all the pages on amazon the only receivers that are able to power a sub are the ones that comes with speakers. (kind of annoying) there has to be a way to buy the receiver without the speakers...or that would be the option to go..just get the setup that comes with speakers

example
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Home-Theater-System-HTP-074/dp/B01JOBIFP2/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546276723&sr=1-9&keywords=receivers&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A1267494011

or get any 4k receiver you want and just buy a separate powered subwoofer

example
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SW-E10-300-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00MQES9UQ/ref=sr_1_28?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546276832&sr=1-28&keywords=subwoofer

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

well for one thing for you to keep the speakers you will need a receiver that is able to power the sub (from what im reading about that set up the sub isnt self powered) ...........i will do some research to see what i can find

edit......hmmm after searching through all the pages on amazon the only receivers that are able to power a sub are the ones that comes with speakers. (kind of annoying) there has to be a way to buy the receiver without the speakers...or that would be the option to go..just get the setup that comes with speakers

example
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Home-Theater-System-HTP-074/dp/B01JOBIFP2/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546276723&sr=1-9&keywords=receivers&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A1267494011

or get any 4k receiver you want and just buy a separate powered subwoofer

example
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SW-E10-300-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00MQES9UQ/ref=sr_1_28?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546276832&sr=1-28&keywords=subwoofer

Ok interesting, didn't think about the sub. I am just trying to keep the cost down without having to get new speakers or a whole new setup. I am stuck with not being able to go 4k while keeping the same receiver. Another option is to just simply go to a sound bar.

well for a decent 4k 5.1 price starts at about 200 and goes up from there

(i bought this and it works very well, even with my own speakers i built) full 4k 60htz hdr i know its on the low end but it performs very good so no complaints

199 dollers
now sub wise you can go for a polk audio for 90 or go with a better name brand but prices go up from there just depends on how much bass and sound quality you want...unlike me who went with 2 12' subs

What's your budget?  I bought this one for about $350 CAD on Crutchfield and couldn't be happier.  It supports the latest HDMI standards and has plenty of power to drive a 5.1 system with 2 front towers.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

• 4 weeks later...

hmm you can check accessories4less.com they have some pretty good deals,as far as 4k and that sub you may need to get a separate amp and run the sub off that,just plug the amp in an aux output on the receiver.