Help me choose: y530 Vs omen 15t(2018)

Hi,

I am a college student looking for a laptop for daily use and gaming. I've narrowed down my list to Lenovo legion y530 and omen 15t (2018). Which one do you guys think will be the best of these two!

Omen :

CPU:i7 8750H

RAM:8 GB

GPU:1060 6 GB

DISPLAY:144HZ FHD IPS panel

BATTERY:70 WHr

Y530:

i5 8th gen

8 GB RAM

1060 6GB

144HZ FHD IPS panel

57 WHr

and cooler looking!

well the omen has a better cpu but if i5 does great I don't mind going with it!

need help ASAP!

2 hours ago, markr54632 said:

That's a tough call. Both of them are pretty solid choices.

But I need one ! XD

Spec wise I would choose the HP.

• GSync
  • Thunderbolt
  • Bigger battery
  • SD Card reader

But I would buy the Lenovo because

• Two ram sticks (2x 8gb) instead of one 16gb
  • 2 TB hdd (depends on the config I guess)
  • A bit lighter and smaller
  • looks much better

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

10 minutes ago, Max_99 said:

But I need one ! XD

Pick the one you like the looks of, keyboard, and screen better. Other than a few small features they are both going to be about on par with each other.

1 hour ago, crosstiger said:

Spec wise I would choose the HP.

• GSync
  • Thunderbolt
  • Bigger battery
  • SD Card reader

But I would buy the Lenovo because

• Two ram sticks (2x 8gb) instead of one 16gb
  • 2 TB hdd (depends on the config I guess)
  • A bit lighter and smaller
  • looks much better

Thanks!!..this was helpful!

But if I choose hp it would be for the battery

Do you have any idea about how long will each last on a single charge and mild usage ?

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

Pick the one you like the looks of, keyboard, and screen better. Other than a few small features they are both going to be about on par with each other.

True XD

1 hour ago, Max_99 said:

True XD

The hp has a larger battery. It also has gsync, which will eat up more battery. So battery life should even out between the two. 3-4 hours under light usage should be doable.

If it was my decision, I like the Lenovo better. I've had better end user experience with Lenovo than hp. Build quality is usually pretty consistent with lenovo. I like the keyboard better.

4 hours ago, markr54632 said:

The hp has a larger battery. It also has gsync, which will eat up more battery. So battery life should even out between the two. 3-4 hours under light usage should be doable.

If it was my decision, I like the Lenovo better. I've had better end user experience with Lenovo than hp. Build quality is usually pretty consistent with lenovo. I like the keyboard better.

Thanks..I've been also bent towards Lenovo I like the design and the keyboard but the only deal breaker for me was the battery..so thanks for clearing that out!

How about the heat in the two?...which one stays cooler under load?

They are both going to thermal throttle under load. Unfortunately everything in this category is going to do the same. Notebookreview forum has some detailed reviews on thermals for both.

In normal usage ( non gaming,web surfing and video playback ) how will be the battery life on both?.....some are saying omen is going as high as 7hrs... while the Lenovo isn't going more than 4 hrs.

53 minutes ago, Max_99 said:

In normal usage ( non gaming,web surfing and video playback ) how will be the battery life on both?.....some are saying omen is going as high as 7hrs... while the Lenovo isn't going more than 4 hrs.

On the exact same sub model? That's one thing I have always hated about HP's naming scheme. The omen 15 2018 covers all of the possible configs. You might do better with the base config i5, 1050, ssd only, and 60hz panel.

Any way you slice it for general use with a 1060 I wouldn't count on more than 4 hours on any model.

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

On the exact same sub model? That's one thing I have always hated about HP's naming scheme. The omen 15 2018 covers all of the possible configs. You might do better with the base config i5, 1050, ssd only, and 60hz panel.

Any way you slice it for general use with a 1060 I wouldn't count on more than 4 hours on any model.

So 4 hrs for the the exact config of omen..and what about the legion with the exact config?

Only limited to these 2 models?

Location? Budget? Usage? Any preference on weight and battery life?

I can list down a full comparison if you want (I've tried both before)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

51 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Only limited to these 2 models?

I can list down a full comparison if you want (I've tried both before)

Yeah I've searched a lot and don't wish to get confused anymore...so these two only XD..but if you think you have something better in mind for the same price point and kinda like a daily driver you could state it too....but I would love it if you help me choose and list down the comparison.

Thanks!!

12 hours ago, markr54632 said:

The hp has a larger battery. It also has gsync

Some models only has 52Wh battery and no GSYNC in 1060 model (depends on region)

2 hours ago, Max_99 said:

but I would love it if you help me choose and list down the comparison

If I were you, I'll go for Omen 15 dc. Even though it has slightly worse cooling than Legion Y530 (not saying that the cooling is bad), other aspects are slightly better than Y530.

There are some good TongFang models from CyberpowerPC and Eluktronics so do check them out. Also take a look at MSI GP63, GP73 and Asus GL703GM, GL504GM

You also haven't answer me:

3 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Some models only has 52Wh battery and no GSYNC in 1060 model (depends on region)

If I were you, I'll go for Omen 15 dc. Even though it has slightly worse cooling than Legion Y530 (not saying that the cooling is bad), other aspects are slightly better than Y530.

There are some good TongFang models from CyberpowerPC and Eluktronics so do check them out. Also take a look at MSI GP63, GP73 and Asus GL703GM, GL504GM

You also haven't answer me:

Budget is around 1100 usd....well the battery should be around 4 to 5 hrs normal usage..should be portable....and location would be USA Delaware region ...and my usage would be gaming and normal college stuff!

47 minutes ago, Max_99 said:

Budget is around 1100 usd....well the battery should be around 4 to 5 hrs normal usage..should be portable....and location would be USA Delaware region ...and my usage would be gaming and normal college stuff!

Just take a look a the options I've listed above

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

He did list the larger battery and 144hz panel in his original post. I guess I did kind of assume gsync though.

I'm kind of curious to hear your comparison between the two. I preferred the y530 personally. Not that the omen was bad by any means. 

5 hours ago, markr54632 said:

I'm kind of curious to hear your comparison between the two. I preferred the y530 personally. Not that the omen was bad by any means. 

Build quality: Omen 15 dc is sturdy while Legion Y530 has some weak points (not saying that it's bad)

Cooling: Legion Y530 is slightly better, especially GPU side

Input devices: Omen 15 dc is slightly better (the keyboard is great)

Battery life: Omen 15 dc has optional 70Wh battery

Display: About the same (144Hz LG), however Omen 15 dc has optional GSYNC

Audio: Legion Y530 is slightly better (only with older audio driver, new driver sucks)

Aesthetics (personal preference): Legion Y530 is much more subtle

Weight: Legion Y530 is lighter (Omen 15 dc with 52Wh battery is ~2.35kg)

Ports: About the same but Omen 15 dc has TB3 (1060 model)

Price: Legion Y530 is generally cheaper

I think that's all? Both are good models

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Iirc the tb3 is optional even on 1060 models on the omen isnt it?

9 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Iirc the tb3 is optional even on 1060 models on the omen isnt it?

For all 1060 models if I remembered correctly. 1050/1050TI only functions as regular USB C

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Max_99 said:

Thank you guys for the help...I've gone with the legion y530!!

Check whether if it has overheating issue or not. If yes, do undervolt and maybe repaste (~20C decrease in CPU temp)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler