MSI gtx 1080 hot

SmilesRising

Hi! My gtx 1080 is running extremely hot when gaming. 85*c surely this can't be normal? if i ramp up the gpu fans to 100% i get down to 80 but something must be wrong right?

Watches and computers                    

There are multiple factors that can increase your GPU temp higher than normal . IE if you are using a high Rez monitor or running the games over 3 monitors or at a higher refresh rate . Generally speaking a 1080 runs at roughly 70-80C but I noticed its an MSI card that you have . Is this there ARMOUR edition because I know that cooler is pants! 

TL;DR - Its fine running at 80 

2 minutes ago, Quagmaire said:

There are multiple factors that can increase your GPU temp higher than normal . IE if you are using a high Rez monitor or running the games over 3 monitors or at a higher refresh rate . Generally speaking a 1080 runs at roughly 70-80C but I noticed its an MSI card that you have . Is this there ARMOUR edition because I know that cooler is pants! 

TL;DR - Its fine running at 80 

The gpu is running all my 3 monitors but only 1 of them is for gaming which is a 1080p 144hz monitor. The card is a Gaming X and i feel like it should be able to run at lower temps..

Watches and computers                    

10 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

Hi! My gtx 1080 is running extremely hot when gaming. 85*c surely this can't be normal? if i ramp up the gpu fans to 100% i get down to 80 but something must be wrong right?

At stock settings?? Its okay because some MSI cards have bad coolers but just to be safe update drivers and software and see if you can set a custom fan profile to lower temps.

Just now, Tarun10 said:

At stock settings?? Its okay because some MSI cards have bad coolers but just to be safe update drivers and software and see if you can set a custom fan profile to lower temps.

stock settings, no OC at all. The fan curve didn't seem to matter since 100% only lowered it by a couple of degrees...

Watches and computers                    

Just now, smiles rising said:

stock settings, no OC at all. The fan curve didn't seem to matter since 100% only lowered it by a couple of degrees...

What is your case airflow like? There might not be enough cool air blowing around the system too. Try speeding up your case fans if you can

1 minute ago, Quagmaire said:

What is your case airflow like? There might not be enough cool air blowing around the system too. Try speeding up your case fans if you can

i have a h440 so there is 3 fans in the front, 1 at the back and then 3 on the top for my radiator

Watches and computers                    

2 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

i have a h440 so there is 3 fans in the front, 1 at the back and then 3 on the top for my radiator

I looked at your case online. And there is not much room for intake on the front panel. See if you have a newer BIOS for your GPU as well. How old is your GPU??

7 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

That case looks like it has no airflow at all from the front as all the vents are almost completely blocked so that would easily explain the high GPU temps.

The top is exhaust or intake? (not that it really matters for the GPU temps in this case).

Just remove the side panel and look at how much your GPU temps will drop.

4 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

If I were you , I would try the drivers , case fans and then try to run a benchmark with MSI afterburner open to try and spot for any trouble as you might be able to spot something .

Dont worry though as this temp isn’t too high so it shouldn’t cause any trouble . 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

That case looks like it has no airflow at all from the front as all the vents are almost completely blocked so that would easily explain the high GPU temps.

The top is exhaust or intake? (not that it really matters for the GPU temps in this case)

they're exhausts

Watches and computers                    

2 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

I looked at your case online. And there is not much room for intake on the front panel. See if you have a newer BIOS for your GPU as well. How old is your GPU??

roughly 2 years old, where do i find new bios?

Watches and computers                    

Just now, smiles rising said:

roughly 2 years old, where do i find new bios?

Type in your MB into google and on the manufactures website there should be a section with all the drivers for that motherboard. Just install it like you would do with any other program 

You should just run your fans at max RPM if you don't want high temperatures. You could also repaste your GPU to drop temps a but. Check for new drivers and BIOS on MSI website. If possible remove any mesh on the front intakes to increase airflow but this case is designed for silence and as long as temps don't cross 90 you should be fine.

The easiest test to determine if it is a gpu or case problem.

Remove the side panel, and then see how the temps are.

If the temps dropped then it is a case problem, if they stayed the same then gpu.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Flashed BIOS and it became 3-4 degrees cooler. removed the side panel and got down 2-3 degress more..

Watches and computers                    

Well sounds like the issue is solved. 

Could apply new paste. But aside from that, it’s prolly the worst thing in the market. So if you want it to last, best to keep it cool. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz