Best thermal compound you'd recommend?

TrinityHigh
Go to solution Solved by TrinityHigh,
18 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Until you get up to the liquid metal category, all the good ones are within 1-3C of each other. AS5 shows its age in two key ways: it has a burn-in time of up to 200 hours before it's fully effective, and it's ever so slightly capacitive if you spill some and it bridges current. It's still perfectly good, though, and if it's what you can get your hands on easily you're not missing anything.

I just picked up a tube of MX-4 because it's good, it's cheap, it takes years to even start to look like thermal cement, and you can literally paint your motherboard with it without having to worry about shorting anything out. Just avoid the cheap Chinese crap that comes in jars, bottles or syringes the size of a hot dog and costs $2.50 for six metric tonnes of paste and you're good.

Funny story about those: they are highly conductive and will fuck your shit up.

Looks like I will be going with MX-4 Thermal Paste! Thanks all who gave their input! Cheers and a happy new year!

What thermal compound would you guys and gals recommend? I've been using Arctic Silver 5 for years but I'm wondering if there is a better option to go for? 

Thanks

Cryonaut, conductonaut, pretty serious thermal paste by thermal grizzly

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

IC Diamond

IC diamond is good and I used to use it without proper coverage on my CPU, it's good to check mounting pressure because it's very viscous, doesn't spread out easily.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Why bother with thermal compound...
When you can use this
https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Graphite-Thermal-Pad/dp/B07CKVW18G

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

MX4

no fake marketing on w/mK

not overpriced

lasts

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Literally anything 

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Cryonaut, conductonaut, pretty serious thermal paste by thermal grizzly

conductonaut is amazing, but Kryonaut is pretty good too, especially if youre not comfortable with the liquid metal, one of the best non conductive thermal pastes i have used

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

3 hours ago, TrinityHigh said:

What thermal compound would you guys and gals recommend? I've been using Arctic Silver 5 for years but I'm wondering if there is a better option to go for? 

Until you get up to the liquid metal category, all the good ones are within 1-3C of each other. AS5 shows its age in two key ways: it has a burn-in time of up to 200 hours before it's fully effective, and it's ever so slightly capacitive if you spill some and it bridges current. It's still perfectly good, though, and if it's what you can get your hands on easily you're not missing anything.

I just picked up a tube of MX-4 because it's good, it's cheap, it takes years to even start to look like thermal cement, and you can literally paint your motherboard with it without having to worry about shorting anything out. Just avoid the cheap Chinese crap that comes in jars, bottles or syringes the size of a hot dog and costs $2.50 for six metric tonnes of paste and you're good.

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Why bother with thermal compound...
When you can use this
https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Graphite-Thermal-Pad/dp/B07CKVW18G

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

18 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Looks like I will be going with MX-4 Thermal Paste! Thanks all who gave their input! Cheers and a happy new year!