Cant boot from nvme with windows 10 previously installed on it.

Kwelliott89

Asus Prime z370P

Intel i7 8700

Samsung 970 evo 512gb

32gb team group ddr4 2400

I bought a new motherboard for a new setup but it was dead on arrival. In order to test it, I had pulled my nvme drive from my existing motherboard to try and boot from the new mobo. My nvme has latest windows 10, fair amount of programs, etc. Since the new mobo was dead, I needed to reinstall everything on my existing motherboard to have a computer while the replacement mobo ships.

I reinstalled everything in the same headers on my asus board. It posted fine, and when I got into the bios, the samsung nvme showed up in the boot priority, but when i try to boot from it, it tried to and then just goes back to bios screen.

Am I missing something? Do I have to wipe the drive and reinstall windows? I really dont want to do that since this setup is temporary. From various YouTube videos, I've seen tech tubers install loaded up drives onto fresh motherboards and boot right up.

You need to install windows on the system it is going to be running on.

Not on some other PC and then move the drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Changing the motherboard after an installation wont work generally, you can hit driver issues,

If you can still boot the drive on the OLD system it was installed on, then you could attempt to sysprep /generalize it, which strips it back to basic drivers.

This should allow you to swap the drive into a different machine (aslong as its not a completely different chipset / driver set (eg i wouldnt do it moving from an Intel machine to an AMD machine or vice versa)

However id personally just do a fresh install, it removes any doubt of weird conflicts from the old installation.

So even if I plug the drive back into the same header of the motherboard I installed windows on it from, I'll need to do a fresh install?