HDD's OS

ParianoShere

So,I am trying to save some money by reusing my old 1TB HDD on a new PC which contains files,games and the OS of course.

if I install my old HDD on a new PC would it still contain all the files,games and the OS,would it still keep them?

Yes, but upgrade to an SSD (1TB ones are quite expensive but 240GB-250GB ones are quite cheap. Look for a TOSHIBA TR200 or 860 EVO)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

3 minutes ago, ParianoShere said:

So,I am trying to save some money by reusing my old 1TB HDD on a new PC which contains files,games and the OS of course.

if I install my old HDD on a new PC would it still contain all the files,games and the OS,would it still keep them?

yes, it will keep safe. if u wanted to fast loading to open application I recommend to buy SSD

- AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor

- Asus Prime A320M-K ATX motherboard

- Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC Edition

- Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Ram

- Corsair VS 550 power supply

- Kingston A400 240GB SSD

- 1TB WD BLUE HDD Hard Disk & Samsung 320GB HDD(7200RPM)

- CPU COOLER: Stock Cooler(AMD)

Yes the HDD will retain all the data, although you might want to consider reinstalling the OS if it's a new build also if you had a pre-built system the Windows copy would have most likely been an OEM version and after pairing that drive with a new motherboard it'll likely show that your copy of Windows requires activation and you'll need a new Windows key to get that message to go away.

Highly recomnend getting yourself a 20$ 120GB SSD. Such a big stepup from a harddrive.

Use your old HDD for mass storage and OS on the SSD.

And the files on your old HDD will be kept btw.

One SSD for the OS and one HDD just for storing data seems to be the way, we all do the same...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming