Pc overheated

a2c221a4690b08c24508026ace85a9dc.png

As you can see, my cpu is extremely hot, i've confirmed the temp is BIOS as well.

I noticed a few days ago my computer couldnt handle my games very well (pubg, csgo, fortnite) as in dropping frames, average fps is significantly lower than usual, long loading screens or the game not rendering at all.

So I downloaded core temp and saw my computer is very hot and im not sure what the problem is, cleaned out the whole computer for dust, checked all my fans, cleaned the heatsink and since I couldnt get any thermal paste I read somewhere you could use toothpaste which I did, and it sort of worked because the temp was only at approx. 75 degrees at boot and my usual games worked fine for about 10 minutes, but later on when I tried to start up some games the same problems started happening.

atm im checking for viruses, but could the problem simply be that my cpu is old or theres some sort of malfunction? Or should I try to get some actual thermal paste?

This is probably a hard read but I'm so fustrated right now lol, thanks for any replies :)

the problem is the toothpaste.

toothpaste dries up after a while, and loses it's thermal conductivity. basically, you need actual thermal paste.

3 minutes ago, Fortniteboy69 said:

a2c221a4690b08c24508026ace85a9dc.png

As you can see, my cpu is extremely hot, i've confirmed the temp is BIOS as well.

I noticed a few days ago my computer couldnt handle my games very well (pubg, csgo, fortnite) as in dropping frames, average fps is significantly lower than usual, long loading screens or the game not rendering at all.

So I downloaded core temp and saw my computer is very hot and im not sure what the problem is, cleaned out the whole computer for dust, checked all my fans, cleaned the heatsink and since I couldnt get any thermal paste I read somewhere you could use toothpaste which I did, and it sort of worked because the temp was only at approx. 75 degrees at boot and my usual games worked fine for about 10 minutes, but later on when I tried to start up some games the same problems started happening.

atm im checking for viruses, but could the problem simply be that my cpu is old or theres some sort of malfunction? Or should I try to get some actual thermal paste?

This is probably a hard read but I'm so fustrated right now lol, thanks for any replies :)

shit!you even put toothpaste on CPU? NOT RECOMMEND! Absolutely NOT! Please buy Thermal paste and watch youtube videos for tutorial in order to be safety.

- AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor

- Asus Prime A320M-K ATX motherboard

- Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC Edition

- Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Ram

- Corsair VS 550 power supply

- Kingston A400 240GB SSD

- 1TB WD BLUE HDD Hard Disk & Samsung 320GB HDD(7200RPM)

- CPU COOLER: Stock Cooler(AMD)

Get thermal paste, running your CPU for sub 100C temperatures for several days is very unhealthy. (in fact, it's 'How to fry your CPU 101')

Shouldn't your cooler come with thermal paste?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

You did not really use toothpaste did you? You're trolling?

I hope he didn't use it! ?

4 minutes ago, Fortniteboy69 said:

the temp was only at approx. 75 degrees at boot and my usual games worked fine for about 10 minutes, but later on when I tried to start up some games the same problems started happening.

75 is still way too hot. The CPU should idle in the 30s or at worst the low 40s. Load temps should remain under 80 on that chip even in the worst case scenario. 

Time to buy thermal paste, and stop using your PC for games until you've done so.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

damn that was some fast replies, but yes I actually used toothpaste since I read somewhere that a guy used tooth paste as a replacement for a couple of weeks untill he got a new rig

Just now, Fortniteboy69 said:

damn that was some fast replies, but yes I actually used toothpaste since I read somewhere that a guy used to as a replacement for a couple of weeks untill he got a new rig

Get thermal paste jesus christ it should be like 5$

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

damn that was some fast replies, but yes I actually used toothpaste since I read somewhere that a guy used to as a replacement for a couple of weeks untill he got a new rig

LoL, It's not good. Please buy thermal paste in order to put down temperature. 

I'll turn off my pc and buy it ASAP, also is rubbing alcohol with 70% alcohol good enough to wash away thermal paste/tooth paste?

also, should I be worried that my components are damaged due to overheat? if so, is there a way to check?

1 minute ago, Fortniteboy69 said:

I'll turn off my pc and buy it ASAP, also is rubbing alcohol with 70% alcohol good enough to wash away thermal paste/tooth paste?

not need. just wash only dry paper(Toilet paper). and put thermal paste it thoroughly 

also, should I be worried that my components are damaged due to overheat? if so, is there a way to check?

No, its only CPU Are overheating.not other parts are needed to check.

ok thank you guys so much for the fast replies, highly appreciated, i'll give word if it does not work :)

5 minutes ago, Fortniteboy69 said:

I would try to get 91%, 70% has a lot of water on it and wont dry up as quickly

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

2 minutes ago, Fortniteboy69 said:

ok thank you guys so much for the fast replies, highly appreciated, i'll give word if it does not work :)

gladly we helped to you.

Changed to normal thermal paste as well as swapping out my radiator since I suspected it was too old/broken, and now my cpu is at low 50s so that solves the problem, thanks everyone :)

9 minutes ago, Fortniteboy69 said:

Changed to normal thermal paste as well as swapping out my radiator since I suspected it was too old/broken, and now my cpu is at low 50s so that solves the problem, thanks everyone :)

?

54 minutes ago, Fortniteboy69 said:

You had an AIO? Then there you had your problem. The AIO has given up the ghost, probably broken pump or to much liquid had evaporated over the years so that couldn't cool your system anymore.

And regarding the tooth paste it's better than nothing so you did nothing wrong. It's not a long term solution but you already knew that ?