i7 4770 vs 4770k - Is is worth overclocking?

I will be building a new pc and definitely getting an i7. I opted for the 4770k as it has hyperthreading. (I will be doing lots of editing work). I was looking on Scan and saw the 4770 which was cheaper. Is overclocking really worth it, especially for editing?

Thanks

Blueprint

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

If you overclock to higher end like 4.0 and up yes its worth it if you are willing to spend the extra on cpu cooling.

4770/3770 usually can get to 4.2, and if u lucky it can go to 4.4,

while the "K" will go to 4.6 on good setup, 5.0 sometime..

If you know how to overclock, it can be worth it. If you don't, the i7-4770 actually has more features than the k.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

More performance is always more better.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

the are some technologies on the 4770 non k that might be a value to you, that the k version dosent have like 

1. Intel® vPro™ Technology ; a set of security and manageability capabilities built into the processor aimed at addressing four critical areas of IT security: 1) Threat management, including protection from rootkits, viruses, and malware 2) Identity and web site access point protection 3) Confidential personal and business data protection 4) Remote and local monitoring, remediation, and repair of PCs and workstations.

2.Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) : virtualization adding new support for I/O-device virtualization. Intel VT-d can help end users improve security and reliability of the systems and also improve performance of I/O devices in virtualized environments.

3.Intel® Transactional Synchronization Extensions New Instructions : a set of instructions focused on multi-threaded performance scaling.  This technology helps make parallel operations more efficient via improved control of locks in software.

4.Intel® Trusted Execution Technology : safer computing is a versatile set of hardware extensions to Intel® processors and chipsets that enhance the digital office platform with security capabilities such as measured launch and protected execution. It enables an environment where applications can run within their own space, protected from all other software on the system.

source:http://ark.intel.com/products/75122/Intel-Core-i7-4770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

right now you probably don't need to overclock because the processor is really fast but its always good to have the option to overclock down the track when you want to squeeze a bit more out of the cpu. 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

When rendering clocks normally scale well, a 25% oc should make your rendering 25% quicker.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

It depends on how much power you really need/how heavy the content you're working on is.

Going from a 4770k + z87 + cooler to a e3-1230 v3 + any 1150 mobo can save quite a chunk of money that can go towards upgrades.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.