Patchbox

An add on my Facebook feed featured this patch "thing".

I used the search function on the forum, and it has not been talked about - yet.

Anyone who have tried it out? They had av video dating back to 2015 on YT, so its not a new item.

Their shop in link below. They had 35cm and 60cm versions.

https://patchbox.com/shop

Those look pretty neat until I saw the "login to see pricing"... no thanks, I'll stick to terminating my own cables for a few pennies.

-KuJoe

I've seen one in use before - never actually used one myself. I could see why people would find it useful but I don't believe it's worth the money (~£450-£500) unless you're in a situation where money really is no object (big enterprise).

In my opinion, it just promotes laziness.

1 minute ago, Admiral Koba said:

~£450-£500

Wait what? Per box? So that's per cabinet? No thank you.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Wait what? Per box? So that's per cabinet? No thank you.

24 ports in 1 cab... it's sky high unless you hate money.

5 minutes ago, Admiral Koba said:

24 ports in 1 cab... it's sky high unless you hate money.

OMG! I didn't even think of that! Only 24 ports in a 42U cabinet... not only can I not have NIC teaming I'd need a wireless card for a good number of devices*.

*It's a joke, I don't have a wireless network in any of my data centers.

-KuJoe

7 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

OMG! I didn't even think of that! Only 24 ports in a 42U cabinet... not only can I not have NIC teaming I'd need a wireless card for a good number of devices*.

*It's a joke, I don't have a wireless network in any of my data centers.

Genuinely - if you had enough devices warranting this and you were using NIC teaming - you'd be wanting a couple of them. I honestly can't see the business case for having these after some back of the envelope calculations.

Maybe you can use the chassis as an antenna to form your wireless network ?

On the demo video, the cables look flatt.

Are the cables 2-pair cables?

Copy&pasted from technical information:

Cat. 6 STP (shielded), 250MHz, AWG36, 100% stranded copper, PVC jacket, 10Gbit ready

5 minutes ago, Admiral Koba said:

Genuinely - if you had enough devices warranting this and you were using NIC teaming - you'd be wanting a couple of them. I honestly can't see the business case for having these after some back of the envelope calculations.

Maybe you can use the chassis as an antenna to form your wireless network ?

For the cost of one of those boxes I could get a few spools of CAT6 cable, hundreds of RJ45 connectors, new crimpers, AND hire somebody off Craigslist to do the work for a bunch of cabinets while still having money left over for a bunch of shiny new UniFi APs for all the wireless I won't need. :D

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, Not Eligible For Stars said:

On the demo video, the cables look flatt.

Are the cables 2-pair cables?

Copy&pasted from technical information:

Cat. 6 STP (shielded), 250MHz, AWG36, 100% stranded copper, PVC jacket, 10Gbit ready

The cables are flat, flat patch cables aren't the rarest thing in the world. They seem just like standard STP (shielded twisted pair) cables to me. (most CAT6 is 32 AWG however - so wire is a little thicker)

This looks terrible. 

Sure its nice for a test rack but the cost and pointless quick disconnect for a rack make this thing a no go for me. Ill stick to cutting and managing my own cables. 

2 hours ago, Admiral Koba said:

most CAT6 is 32 AWG however - so wire is a little thicker

Thats proper CAT6 because the separator in the middle. 

Companies get away with these flat cables because in real world use 10gig can be used over CAT 5e up to like 30m. Flat CAT 6 wont make it the full 100m without interference beginning to creep in. But again, in the real world people rarely if ever run 100m of copper. Its just enough in spec to be considered CAT 6

it get the 8X faster balblabla. How much time do you people spend plugging and unplugging cables in a year? I mean the first time you do this yeah a lot but then you may spend 10 minutes a year touching that thing. Who cares?.

Beauty? sure. But how much of that beauty will be shaved when we see the price haha.