Logitech Prodigy G233 - Why does the mic work but only if I plug it into my PC?

BristolBrick

I have a Logitech G233, and the microphone does not work. It is recognised by windows and other programs, but it doesn't record any noise. If I plug it directly into the computer instead of plugging it into the headset which is plugged into the computer, (all 3.5mm jacks, I'm using the PC splitter) then it works. I've read the set-up guide provided in the box and done that, I've tried both positions of the mic switch on the cable. Running Windows 7 64bit, but since the headphones block the signal I don't think that matters.

So it works when plugged directly into the computer but not when it is plugged into the headphones which are in turn plugged into the computer via splitter. I presume the splitter takes a 3.5mm 4 pole (from the headphones) and converts it to two 3.5 mm jacks one for the mic and for the audio out.

I think it should be a defective splitter unit, do you have any other headsets you could try this with even cheap stuff you get for free with your phone?? This will confirm a defective splitter otherwise it could be the Mic Input jack on the headset itself.

1 hour ago, Tarun10 said:

So it works when plugged directly into the computer but not when it is plugged into the headphones which are in turn plugged into the computer via splitter. I presume the splitter takes a 3.5mm 4 pole (from the headphones) and converts it to two 3.5 mm jacks one for the mic and for the audio out.

I think it should be a defective splitter unit, do you have any other headsets you could try this with even cheap stuff you get for free with your phone?? This will confirm a defective splitter otherwise it could be the Mic Input jack on the headset itself.

Thanks, I can't try this now, but what you say makes sense and I will try it when I can. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Hey did this ever get fixed? If yes, how? My friend's got the same issue

On 12/26/2018 at 7:46 AM, BristolBrick said:

I have a Logitech G233, and the microphone does not work. It is recognised by windows and other programs, but it doesn't record any noise. If I plug it directly into the computer instead of plugging it into the headset which is plugged into the computer, (all 3.5mm jacks, I'm using the PC splitter) then it works. I've read the set-up guide provided in the box and done that, I've tried both positions of the mic switch on the cable. Running Windows 7 64bit, but since the headphones block the signal I don't think that matters.

The headset most likely is using a 3 pople cable, not 4 pole, it works when you plug it into the p as the pc has two 3 pole cables, so the headset can use one (1 pole for ground, 1 for L channel, 1 for R channel) and the mic can use the other 3 pole cable. For 2 channels of audio (not balanced, just single-ended) and a microphone, you need a 4 pole cable and a 4 pole connector/jack on the PC

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Derkoli said:

The headset most likely is using a 3 pople cable, not 4 pole, it works when you plug it into the p as the pc has two 3 pole cables, so the headset can use one (1 pole for ground, 1 for L channel, 1 for R channel) and the mic can use the other 3 pole cable. For 2 channels of audio (not balanced, just single-ended) and a microphone, you need a 4 pole cable and a 4 pole connector/jack on the PC

The headset has 4 poles and the splitter splits to 2 poles each. 2 for the mic and 2 for the headset. I can also not get the mic to work properly. Should I get another splitter?

46 minutes ago, JasonScorpio said:

The headset has 4 poles and the splitter splits to 2 poles each. 2 for the mic and 2 for the headset. I can also not get the mic to work properly. Should I get another splitter?

You need one of these (or something similar): https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Headphone-Microphone-Headphones-connector-Black/dp/B073ZDDTH2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3MVY2SSUWFJ8J&keywords=mic+and+headphone+splitter&qid=1562255183&s=gateway&sprefix=mic+and+headphone%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-5

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)