Can't install any drivers or Geforce Experience

ShaunH

As title says - I had geforce experience - tried to update and it failed - followed the tips it gave to cancel all nvidia processes and go into regedit and retry - did that and failed. Thought - okay ill uninstall geforce experience - didnt work. so then I uninstalled my nvidia drivers - still didn't work. So now I'm stuck with onboard graphics without a graphics driver..need some help with that ASAP! 

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 oc'd 3.7ghz

GeForce 1070ti Asus ROG STRIX 8GB

16gb ram 2400mhz (havent gotten around to new ram for the ryzen)

SSD 500gb

HDD 1TB.

Two Monitors - LG24GM79G - 144hz(connected with DP) and LCD1770NX - 60hz(really old monitor - connected with vga to dvi-d)

I've noticed this in device manager - https://gyazo.com/c3b164f50933ee2360eff2f1f19b3a4b. The unknown device is NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device that fails to update. The other - is just because I uninstalled the nvidia driver and it won't reinstall.

Only thing I can think of is reinstalling windows to fix it - but I really don't want to.

Thanks in advance.

Try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to uninstall the nvidia drivers. I've got a feeling that the nvidia drivers were corrupted and when you uninstalled them some of that corrupted installation got left behind.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to uninstall the nvidia drivers. I've got a feeling that your drivers were corrupted and when you uninstalled them some of that corrupted installation got left behind.

Never used it before - or heard of it tbh - there a certain way to use this? Guessing its the first thing that came up in search on guru3d

Just now, ShaunH said:

Never used it before - or heard of it tbh - there a certain way to use this? Guessing its the first thing that came up in search on guru3d

There are instructional videos on YouTube that'll show you how to use it, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxiLwLCxmkk

16 minutes ago, 1kv said:

There are instructional videos on YouTube that'll show you how to use it, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxiLwLCxmkk

So - back from using DDU - ran it in safe mode - with my internet unplugged to stop windows forcing updates - didn't work. Only thing it did was give me basic windows display - everything is removed - tried to reinstall and it still failed. Also tried to install my audio drivers and it says it has an error - so its not just limited to NVIDIA products. Anything else to try?

24 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

So - back from using DDU - ran it in safe mode - with my internet unplugged to stop windows forcing updates - didn't work. Only thing it did was give me basic windows display - everything is removed - tried to reinstall and it still failed. Also tried to install my audio drivers and it says it has an error - so its not just limited to NVIDIA products. Anything else to try?

That's strange. I don't know what else to do, although @Crunchy Dragon probably knows more about GPUs than I do.

Just now, 1kv said:

That's strange. I don't know what else to do, although @Crunchy Dragon probably knows more about GPUs than I do.

No problem - in the process of backing up my pc to reinstall windows - shall take a while so shall give some time for Crunchy to reply if he does that is.

27 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

No problem - in the process of backing up my pc to reinstall windows - shall take a while so shall give some time for Crunchy to reply if he does that is.

I can't 100% guarantee Crunchy will be able to help but I'm sure he knows more about GPUs than I do.

22 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I can't 100% guarantee Crunchy will be able to help but I'm sure he knows more about GPUs than I do.

No worries - thanks for trying to help anyway. I just can't think of what is wrong - unless theres a virus, or something corrupt on my C drive. Wiping my SSD should fix it - though seems a bit overkill..though guess its a sure way to fix it.

20 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

No worries - thanks for trying to help anyway. I just can't think of what is wrong - unless theres a virus, or something corrupt on my C drive. Wiping my SSD should fix it - though seems a bit overkill..though guess its a sure way to fix it.

That is a pretty surefire way, yes. Before we go that extent, have you tried installing an older driver?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

21 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That is a pretty surefire way, yes. Before we go that extent, have you tried installing an older driver?

I did try installing an old driver yeah - my driver version was 417.22 and I was trying to install the most recent one - 417.35. When I was unable to install or update any drivers even after removing geforce experience and my gpu driver - I tried to install 417.01 and 416.94. Still got the immediate error of installing drivers. I have reinstalled windows - and lost nothing as I backed it all up - but if you're willing to give some insight on how to fix this in the future on what I've not already done - I will be grateful. It's happened before - but it fixed itself after a restart - this had been happening for a while though so came on here to ask for help. 

1 minute ago, ShaunH said:

I did try installing an old driver yeah - my driver version was 417.22 and I was trying to install the most recent one - 417.35. When I was unable to install or update any drivers even after removing geforce experience and my gpu driver - I tried to install 417.01 and 416.94. Still got the immediate error of installing drivers. I have reinstalled windows - and lost nothing as I backed it all up - but if you're willing to give some insight on how to fix this in the future on what I've not already done - I will be grateful. It's happened before - but it fixed itself after a restart - this had been happening for a while though so came on here to ask for help. 

I'm honestly not sure what the problem would be. DDU should get rid of everything related to the driver, basically wiping it and every trace of it from your system.

What about if you run DDU again, and install another GPU(assuming you have one on hand)?

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 12:44 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm honestly not sure what the problem would be. DDU should get rid of everything related to the driver, basically wiping it and every trace of it from your system.

What about if you run DDU again, and install another GPU(assuming you have one on hand)?

tad bit late on the reply here - to answer your question. I am unable to run DDU now - as I have it working - though I could've tried that at the time. I have a spare MSI R9 380 4gb card that was my gpu before I got the 1070 ti. Though it might've differed as its amd and nvidia. 

1 minute ago, ShaunH said:

tad bit late on the reply here - to answer your question. I am unable to run DDU now - as I have it working - though I could've tried that at the time. I have a spare MSI R9 380 4gb card that was my gpu before I got the 1070 ti. Though it might've differed as its amd and nvidia. 

What's stopping you from running DDU?

Does the R9 380 work in your system?

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

What's stopping you from running DDU?

Does the R9 380 work in your system?

I could run it..but I have the system working now. I reinstalled windows clearing my ssd and it fixed my problem of not being to install any drivers. So I am not wanting to run DDU when I have no problems. That would just mean I would have to reinstall my drivers. 

The R9 380 - does indeed work in this system. Though I am not planning on putting it in my system anytime soon.

6 minutes ago, ShaunH said:

I could run it..but I have the system working now. I reinstalled windows clearing my ssd and it fixed my problem of not being to install any drivers. So I am not wanting to run DDU when I have no problems. That would just mean I would have to reinstall my drivers. 

The R9 380 - does indeed work in this system. Though I am not planning on putting it in my system anytime soon.

Ah ok, that makes sense.