Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Call for advice - Planning a major overhaul on the good ol' rig

Giocol
 Share

As my poor i5-2500k keeps asking to be retired, and with some extra income coming near the holidays, I finally decided to give a big update to my PC, and I thought that I could get some feedback on my choices and some tips  here on the forum!

 

What do I need this rig for:

  • It will be dual booting some flavour of GNU/Linux (arch, if I don't randomly change distro in the next few weeks, which is not that certain) and Windows (at least until gaming on Linux finishes to catch up)
  • 1080p 60Hz gaming, from indy stuff to AAA titles
  • Coding, virtualization, unit testing, container hosting and other fun stuff. I'm majoring in Computer Engineering, and lately I've been feeling the need of those sweet extra cores that the Ryzen 2700x can give me
  • Photo editing and light video editing (mainly 1080p)
  • Some 2D and 3D rendering, mainly using game engines like Godot and UnrealEngine

 

Hardware that I'm going to keep from the old rig:

  • ASUS STRIX GTX970: I know, it's not that new, but I only game at 1080p, and it still holds up pretty well. I could consider changing to a 1060/1070ti, but I'm not super sold on that
  • EVGA 600W 80+ GOLD PSU: I don't have a lot to say on this, it's just a solid, reliable PSU
  • 4TB (2xTB) WD Black HDD: almost brand new, they are more than enough for long-time storage (planning on putting them in a RAID 1)
  • 250GB SanDisk SSD: really hold drive, it still holds up pretty well. It will probably become my Star Citizen drive (don't hate me too much for that, please) or go in a small media server
  • Dual 1080p monitors, mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse
 
New Hardware: (prices in euros from italian Amazon)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $320.15
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard $138.60
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $138.99
Storage Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $87.18
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $95.47
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $780.39
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-24 12:25 EST-0500  
 
 
I want to thank in advance anyone that will waste a tad bit of his time to give me some tips/share some thoughts on this config :3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

For Ryzen it's really recommend (though not actually essential) you get Samsung B Die ram.

 

See this Reddit page for more information -

 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would consider more than 16 GB of RAM for virtualization and such. Granted, if your doing this under linux you can likely keep resource loads pretty low, but depending on how many VM's you want to spin up and how hungry they each are, more RAM is never a bad option.

Rig: i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 4.8 Ring - - Z490 Vision G - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz 15-17-17-34 @ 3500MHz 16-19-19-38 - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

 

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

 

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 64 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - 10TB WD Red for expendable data - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

 

iPhone Xs - 2018 MacBook Air

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Giocol said:

As my poor i5-2500k keeps asking to be retired, and with some extra income coming near the holidays, I finally decided to give a big update to my PC, and I thought that I could get some feedback on my choices and some tips  here on the forum!

 

What do I need this rig for:

  • It will be dual booting some flavour of GNU/Linux (arch, if I don't randomly change distro in the next few weeks, which is not that certain) and Windows (at least until gaming on Linux finishes to catch up)
  • 1080p 60Hz gaming, from indy stuff to AAA titles
  • Coding, virtualization, unit testing, container hosting and other fun stuff. I'm majoring in Computer Engineering, and lately I've been feeling the need of those sweet extra cores that the Ryzen 2700x can give me
  • Photo editing and light video editing (mainly 1080p)
  • Some 2D and 3D rendering, mainly using game engines like Godot and UnrealEngine

 

Hardware that I'm going to keep from the old rig:

  • ASUS STRIX GTX970: I know, it's not that new, but I only game at 1080p, and it still holds up pretty well. I could consider changing to a 1060/1070ti, but I'm not super sold on that
  • EVGA 600W 80+ GOLD PSU: I don't have a lot to say on this, it's just a solid, reliable PSU
  • 4TB (2xTB) WD Black HDD: almost brand new, they are more than enough for long-time storage (planning on putting them in a RAID 1)
  • 250GB SanDisk SSD: really hold drive, it still holds up pretty well. It will probably become my Star Citizen drive (don't hate me too much for that, please) or go in a small media server
  • Dual 1080p monitors, mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse
 
New Hardware: (prices in euros from italian Amazon)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $320.15
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard $138.60
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $138.99
Storage Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $87.18
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $95.47
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $780.39
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-24 12:25 EST-0500  
 
 
I want to thank in advance anyone that will waste a tad bit of his time to give me some tips/share some thoughts on this config :3

if you are only gaming at 1080p you could go with a 2600x just to save you a bit of money. I personally do not like gigabyte, they are sometimes unreliable and have read some bad reviews regarding some of their motherboards. I think the asus rog strix b450-f would be much better, especially paired with the 2600x. Since you would be saving money on that i would sell your gpu and combine your money to get a newer gpu or I would spend and extra $20 and get a 3200 ddr4 ram.

 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wbn3kd
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wbn3kd/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($207.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($130.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($87.18)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.47)
Total: $650.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-24 15:51 EST-0500

 

I have a meshify C myself i am building a Ryzen with and i absolutely love the meshify C

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2018 at 6:46 PM, Master Disaster said:

Thanks! I'll read the post, and I'll probably follow your advice!

On 12/24/2018 at 7:02 PM, LIGISTX said:

I would consider more than 16 GB of RAM for virtualization and such. Granted, if your doing this under linux you can likely keep resource loads pretty low, but depending on how many VM's you want to spin up and how hungry they each are, more RAM is never a bad option.

I see your point, but I think that 16 GBs will be enough. If the situation demands it, I can always try to distribute the workload on a server (since I don't think I'll need THAT many VMs for more than a few hours at a time)

On 12/24/2018 at 9:35 PM, PurplDrank said:

if you are only gaming at 1080p you could go with a 2600x just to save you a bit of money. I personally do not like gigabyte, they are sometimes unreliable and have read some bad reviews regarding some of their motherboards. I think the asus rog strix b450-f would be much better, especially paired with the 2600x. Since you would be saving money on that i would sell your gpu and combine your money to get a newer gpu or I would spend and extra $20 and get a 3200 ddr4 ram.

 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wbn3kd
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wbn3kd/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($207.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($130.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($87.18)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.47)
Total: $650.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-24 15:51 EST-0500

 

I have a meshify C myself i am building a Ryzen with and i absolutely love the meshify C

You have a solid point, but I'm still not sold on giving up on those two cores, but I'll surely think about it. The MOBO you suggested seems way better than the one I picked though, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Giocol said:

Thanks! I'll read the post, and I'll probably follow your advice!

I see your point, but I think that 16 GBs will be enough. If the situation demands it, I can always try to distribute the workload on a server (since I don't think I'll need THAT many VMs for more than a few hours at a time)

You have a solid point, but I'm still not sold on giving up on those two cores, but I'll surely think about it. The MOBO you suggested seems way better than the one I picked though, thanks!

Actually the MSI b450 tomahawk is way better than the strix b450 and a bit cheaper. Tomahawk has solid reviews everywhere online. The tomahawk is even sold out in some locations. 

 

Most games don’t need that many cores. If you want to stream or have some major production multitasking plans for your pc then go with your original post.  

 

Also so keep in mind you could go with a 2600 (non x version) and invest that money in a x470. The new ryzen 3000 coming out should be compatible with x470, most likely with a bios update. So you could get a cheaper cpu and better motherboard like the x470 for now. 

 

Or holdout all together. January 8th to the 11th at CES 2019 AMD is announcing the Ryzen 3000

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×