Kingston Shows off 384GB of DDR4 RAM. [CES]

joelthezombie15

At CES kingston showed off 384GB of DDR4 Ram in there super secret intel server.

In order to recieve clearance for this demo, Kingston had to black out key areas of the chassis, which means essentially everything other than the heat sinks and DDR4 sticks. We speculate this is Grantley-EP and Wellsburg PCH. If so, the server supports Thunderbolt and features DDR4 speeds of 2400 and 3200MHz. However, these specs are pure conjecture.

Could this mean super high amounts of ram and break neck speeds?!? We will have to wait and find out

Sauce: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34788/kingston-displays-384gb-of-ddr4-in-top-secret-intel-server-at-ces/index.html

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

If using Windows 7 Ultimate (or Enterprise?) it caps @ 192 GB, the other half (another 192) would be useless, and consumer motherboards don't take that much yet, still that's like 1% (or less) of the entire 64 bit that can be used.

If using Windows 7 Ultimate (or Enterprise?) it caps @ 192 GB, the other half (another 192) would be useless, and consumer motherboards don't take that much yet, still that's like 1% (or less) of the entire 64 bit that can be used.

It was in a server. Not a consumer grade PC that would run Windows 7.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

It said that it is a server and it is intels secret stuff so new MB and chipset and server OS

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

windows 8 versions allow 512gb just not the standard win 8 which only allows 192

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

It was in a server. Not a consumer grade PC that would run Windows 7.

windows 8 versions allow 512gb just not the standard win 8 which only allows 192

Enterprise server OSes like Windows Server 2012 goes into the multi-Terabyte range for memory limitations.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#memory_limits

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

what's the point of 384 gb of ram? Even for a server. 

Servers hosting VMs can use huge amounts of memory. We have one at work using about 120 GB of memory, and it's an old machine that we're upgrading soon. But websites that drive lots of traffic need lots of RAM to service all the users.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

This is really exciting for enterprise server companies, much less so for us.

This is really exciting for enterprise server companies, much less so for us.

idk, gamers use servers. For there games. better game servers mean better games "in a way"

Just imagine how much Apple's going to charge their users. 48x the ram of last generation, only $20k (verses the $1k current generation, that's only a 20x increase (good deal)!)

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

idk, gamers use servers. For there games. better game servers mean better games "in a way"

True, that. As long as the network backbone is large enough and there are enough CPU/Storage resources available to handle additional players.

this isn't made for windows. No one in their right mind will put 384gbs of ram, even if they could, for a windows server. Linux is where its as for something like this. 

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

This is the height of, JUST BECAUSE I FUCKING CAN.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1