BR Receiver vs DVD Receiver >> PC gaming

Kangaroo Factory

I'm currently running a 4.1 bookshelf setup that's run out of a ZXR optical line into a DVD era Sony DA2ES. 

I want more surround. I want to hear people sneaking up behind me. However, I could NOT get the 6.1 sound working on the old DA2ES. On a side note, I am going to experiment with analogue 5.1 out of the ZXR to see if the overall sound quality improves. 

Here's my question. If I got a 7.1 BR receiver and left the optical/analogue behind for PCM, then I would have a 7.1 capable setup. Do modern games such as DOOM or Metro output true 7.1 and is it worth it over 5.1? 

We are talking another 250 bucks, and I've already spent 300 to get this far. 

Curious myself, I found this list: https://satsun.org/audio/

I've been seeing on some forums that it does not matter so much to have 7.1 surround for FPS style games. Other places suggest that as long as your setup (sound card, hardware, etc) support it, the game should output just fine. But I guess that's subjective and game dependent. For example, I've played Flight Simulator X on a true 5.1 surround setup, with the PC to support it. But it honestly just sounded worse, and sounded simulated. Both games you mention are listed on there as having 7.1 and if you play other games that support it, and/or watch movies that are 7.1 you may as well go balls to the wall then.