Help with what to build for game server

I want to run a minecraft server modded and maybe ark. Not all together.
And some other server that my friends (10 ppl) want to play someday.
And later I will use this as a file server.

Im currently running Linux with no graphical interface

Pentium E5200 at 3.20ghz oc, 4gb ddr2 ram

This config is ok?

FX 8350 just max speed, no OC with an id-cooling water cooling system that i have.

Planning to buy two motherboard so i can replace if it fails.

16gb ram maybe 32gb for mods.

A good 240gb ssd for storage, maybe raid with ssd's if you guys recommend that.

or should i go for other cpu motherboard and ram ? 
i would love to go next gen but, i don't know how they perform!

Thanks for your help !

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

why investing in a spaceheater when ryzen exists?

I don't know how they perform, plus i have a water cooling system.
But hey, what would you recommend. 

1 minute ago, walkerog said:

depending on your budget, you should look into the 2200g, 2400g, 1600/2600, 1700/2700

they perform much better in gaming, and are dirt cheap rn

2 minutes ago, walkerog said:

Ryzen 5 1600/2600 would be miles better than any FX chip, especially for this.

Lower power draw, lower heat output, higher performance, more cores, more threads, DDR4, the list goes on. It's better in every way.

Another alternative would be to find a Dell or HP-built server on the LGA 1366/X58 platform.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Ryzen 5 1600/2600 would be miles better than any FX chip, especially for this.

Lower power draw, lower heat output, higher performance, more cores, more threads, DDR4, the list goes on. It's better in every way.

Another alternative would be to find a Dell or HP-built server on the LGA 1366/X58 platform.

Then I should choose a Ryzen 7 1700x 
Any motherboard with m.2 and a lot of sata's, because it would be my file server later.
What about the SSD raid 0, its worth for the game server or meh.?

And I live in Argentina, so, avoid anything like server's motherboards, stores sell it at  +300% the price because they are server parts or system, just for that. CORRUPTS... 

Any motherboard with m.2 and a lot of sata's, because it would be my file server later.

And I live in Argentina, so, avoid anything like server's motherboards, stores sell it at  +300% the price because they are server parts or system, just for that. CORRUPTS... 

Really minecraft doesn't care much about storage, it should run all from ram, other than starting and other disk tasks, it won't matter.

Don't bother with raid 0 here.

Minecraft is normally pretty single threaded for the server, so a ryzen 3 will be almost as good and much cheaper. Server hardware really won't help here either, desktop stuff is fine.

I wouldn't do RAID 0 at all, it's cheaper and more reliable just to buy a single drive of the capacity you want. For backing up data, RAID 1 or 5 is usually recommended.

If you're using M.2, you will be down at least one SATA port, two if you're using an NVMe SSD. Don't use M.2 for this, not worth losing the storage capacity.

I would look for a PCIe SAS card as well, as those will let you plug 4 SATA drives into one port, and will greatly increase and maximize your storage capacity.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

maybe the b450 pro4 is a cheap, reliable option? the tomahawk b450 and many others have 6 sata ports these days. i wouldn't consider raid to be worth it here

Oh, pro4 is really nice!

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Really minecraft doesn't care much about storage, it should run all from ram, other than starting and other disk tasks, it won't matter.

Don't bother with raid 0 here.

Minecraft is normally pretty single threaded for the server, so a ryzen 3 will be almost as good and much cheaper. Server hardware really won't help here either, desktop stuff is fine.

Then i should invest on the fastest ram that my board supports

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't do RAID 0 at all, it's cheaper and more reliable just to buy a single drive of the capacity you want. For backing up data, RAID 1 or 5 is usually recommended.

If you're using M.2, you will be down at least one SATA port, two if you're using an NVMe SSD. Don't use M.2 for this, not worth losing the storage capacity.

I would look for a PCIe SAS card as well, as those will let you plug 4 SATA drives into one port, and will greatly increase and maximize your storage capacity.

Oh man, I that PCI card is what I need.
And I didn't know about that m.2 - SATA port thing, it is good to consider it.

Damn, I'm glad that I wrote about this in the forum.

3 hours ago, walkerog said:

Go for at least DDR4-2400, not much reason going higher than DDR4-3000 for your uses.

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Minecraft is normally pretty single threaded for the server, so a ryzen 3 will be almost as good and much cheaper. 

You can tune a lot to make it run across more threads, though. Especially modded minecraft can go quite haywire with CPU and RAM consumption. 

Heck, I run a vanilla server for 5 people and my Microserver couldn't deal with that before I tuned the start options for the minecraft server. Now it's buttery smooth :) 

9 hours ago, walkerog said:

DDR4-2666 is probably the sweet spot for price and speed. It's fast enough to benefit you yet affordable. 

Whichever CPU you pick, the stock cooler will do fine. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

You can tune a lot to make it run across more threads, though. Especially modded minecraft can go quite haywire with CPU and RAM consumption. 

Heck, I run a vanilla server for 5 people and my Microserver couldn't deal with that before I tuned the start options for the minecraft server. Now it's buttery smooth :) 

DDR4-2666 is probably the sweet spot for price and speed. It's fast enough to benefit you yet affordable. 

Whichever CPU you pick, the stock cooler will do fine. 

I'm not really worried about the minecraft server.. ark server may be hard to run.