Is IPS Glow really that bad?

subrooz

IPS has better picture quality and viewing angles, but suffers from glow and bleed. VA has better contrast, but suffers from ghosting, smearing, etc.

Both have pros and cons, and i'm finding it pretty difficult on picking an IPS or VA panel.

In regards to an IPS and AHVA panel (assuming you get a monitor with decent quality control), is the IPS glow really that bad if you're using your PC in the dark? 

My current ultrawide is an IPS LG 29WK600 monitor, it's an upgrade from my old TN Acer monitor.

I don't see the IPS 'glow' at all and I use my PC in the dark a lot, but I do have backlighting behind my PC so that may play a part in it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I totally recommend IPS wherever possible. Everything looks so much nicer.

I sometimes notice glow in a corner or two on my ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q when the screen is almost completely black (namely dark movies and BIOS), but that's about it. My wallpaper is currently just black and I can't really see the glow. And that's with these monitors being considered relatively bad for IPS glow (I guess mostly due to the manufacturing focus being more on the panel being able to do an impressive 165hz 1440p). The Dell Ultrasharps at work are also great.

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

Yes.

but in the end, all 3 panel typeso f LCD have major drawebacks, so you gunan have to decide which ur goign to deal with.

IPS: IPS glow

VA: Slow Pixel response

TN: Terrible blacks levels/contrast.

Personaly i cant stand any of those drawbacks, thats why i've stuck with my Plasma for so long.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

The glow is not that bad on a good panel.  The trick is getting a good panel.

Also, you have to keep a look out for bad BLB (black light bleed) on some IPS panels.  That is resolved if one can afford a IPS with FALD (not cheap).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

21 hours ago, Ithanul said:

The glow is not that bad on a good panel.  The trick is getting a good panel.

Also, you have to keep a look out for bad BLB (black light bleed) on some IPS panels.  That is resolved if one can afford a IPS with FALD (not cheap).

Even then the FALD  implimentation will be low density, resultign in haloing.

I have yet to see ANY FALD equiped display, monitor or TV, that has a high enough density to stop haloing.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Even then the FALD  implimentation will be low density, resultign in haloing.

I have yet to see ANY FALD equiped display, monitor or TV, that has a high enough density to stop haloing.

Yes, low density of the tech results in bad haloing.  But, a good implementation can lower haloing down to minimal to the point one has to purposly look for it.

Case in point: Left (without FALD), Right (with FALD)

vPOrjfe.jpg.a3e051f549f4189445dc2547adb2e1a5.jpg

Also, one also have to keep in mind a camera taking a picture has limitations that cause stuff to be overblown like the white in pictures.

The FALD ain't perfect still, but it sure beats out just regular IPS without it.  Of course, a good OLED or Plasma is still top for amazing image quality.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU