How to disable Windows automatic update on Windows 10 build 1803?

8==D
7 minutes ago, rwantare said:

I'm sure they sit around eating cupcakes all day, not worried about the coporations paying them billions of dollars a year to have stable and secure systems.

I recommend following barnacules's twitter, but microsoft 100% fired their testing staff, apparently because they tried to unionize.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-23/microsoft-bug-testers-unionized-then-they-were-dismissed

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Fah Q said:

1) I don't like automatic update

2) It interfere with my work

3) Issues like 1809 first issue

4) Manual update > Automatic update

I have exactly the same concerns and I'm not disputing what you've said here. I'm offering a way to disable the updates that are problematic, namely, feature updates.

Also, with my settings, Windows has never interrupted my work, I think random restarts to install updates are just a meme at this point.

Just now, rwantare said:

I have exactly the same concerns and I'm not disputing what you've said here. I'm offering a way to disable the updates that are problematic, namely, feature updates.

Also, with my settings, Windows has never interrupted my work, I think random restarts to install updates are just a meme at this point.

All I want is to turn off Automatic Update like holy sh*t, I just want to burn Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7 for real. 

2 minutes ago, Fah Q said:

All I want is to turn off Automatic Update like holy sh*t, I just want to burn Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7 for real. 

Depending on what you do you could always switch to Linux in some fashion, run windows in a VM for instance.

Or microsoft could install an off button that actually works.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Depending on what you do you could always switch to Linux in some fashion, run windows in a VM for instance.

Or microsoft could install an off button that actually works.

They do have a sort of off button, it's just not available to those with a home license apparently. I also second the Linux recommendation. I'll plug Linux Mint specifically.

9 minutes ago, Fah Q said:

2 minutes ago, rwantare said:

They do have a sort of off button, it's just not available to those with a home license apparently. I also second the Linux recommendation. I'll plug Linux Mint specifically.

Even with the pro version there is no off button, there is only delay buttons

1734123439_OffButton.jpg.491e5ffeceaf5d01d4262c2f21097e8c.jpg

Spoiler

Even with the pro version there is no off button, there is only delay buttons

1734123439_OffButton.jpg.491e5ffeceaf5d01d4262c2f21097e8c.jpg

You can delay by 365 days, I'm sure whatever issue you have will be fixed in that time frame. Semi-Annual not targeted delays by around six months just to make sure all the non-pro users find all the bugs lol.

3 minutes ago, rwantare said:

You can delay by 365 days, I'm sure whatever issue you have will be fixed in that time frame. Semi-Annual not targeted delays by around six months just to make sure all the non-pro users find all the bugs lol.

I would run vanilla Windows 7 if I could do so, I never want an update on my PC unless something is broken.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, rwantare said:

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I would run vanilla Windows 7 if I could do so, I never want an update on my PC unless something is broken.

Do I have to reinstall Windows if I upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro??? 

Just now, Fah Q said:

Do I have to reinstall Windows if I upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro??? 

Nope

Just now, rwantare said:

Nope

So how the Pro features activate?

Just now, Fah Q said:

even if you buy a presumably cheap windows 10 pro key, you don't get to turn off updates, you just get to tell it not to install, and it MIGHT listen to you and not install updates

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

even if you buy a presumably cheap windows 10 pro key, you don't get to turn off updates, you just get to tell it not to install, and it MIGHT listen to you and not install updates

But I dont have to clean install Windows to upgrade to Pro?

3 minutes ago, Fah Q said:

You restart the PC and they are there. The code is all present but disabled on Home PCs.

This is true, and it has listened to me. Sample size n=1

1 minute ago, Fah Q said:

But I dont have to clean install Windows to upgrade to Pro?

You shouldn't just google upgrading to pro from home, you can use SCDKEY to get a cheap key potentially, just don't buy an OEM key if you can help it

2 minutes ago, rwantare said:

You restart the PC and they are there. The code is all present but disabled on Home PCs.

I'm just saying be cautious and don't expect full control still.

Spoiler

On 12/17/2018 at 9:42 PM, Streetguru said:

You shouldn't just google upgrading to pro from home, you can use SCDKEY to get a cheap key potentially, just don't buy an OEM key if you can help it

I'm just saying be cautious and don't expect full control still.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:39 PM, rwantare said:

Do you guys know any legit site selling legit good deal Windows 10 Pro key? 

33 minutes ago, Fah Q said:

Do you guys know any legit site selling legit good deal Windows 10 Pro key? 

scdkey is popular

Spoiler

On 12/17/2018 at 4:43 PM, Fah Q said:

How to disable Windows automatic update on Windows 10 build 1803? Registry edit does not work. 

On 12/17/2018 at 5:00 PM, Streetguru said:

You don't.

There are many ways to stop Windows Update in Windows 10 1803 and newer.

You can also try this. 

Though, my own experience is that disabling the Windows Update service no longer works as the service restarts itself within a day. However, I don't recall if I set the reset fail count to 9999 days or not, so that's one thing I have to still verify.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just go to group policy editor and disable from there. Be careful though.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:24 PM, Neftex said:

set your network connection to metered, disable windows update service, disable scheduled tasks of updateorchestrator

i think this should be enough, but im not certain

I can't disable Scheduled Tasks of updateorchestrator because I get this error message

Screenshot_5.png.17e7f1f1a9fb22356d753933ffd26d39.png

17 hours ago, MagnumOpus said:

Just go to group policy editor and disable from there. Be careful though.

I am using Windows 10 Home, not Pro. 

20 hours ago, Streetguru said:

scdkey is popular

Is it legit? How fast is the delivery? 

Edit: SCDkey doesn't sell any Windows OS. 

7 minutes ago, Fah Q said:

Is it legit? How fast is the delivery? 

Edit: SCDkey doesn't sell any Windows OS. 

I guess they removed them all

you know you can install windows 10 pro without a key right? straight from microsoft, you just hit the "i don't have a key" button

Spoiler

On 12/17/2018 at 5:24 PM, Neftex said:

set your network connection to metered, disable windows update service, disable scheduled tasks of updateorchestrator

i think this should be enough, but im not certain

3 hours ago, Fah Q said:

I can't disable Scheduled Tasks of updateorchestrator because I get this error message

I am using Windows 10 Home, not Pro. 

Disabling Windows Update in Task Scheduler doesn't work since, I think, Windows 10 1709, as the scheduled tasks relating to Windows Update will keep re-enabling themselves.

If you want to permanently stop the re-enabling of the WU service and possibly also permanently stop Windows Update, you can delete the files those things depend on:

The files to be removed to stop the 3 offending services are all in the directory Windows\System32, and are the following files:

wusa.exe - windows update stand alone installer
wuapi.dll - windows update
wuaueng.dll - windows update
wuauclt.exe - old windows update

UsoClient.exe - update orchestrator
usoapi.dll - update orchestrator
usocore.dll - update orchestrator

WaaSMedicAssessment.dll - new medic service
WaaSMedicSvc.dll - new medic service
WaaSMedicPL.dll - new medic service

One Windows owner has reported that removing these files has fixed the Windows Update service from re-starting without authorization, without any detrimental effects on the rest of their system's operation. I haven't tried this method myself, and if anyone wants to add their feedback after trying it, please do.

Or, if you want a Windows 10 with security updates but without any feature updates, then buy a license for Windows 10 LTSB 2016 from eBay. Windows 10 LTSC 2019 has bugs, as Windows 10 1809 has been a very problematic release so far.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 hours ago, Fah Q said:

this should help

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/no-permission-to-disable-a-task-in-task-scheduler/4ec2c460-7c2f-4593-b84f-c9b1687ae797

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB