My first HTPC build.

GoatyMcGoat

Hi all! I'm about to start planning a HTPC build but not sure were to start. I built my first gaming PC 3 years ago and I'm hooked and want to build another, this time for my lounge room TV. I have a spare i5 6600k so i want to use that if possible but other then that I have nothing else. I mainly want it to be able to browse the web, netflix, music and maybe light gaming (but not really needed). Id also like it to be a media center for all my movies, so BIG storage. But most importantly I want it in a small form factor, either mini or micro atx. What should I be looking for? Any must haves for HTPCs? 

Many thank!!

there is a case that has the size of a DVD player I don't know if you are interested in it

You need to consider whether you want very small form-factor cases that come with PSUs or if you want to get an SFX PSU which will give you a lot more wattage but will bulk up your system. Getting a lot of storage will prove to be quite difficult in small form factor as well. Either you need to buy large capacity SSDs or set up your storage separately in a NAS. Then there's the issue of cooling/acoustics and cable management.

Building a small form-factor can be difficult for even seasoned builders and you need to be willing to switch out parts and make compromises as you go.

I'd suggest you start by picking a mITX case that strikes your fancy and working your way from there. I'd start with Silverstone.

Or you could just look into in-home streaming instead...

What's the budget? I'd say that's the most important part of a build.

For capacity, you could go with a mITX board with dual m.2.

If you want full low-profile you could go with a 2400g / 2200g, but if you want a dedicated you could also go with a half-height GPU.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/