Building and selling pcs

vSaft_Hype

Is it worth it and as a less than 16 year old would I make a profit because I've built a few gaming pcs and were would I advertise EDIT 16 should be 13 but keeps changing.

Any business has risks, any time you work for someone else you take risks.

If you are in the states you need to file taxes and / or the business needs to be in an adults name so they can on your behalf.

Tell me who will hand over a couple grand to a 16 year old kid to build a pc?

Your grandpa and grandma, your father and mother, your nieces or nephews perhaps.

Anyone else, would go to Besybuy, Memory Express, NCIX, Tiger Direct, Canada Computers, Microcenter to lay over a few g's.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Tell me who will hand over a couple grand to a 16 year old kid to build a pc?

Your grandpa and grandma, your father and mother, your nieces or nephews perhaps.

Anyone else, would go to Besybuy, Memory Express, NCIX, Tiger Direct, Canada Computers, Microcenter to lay over a few g's.

If you’re lucky you could start off building for family and friends and having them recommend others to you. Happened to me 

4 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

If you’re lucky you could start off building for family and friends and having them recommend others to you. Happened to me 

True, but its a long slow grind. There are better uses of time to make more money.

O.P. is 16 y.o so hopefully he/she is in a large town/metropolitan city.

Easiest to get going is a lawn care business, all you need is a mower and a trimmer.

Make enough to get snow equipment and a truck and a trailer.

Make enough to get a snow plow for the truck and a used bobcat.

In the meantime, learn how to build decks and fences and install shingles on a roof and siding.

Keep moving your way up and get into home renovations.

Make a name for yourself in an industry where the upside potential is huge and is great!

Just now, Canada EH said:

True, but its a long slow grind. There are better uses of time to make more money.

If it’s your hobby and money isn’t a priority then yeah. Still better to go work at mcdonalds or something if money is priority

Don't plan on doing this as a job, or career. It's very hard to get into, and it's super expensive. You're better off buying PC's locally and parting them out, if you live in an area where there's lots on the buy and sell sites.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

doing this as a job, or career.

To me its a nothing career. Better time and effort is achieved by better goals in an industry where the upside potential is hugely great. Education route would be Oil and Gas, Electrician that starts off in residential and works their way into Industrial, technology in O&G is ever expanding and there is no end in sight for that Black Gold!

As a 16 year old, gotta be thinking ahead. People are getting older and older, so they require more services. There is day care, but old people care is where the money is at. Buy some 4-plexes and convert, can house many in there. Just think the average old person pays like $3k+ for a shared room! Dont want to be a nurse, be a doctor! Don't be a Paralegal be a criminal lawyer! First gotta take a swing, see if you make it big. I say Construction!

Just now, Canada EH said:

To me its a nothing career. Better time and effort is achieved by better goals in an industry where the upside potential is hugely great. Education route would be Oil and Gas, Electrician that starts off in residential and works their way into Industrial, technology in O&G is ever expanding and there is no end in sight for that Black Gold!

Oil and gas is a horrible suggestion. Predictions are a massive, massive drop in demand in that sector in the next decade or two. While yes, there will still be jobs, they will be held by people already in the sector, not people just going in.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

There will always be a need for the Black Gold. 16 is the perfect age because in 2 years with the right steps, the right work ethic and the right work mentality, could be making big coin on the top of a Derrick on the Monkey Board. The first kick should be something solitary and in one city all the time so Construction! Sure can make 6 figures easy, not a problem but its more about building that castle with a solid foundation.

2 hours ago, Alexsolo said:

Under 11,000$ per year in Canada doesn't need to be declared.

You are wrong about that, CRA wants to know every penny from your income.

You may not pay taxes up to $11k or whatever that bracket maybe.

Besides that there are legal liabilities to insulate yourself against. If you are 16 a customer could go after your parents assets so that $50 Sole Proprietorship isn't that cheap now is it. Have to spend a few multiples of that for insulation. They say "Oh its difficult" but it really isn't. Just pay the couple hundred to get everything lined up, and fill out the paper work accordingly. There are kits you can buy, but really all it is are just forms to fill out, then get your tax #, your nuans, other licenses and you are good to go. If you let things slide, the government will come after you, freeze your accounts, even if its something minor like not filing, thinking zero income, no need, wrong, have to do it. Come to think of it, I bet that Sole Proprietor License is probably $125 these days, its always going up.

18 hours ago, hypeftwmlg said:

Is it worth it and as a less than 16 year old would I make a profit because I've built a few gaming pcs and were would I advertise

Absolutely not. I've been doing it for 13 years and the timing and profit is awful. Real sales only happen around holidays.