8700k vs 9700k for premier pro

mxk

I have the chance to get either a 9700k or an 8700k for less than the cost of an i5-8600k/9600k and I'm definitely going to jump on this opportunity.

I just wanted to ask, what would be the differences for render times (stock clock speeds) for adobe premier pro? If that isn't specific enough, I would be editing 1080p60 gameplay. Also, would the temps be that much higher than an 8700k? I wasn't sure since it has 2 more cores.

If anyone wants more info I can provide, I just wasn't sure what to add. 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If it's that cheap, get the 9700K.

cough cough sub $200 usd, will do

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Yeah, at face value, jump on the 9700k.

However... And I hope someone can answer this. Are there situations where 6 cores, 12 threads would actually perform better than 8 cores? Seems like the only reason the 9700k performs "better" is because of better single-thread performance. But even with slower individual cores, would almost twice the threads be beneficial to editing?

I know more full cores are better, but we're not talking about say, 4 cores 8 threads, vs 8 cores here. So the situation to my noob self is throwing me off. 

Rendering might be a bit slower because of 4 less threads but honestly that's not a problem unless you need to render hours of video every day.

Most of your time is spent doing the editing and not the rendering anyway, so the higher core performance will benefit you more.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, mxk. said:

cough cough sub $200 usd, will do

HOLY SHITE, smokin' deal. Don't think, just grab the 9700K I would think. :)

Just now, Enderman said:

Rendering might be a bit slower because of 4 less threads but honestly that's not a problem unless you need to render hours of video every day.

Most of your time is spent doing the editing and not the rendering anyway, so the higher core performance will benefit you more.

Okie dokie artichokie. I doubt my longest video will go past 10min so I probably shouldn't be worried

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, bmichaels556 said:

HOLY SHITE, smokin' deal. Don't think, just grab the 9700K I would think. :)

out of stock atm but should be back by the time I need it.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 hour ago, bmichaels556 said:

Are there situations where 6 cores, 12 threads would actually perform better than 8 cores? Seems like the only reason the 9700k performs "better" is because of better single-thread performance. But even with slower individual cores, would almost twice the threads be beneficial to editing?

Not many. Single-thread performance is a big one, though.

Most of the time, the more cores and threads you have at your disposal will be better for rendering, and that's just due to having more of them available. 9700K also has an IPC boost over the 8700K, so that alone will help it perform better. Think about the Ryzen 5 1600 and 2600. Basically identical, except the 2600 got an IPC boost with Zen+ architecture, which makes it perform slightly better than the 1600.

This is without overclocks in play, but I'm pretty sure a 9700K will still outperform an 8700K clock for clock.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 hours ago, mxk. said:

I have the chance to get either a 9700k or an 8700k for less than the cost of an i5-8600k/9600k and I'm definitely going to jump on this opportunity.

I just wanted to ask, what would be the differences for render times (stock clock speeds) for adobe premier pro? If that isn't specific enough, I would be editing 1080p60 gameplay. Also, would the temps be that much higher than an 8700k? I wasn't sure since it has 2 more cores.

If anyone wants more info I can provide, I just wasn't sure what to add. 

My CPU beats a 8700k stock in CPU Queen test.  It hangs in there with other benchmarks too. So it must be overclocked and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

20 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This is without overclocks in play, but I'm pretty sure a 9700K will still outperform an 8700K clock for clock.

I haven't seen many rendering graphs for times and scores around (I might have not looked well enough) but a youtuber I watch, Optimum Tech actually released a video today and his graphs just further your response so this is good to know. 

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 hour ago, mxk. said:

I haven't seen many rendering graphs for times and scores around (I might have not looked well enough) but a youtuber I watch, Optimum Tech actually released a video today and his graphs just further your response so this is good to know. 

9700K got an IPC boost, it's logical that it would beat an 8700K clock for clock.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!