Debian Unstable on Ryzen

I had Windows 10 running on a Ryzen 5 1500X, perfectly fine and stable. I decided I wanted to install and use some flavor of Linux instead, for better compatibility with my other *nix machines. First, I installed Ubuntu 18.10, but found that the system would completely lock up and freeze every 15 minutes or so. I figured it might be something weird with the install, so I reinstalled. Same thing happened, and so I decided to try Debian 10 Stretch to see if it would be more stable. It is, but it still locks up every once in a while and I can't find anything that seems to fit, so I was hoping someone here could help. If you need any more info, please let me know.

Thanks so much!

Please quote me if you are replying so that I get a notification. Also, mark my answer as "correct" if I've answered your question :)

What graphics card do you have?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Are you using the same drive for Windows and Linux? If you can rule out an issue with your drive, whip some statistics open and see what's actually freezing the system.

You could try a .rpm distro, Ubuntu and Debian are practically the same under the hood so that switch only ruled out bloat Ubuntu comes with. This is more a "for fun" suggestion, but you sound like a guy who likes doing this stuff.

Use the minimal installer and install only the minimal desktop. That way you won't get a load of office programs and other junk. If you get crashes then post your log files. It should be very easy to find the cause. Unlike Windows, Linux has a proper log for the whole system where almost all errors are reported.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

I got ryzen too but I'm not getting any issues out of it, which video card do you have? 

2 hours ago, Lukyp said:

I got ryzen too but I'm not getting any issues out of it, which video card do you have? 

Same here, running 1700X in my home server(running 24/7). No freezes so far.

17 hours ago, nsinnott said:

but found that the system would completely lock up and freeze every 15 minutes or so

What GPU do you have... if it's Nvidia then Ubuntu and most other distros will use Nouveau driver which usually doesn't work. You have to switch to the Nvidia proprietary driver.

Ubuntu & Debian are very similar as stared, try opensuse or mageia.  Antegros & manjaro are also possibilities

• 2 weeks later...

There's a conflict between your OS and hardware, not particular distro. You need to look through dmesg then.

And I highly recommend trying solus (https://getsol.us), since modern debian-based distros are sort of moving in a wrong direction.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue with my MSI GS65 8RE. It ran Windows 10 well but as soon as I popped in any Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Antergos, pop_OS) it would either crap out on me right away or after some time. Eventually I got it working by first disabling the discreet GPU in BIOS. After installing the OS (Ubuntu 18.04.1) with only the Intel integrated GPU enabled, I was able to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers and only then re-enable the discreet GPU without any issues. Now I use the "prime-select" command to switch between the two.

Have a look in BIOS as it might be something similar causing your lock-ups.

Usually Nouveau driver is responsible and this one is used by most distros by default. My laptop has GTX 1060 and the one in office 1050 Ti and on both installing fresh Ubuntu ends up with the same post-install problems.