React OS

React OS is a open source Windows project that i believe needs some attention.

Here is a link to there front page if anyone is interested.  

It doesn't need attention. It's basically an open source Windows XP but severely broken. It's not that interesting. In fact, it was dormant for over 10 years before some slow development started again a year or two ago.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

IMHO, In this day and age, using VMs to run old stuff makes more sense than using ReactOS does, and for gaming on alternative platforms, ie. non-Windows, Valve's Proton is a lot, lot more practical approach. I'm not trying to diss on ReactOS, just being realistic; there's still SO FRICKING MUCH work to be done and everything having to be reverse-engineered and re-implemented is such a disheartening and slow job that there just ain't enough devs interested in it. It's progressing slower than a snail, and I just do not see it ever really reaching a state where it'd be good enough as a primary OS on a system for any sort of normal use.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I just do not see it ever really reaching a state where it'd be good enough as a primary OS on a system for any sort of normal use.

Well, it doesn't need to be a primary OS.

I have been running Windows XP VMs and would much rather be running React OS.

1 hour ago, Granular said:

I have been running Windows XP VMs and would much rather be running React OS.

Because? It's not like ReactOS actually supports modern hardware, because it really really doesn't. And most XP software that doesn't require graphics runs just fine in a VM.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

11 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Because? It's not like ReactOS actually supports modern hardware, because it really really doesn't. And most XP software that doesn't require graphics runs just fine in a VM.

Because Microsoft (C) Windows (TM) XP isn't freeware and I'm wary of giving an OS, that isn't receiving security patches, access to the internet .

Just now, Granular said:

Because Microsoft (C) Windows (TM) XP isn't freeware and I'm wary of giving an OS, that isn't receiving security patches, access to the internet .

Then set a static ip on the network card and remove the gateway and DNS. It won't be able to connect to the Internet, local only.

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Then set a static ip on the network card and remove the gateway and DNS. It won't be able to connect to the Internet, local only.

I know how not to give a VM network access. But for programs that require network access, I'd rather be running them on a maintained OS.

Just now, Granular said:

I know how not to give a VM network access. But for programs that require network access, I'd rather be running them on a maintained OS.

ReactOS is not a maintained OS. It's barely alive. If you need Windows compatibility and support, run the POSReady hack on XP and enjoy another year of updates.

6 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Is there even any software that runs on ReactOS but doesn't run using Wine?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

HaikuOS is cool,well developed, and definitely has a lot of support and I would like to see the same thing happen to ReactOS.

It just has the same Wine compatibility, it is using the same libraries and applications.
The only difference is in the kernel, which is an Windows NT like, and supports native (old) Windows drivers. 

You could say it is an open source remake of Windows, like Linux is compared to Unix  

On 12/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, WereCatf said:

Is there even any software that runs on ReactOS but doesn't run using Wine?

AFAIK it does not use wine, it was built from scratch with win32 compatibility in mind...

8 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

AFAIK it does not use wine, it was built from scratch with win32 compatibility in mind...

It's built with and sharesz a lot of code with wine.  It doesn't run wine, it is wine

49 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

It's built with and sharesz a lot of code with wine.  It doesn't run wine, it is wine

Sharing code does not mean its the same thing:

Windows-like_comparison.png