turnign power on/off using b450 tomahawk out of case

2018amdbuild

Hi, I'm trying to run my pc build out of case first and do a couple of things with it before it goes inside the case - install OS, test stability, OC it. I'm using the b450 tomahawk as my case and I cant tell which set of pings are for turning the power on as none of them have "power" or "reset" as labels, I intend to use a flat head screwdriver for a splits second to bridge the gap between the pins for the power.. Similarly I'd like to know how I can turn it off outside of the box, as an open air build. Could anyone give me some pointers? I'm doing this in order to make any wiring / build changes I need to make before putting everything together in the case (have yet to add HDD's).

Look for the labels close to the pine they may be a bit farther than you thought and you missed them.

Also, check the manual, it should have a section detailing the front panel connections

So I found this thing called a b450 tomahawk manual and it had this photo.

image.png.3731c5a73b05ef418a403c6faf308c52.png

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

4 minutes ago, 2018amdbuild said:

Hi, I'm trying to run my pc build out of case first and do a couple of things with it before it goes inside the case - install OS, test stability, OC it. I'm using the b450 tomahawk as my case and I cant tell which set of pings are for turning the power on as none of them have "power" or "reset" as labels, I intend to use a flat head screwdriver for a splits second to bridge the gap between the pins for the power.. Similarly I'd like to know how I can turn it off outside of the box, as an open air build. Could anyone give me some pointers? I'm doing this in order to make any wiring / build changes I need to make before putting everything together in the case (have yet to add HDD's).

I presume you mean motherboard instead of case... it should say in the manual

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

So I found this thing called a b450 tomahawk manual and it had this photo.

image.png.3731c5a73b05ef418a403c6faf308c52.png

1 minute ago, Grockle88 said:

I presume you mean motherboard instead of case... it should say in the manual

Yeah found it in the mobo manual now that you've pointed it out, so for power on i would just bridge the top row, and to turn off would I do the same thing?

After reading a second time, did you find the set of pins first? They are named something like JFP1 or Panel1. Check the manual!

About running it out of the case, yeah, you can. Check it is sitting on a non conducted surface (cardboard or wood will work) and be careful not to drop a screw or something metallic on the MOBO while it is running

Just now, Isgolo said:

After reading a second time, did you find the set of pins first? They are named something like Panel 1. Check the manual!

About running it out of the case, yeah, you can. Check it is sitting on a non conducted surface (cardboard or wood will work) and be careful not to drop a screw or something metallic on the MOBO while it is running

Found the pins, see above posts, have it on my desk top at the moment.

Yeah found it in the mobo manual now that you've pointed it out, so for power on i would just bridge the top row, and to turn off would I do the same thing?

You don't bridge the entire row.  Honestly if looking in the manual wasn't your first thought on pin layout I'd steer clear of bridging pins.

Just bring your case close to your motherboard and hook up the Power + and Power - wires.  Then use the power button.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Found the pins, see above posts, have it on my desk top at the moment.

Ok, to turn on short the pins for a moment.

To turn off short briefly to let the SO shutdown or hold to force it. If you have no SO it will shutdown inmediatly

Bridge only the power pins!

Also you could do as velcade said and use the buttons on the case, it will be easier

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

You don't bridge the entire row.  Honestly if looking in the manual wasn't your first thought on pin layout I'd steer clear of bridging pins.

Just bring your case close to your motherboard and hook up the Power + and Power - wires.  Then use the power button.

I meant the two pins on the top row for power, as outlined by the manual, sorry. I may consider hooking up the case wires like you suggested as it seems like a good halfway point.