Dual RAM channel and four RAM slot???

Go to solution Solved by Olllllli,

Essentially, 4 Ram slots on Duel Channel means 2 slots per channel. So if you have 4 slots with 8gb sticks in each, you have 16gb per channel. 

They do this so you can have more memory in total I'd assume, not entirely sure for the thinking though. 

A motherboard rated for dual channel RAM support, and came with four RAM slot, wtf?

If people online said that how much channel your CPU supports then buy how much RAM but why there are more slots?

If I use four same RAM sticks on dual channel four slot board, what will happen?

Will it perform better or you will see no difference?

if your board has 4 ram slots you are able to use 1 stick or as many as you want to

3 minutes ago, TheOnlyBadMax said:

A motherboard rated for dual channel RAM support, and came with four RAM slot, wtf?

If people online said that how much channel your CPU supports then buy how much RAM but why there are more slots?

If I use four same RAM sticks on dual channel four slot board, what will happen?

Will it perform better or you will see no difference?

4 Slots but still Dual Channel 

Related image

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, TheOnlyBadMax said:

What about the performance?

if you're talking about 2 sticks of ram vs 4 ? in this case zero difference

but if you had quad channel thats another story

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Ye ofc I know it is a Dual Channel, why they do this?

So that your RAM runs faster. You're still given the option to use more or less memory. I prefer 2x8gb or 2x16gb, unless you have quad channel. 4 sticks should still be fine as well.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Ye ofc I know it is a Dual Channel, why they do this? To increase the RAM size? without more performance?

Essentially, 4 Ram slots on Duel Channel means 2 slots per channel. So if you have 4 slots with 8gb sticks in each, you have 16gb per channel. 

They do this so you can have more memory in total I'd assume, not entirely sure for the thinking though. 

Ye ofc I know it is a Dual Channel, why they do this? To increase the RAM size? without more performance?

Sometimes more RAM at a slightly slower speed = better performance. Depends on what you're doing with your computer.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build