HP Motherboard dead/locked PCI-E?

Go to solution Solved by CharminUltraStrong,

@JacobeeGames Assuming you know how to Secure Boot, do that and enable legacy support. If not there, then enable legacy support from the BIOS. If your PCI-E slot is acting like it's "locked" then it could be that your legacy support has been disabled.

I was given an HP Pavilion p7-1534 a little while back, it's been my main PC for some light gaming and music through my surround sound speakers. Recently I took up editing videos for a friend and getting into some more gaming as well as some 3D modeling using Autodesk Fusion 360, the 8gb's of ram and the quad core CPU have been good enough in the past.

Being me I grabbed a cheap 10 dollar graphics card off eBay to test the PCI-E slot before I dropped money on a more expensive card for some gaming and 3D modeling, I discovered that the slot is either dead or BIOS locked to prevent upgrading. I was wondering if it was possible that the slot is just locked and through some tweaking it could be unlocked. The card is a Radeon HD 5450 so barely any power draw, so I know the slot isn't power restraint. Not to mention there are no marking's on the board or any information on the HP website to lead to that. Anyone have some ideas? Hacked BIOS or something?

What happens when you attempt to start your computer? With the GPU installed.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

What happens when you attempt to start your computer?

HP beep code for malfunctioning PCI-E slot, the card isn't dead it's running in another PC beside me right now, and it has changed PC's multiple times. It ran in my old Athlon machine, a Pentium D machine, and a Core 2 duo machine without issues.

1 minute ago, JacobeeGames said:

HP beep code for malfunctioning PCI-E slot, the card isn't dead it's running in another PC beside me right now, and it has changed PC's multiple times. It ran in my old Athlon machine, a Pentium D machine, and a Core 2 duo machine without issues.

Hmm. So it doesn't boot into windows at all so you can't run safemode and mess with drivers. Have you attempted to sift through your BIOS settings yet?

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

oh is it the same as with asus? beeeeeeeeeeep beep beep beep ?? 

2 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Hmm. So it doesn't boot into windows at all so you can't run safemode and mess with drivers. Have you attempted to sift through your BIOS settings yet?

Nothing, no monitor output, wont even wake it from sleep. Looked through my BIOS settings, nothing to show a locked PCI-E slot or any other settings that would limit the PCI-E slot or it's card. Won't boot to Windows, I am running Windows 10 64-bit

@JacobeeGames Assuming you know how to Secure Boot, do that and enable legacy support. If not there, then enable legacy support from the BIOS. If your PCI-E slot is acting like it's "locked" then it could be that your legacy support has been disabled.

The Louvre

4 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

oh is it the same as with asus? beeeeeeeeeeep beep beep beep ?? 

No, for me it was 6 short beeps, for HP that's expansion slot failure (PCI-E)

Just now, JacobeeGames said:

Nothing, no monitor output, wont even wake it from sleep. Looked through my BIOS settings, nothing to show a locked PCI-E slot or any other settings that would limit the PCI-E slot or it's card. Won't boot to Windows, I am running Windows 10 64-bit

Yeah that sounds like legacy support hasn't been enabled.

The Louvre

Is your GPU power draw more than the slot can provide?  Those older proprietary boards can be 50w max output etc (or less!!!).  What is the model number and have you looked into that boards PCI-E power output?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Is your GPU power draw more than the slot can provide?  Those older proprietary boards can be 50w max output etc (or less!!!).  What is the model number and have you looked into that boards PCI-E power output?

I believe I already stated above what the card was and that the slot was not power restraint. The card I use for testing has a 19w power draw from the PCI-E slot, but thanks for asking anyways.

Just now, JacobeeGames said:

I believe I already stated above what the card was and that the slot was not power restraint. The card I use for testing has a 19w power draw from the PCI-E slot, but thanks for asking anyways.

Did you check Legacy support?

The Louvre

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

Just about to do that, working on another PC as well, having BIOS issues with it.

6 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Indeed Legacy Support was disabled, I had to disable secure boot to enable Legacy Support though, hope that's normal.

9 minutes ago, JacobeeGames said:

Just trying to help people while at work.  Its Legacy Support issue after further investigating your mobo which is an MSI Jasmine.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Tristerin said:

Just trying to help people while at work.  Its Legacy Support issue after further investigating your mobo which is an MSI Jasmine.

Indeed it is an MSI Jasmine board, I was able to enable Legacy Support in BIOS now.

4 minutes ago, JacobeeGames said:

Indeed Legacy Support was disabled, I had to disable secure boot to enable Legacy Support though, hope that's normal.

That is normal from what I've read.

The Louvre

1 minute ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

That is normal from what I've read.

Thank you, I'll try the graphics card again in a bit. You may have saved me about 50 dollars that I don't have.

13 minutes ago, JacobeeGames said:

Thank you, I'll try the graphics card again in a bit. You may have saved me about 50 dollars that I don't have.

Well hopefully it works!

The Louvre

20 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Well hopefully it works!

It works, after I run DDU and install the new driver I'll see if both of my plugs in the adapter work for dual monitors. It's really the only reason why I'm not using the integrated graphics right now. 

18 hours ago, JacobeeGames said:

It works, after I run DDU and install the new driver I'll see if both of my plugs in the adapter work for dual monitors. It's really the only reason why I'm not using the integrated graphics right now. 

Glad to hear, it's a super common problem. Definitely run a couple benchmarks with different drivers. Sometimes rolling em back, running older drivers, rolling those back and then running new ones can help increase performance. Haven't looked into why this happens but it does sometimes.

The Louvre