Dont know if this is a bottleneck

52 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

WHAT GAMES?

Apparently Batman Arkham Knight was asking for at least 12gb of ram on windows 10 to run smoothly. Now this has been fixed now after they released a massive 2.4 update for it. The thing is though users with 16gb of ram were getting BSOD and application is using too much ram and will be shutdown errors. Now I am sure some of that is due to people not having the page file setup correctly. That being said there were plenty of reports from people showing it using 12 gb of ram with high pagefile usage too.

Either way this was resolved, but some games just eat lots of ram. Ark Survival Evolved can eat a TON of ram too if you are running on a server with lots of mods.

*Edit* Even 32 GB isn't enough!

same issue

yeah I had this same exact issue happen to me also after I ffinished the practice mode however long that took it immediately used up all 32 GB of my memory and pagefile and everything, I would alt+tab to the desktop to try to load something and I couldn't load anything it just went to saying no available resources to complete process, and the game was still running 60+FPS everything maxed 4k resolution fine just the system wouldn't let me open any programs or anything at all, I couldn't even open task manager or alt+control+delete at all. and when I tried to close the game it STILL said the same thing its like the game locked my memory away in a unusable space temporary. And when I clicked settings in the start menu then clicked on system and then on about and it wouldn't show anything under the processor or the processor ratio/speed or the operating system or even how much RAM my PC has, it would just say information unavailable for it all. but its weird the game ran perfectly fine I could change settings and everything just my system outside of that was unusable until I rebooted the computer. no BSOD also

im running intel-i76850K at 3.9 GHZ (15MB cache)
32 GB DDR4 Corsair vengeance 3000MHZ RAM
MSI godlike gaming carbon MOBO
SLI-MSI GeForce GTX 980TI golden editions
Windows 10 PRO 64bit (and the installation of windows is literally 1 week old so I have nothing besides windows necessities running in background)

From https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1556203-PC-Insane-ram-usage-and-BSOD-in-10-minutes/page2?s=6ad56bcbad1d17807a70f3cb1b3b1457

3 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

For some people that matters. If you want the best FPS you can get and have the money for it... then why not?

For 9 out of 10 gamers, 8GB to 16GB is all that matters. If these gamers wanted better fps, all they gotta do is lower a few graphic settings. If I had the money for an extra 8GB stick to throw into my PC right now, I would not do it. 1-10 fps dude, 1-10. Even if it were 11-20, I'd still much rather live with medium shadows and medium foliage visibility distance than ultra for both. Why? Because for FREE I can get that extra 1-10 or 11-20 fps. 

I actually suspect in 2-3 years we will be seeing games that are taking advantage of the new features released in the last year or so. So more Dx12 games, games that are extremely hyper-threaded and more 4k and higher resolution textures. All of this will be things that can go in to ram to reduce loading time for items. Things are going to get bigger fast as we see more and more extreme resolution pushes.

And I'll still be gaming at 1080p or 1440p at 60-144 fps with my current build. Stutter free. Without a single thought of an extra stick of 8GB RAM. 

Windows 10 will actually try to keep your ram usage at about 50% at all times when not gaming. Which allows you to access items much more quickly and it enhances the user experience.

Which it does right now on 16GB of RAM flawlessly. Flawlessly.

which you don't put much stock in either apparently

Not one, single, stock.

Then you have people who do video editing or 3d Modeling/creation.

I'll never be one of those people. And let me let you in on a little something... Millions, upon million of gamers... Will never be one of those people either.

lots of optimizations and driver updates have fixed high ram usage.

Ding ding ding, whatta we have for her Johnny?

You are entitled to your opinion. Just remember it is yours and don't try to push for other people to have that same opinion. If someone already has 24gb of ram suggesting they pull 8gb of it isn't exactly logical. Now if they were purchasing you would have an argument.

That it is. Not only is it my opinion, it's my experience. Suggesting to pull barely used 8GB of RAM(while instantaneously leaving 16GB of RAM) and getting some cash to put towards other things that matter for much more noticeable performance gain is as logical as it gets. I'm not pushing at all, I'm just the messenger. If they wanna stick with 24GB of RAM and open 15 tabs on a monitor while gaming on a few games that require more than 16GB of RAM, by all means, more power to them.

FYI. I can buy a 16gb set of DDR3000 ram for $99. Your pricing seems off to me.

Scroll up and view where I mentioned that it's "$50.00-$75.00" for 1 stick of 8GB RAM right now. My pricing is almost exact.

36 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Either way this was resolved, but some games just eat lots of ram. Ark Survival Evolved can eat a TON of ram too if you are running on a server with lots of mods.

If it was resolved, what do I care about it now? Batman Arkham Knight runs very well on my PC. I admit it is one PC game that takes a good half hour to get it to perform well but once that half hour of digging and optimizing was over, the game runs just fine now. Ark Survival Evolved is a similar story but didn't take as long as Batman Arkham Knight to optimize it. I rarely play much of Ark SE anymore so I can't tell you about performance with mods in that game. But it doesn't look like 24GB of RAM is necessary for Ark to run nicely on my PC with mods. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ark+fps+mod

1 hour ago, JabroniBaloney said:

No. It hasn't. It was higher.

I exaggerated the amount of time. Since February it was around $79 for the cheapest DDR4-3000 RAM. It hit around $73 again in July.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:00 PM, A Random Dude said:

Does it ever hit 13GB? 14GB? 15GB? Do you ever feel like paying $75.00 for an extra 8GB just for Cities Skylines?

I like to have chrome opened during the game and it helps, I never have to worry, but I once benefited from high ram amount, when I was opening 30gb txt files with leaked passwords from badoo and other sites

2 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

I once benefited from high ram amount

Keyword, once.

3 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

I like to have chrome opened during the game

No iPad or tablet to use Chrome on right on your desk?

2 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Keyword, once.

No iPad or tablet to use Chrome on right on your desk?

but what is the point of the talking now? prooving me that 16gb is TOO much for daily power-using? btw using tablet or even a laptop as a second screen is the worst idea you could've brought into the discsussion LOL XD

as for me 16gb is sweet spot so I wouldn't have to worry about closing any background apps or tabs due to lack of memory, 32 is overkill, 64 is overkill 

13 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

but what is the point of the talking now? prooving me that 16gb is TOO much for daily power-using?

16GB is perfect. I responded because a notification popped up on my PC. I like to respond to most of those.

13 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

using tablet or even a laptop as a second screen is the worst idea you could've brought into the discsussion LOL XD

Why? It's what I do. I even have a second monitor but my CPU won't allow me to play video on it while playing high demanding games. RAM isn't limiting me at all, my CPU is. I could use a web browser no problem but I'm just so used to using a tablet for that, I never even remember to use my second monitor for a web browser. Probably because I've only been using a dual monitor setup for about a month now. I should try it but at the same time I want all the fps I can get. I'll try it when I play less demanding games from now on for sure. I already found out video doesn't work at the same time, it's super laggy due to my i5.

12 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

16gb is sweet spot

16GB is all you need. 24GB is overkill. 32GB is just stupid. 64GB is overly stupid.

23 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

16GB is perfect. I responded because a notification popped up on my PC. I like to respond to most of those.

Why? It's what I do. I even have a second monitor but my CPU won't allow me to play video on it while playing high demanding games. RAM isn't limiting me at all, my CPU is. I could use a web browser no problem but I'm just so used to using a tablet for that, I never even remember to use my second monitor for a web browser. Probably because I've only been using a dual monitor setup for about a month now. I should try it but at the same time I want all the fps I can get. I'll try it when I play less demanding games from now on for sure. I already found out video doesn't work at the same time, it's super laggy due to my i5.

16GB is all you need. 24GB is overkill. 32GB is just stupid. 64GB is overly stupid.

i have 1st gen i7 920 and you say about cpu not allowing to do things ? XD regarding 2 pcs or tablet : 1st thing sound, 2nd, multitasking